Gail's diary and thoughts on her SW journey

Awwwww. You're all just so lovely. Thanks again.

I went out for dinner tonight (again.....!). Went to an italian and although I had been thinking lots about what I might have, I had something different. I chose a vegetarian risotto. It was quite different to what I would usually choose but it was nice (not amazing) but I felt very virtuous. I didn't have enough confidence to ask them not to add any extra butter/oil but it didn't look too fatty so hopefully it wasn't too much although I'm not kidding myself that it didn't have any in. I also had a piece of garlic bread with cheese (which I think will be ok as I haven't had any syns at all today) but it was a bit disappointing as it was nice but not that nice. No pudding though (and if I did have pudding I'd decided that I was going to have fruit salad even though what I would really have liked (as usual !) was the tiramisu). So I think I did fine. One more 'meal out' to go this week - a trip to KFC with some kids (eeek) but I'm hoping to try and find something syn free (is there anything ?????) such as a green salad no dressing and then just have a proper tea when I get home. I just don't want to use my syns on something like that when I can come home and have a mini crunchie or a few pieces of chocolate and marzipan instead.

I don't think I've lost much this week so would be happy with a 0.5lb loss although I hope that if I work really hard (and maybe go for a run tomorrow and/or Saturday if my knee holds up) I may get 1lb. I am quite close to dipping under 13stone so I must keep at it. I would really like to lose at least another stone before we go to Florida (because I'm going SHOPPING :)), so with another 'gourmet' long weekend (OMG - again !!!!!) at Easter I'm going to have to work hard.

I LOVE this site. It helps keep me focused and people here understand the obsession with food/weight etc. I don't think it's unhealthy but hope that in the longer term I can relax a little (while still sticking to the plan) and find a slightly better balance but that remains to be seen.....................

Hope you're all having a lovely week.

Gail x

Oh well done on that 4.5 stone loss Gail, what a heroine you are!! Just fantastic, I'm so impressed (and inspired!)

Hi Gail, well done on trying something a wee bit different at the Italian restaurant. I love a good risotto! And wow, well done on not going for a dessert! X

Grrrrrr. Sometimes I hate computers. Got 2/3 way through a long reply and then the computer decided to shut down and restart for no obvious reason. Bah !!!

So here goes again.............................

Pinkie - your seafood risotto sounded delicious. I love a good seafood risotto. Might have had that instead if it was on offer but it wasn't. And actually the vegetarian one was delicious and made me feel very virtuous (a bonus !).

Champ - I agree with you. Val is doing brilliantly. We will be there to support her on her rollercoaster ride (if she wants us) and I have every confidence in her.

Bess - thank you so much for your lovely comments again. I had a really big smile on my face when I read that.

Jules - as ever, you are so supportive. It really is appreciated.

This week has been a bit mixed for me. I have tried to be a bit more strict with myself because although I almost always stick to the plan (and because of that I have been able to have a little bit of what I fancy when it's around and worth it) but I had become a bit more lax about having a bit of everything that was around rather than picking and choosing the bits that are worth it. So this week I have said no to quite a bit of stuff (which is good) but had a bit of what I fancied when I thought it would be worth it. So that has made me feel good.

However (there's always a but.........!) I have had a couple of 'out of control' moments. That is quite unusual for me as I have really been very good at not having those moments since starting this so I was quite disappointed in myself. What has been reassuring though is how quickly and easily I've got 'back on' which is a relief because that's one of the things that I've found hard/worrying in the past. I'm hoping for a loss on Sunday but I think worst case is a STS. That's fine because I have continued to try hard and if I don't lose, I will lose next week. Next week I have 1 meal out and 1 day out in London (which will inevitably involve at least 1 meal out but possibly 2) so I will need to continue to be focused and committed. The week after that, no meals out (phew !) but 2 meals at other people's houses so I will have to have a think about how I deal with those.

So, I am optimistic that things are still going well. Like Jules (although I still have a way to go) I worry about how I will cope when/if I get to target. The losses are great, but how will I deal with some of the other issues/feelings that losing weight may unmask. Will I ever feel 'slim' or even 'not fat' ?? And why do I still not have confidence that I will get there - I still say 'if' ??? Hey ho, at least these are good issues to deal with rather than the total lack of confidence in myself that was developing before I started SW :)

Gail x

However (there's always a but.........!) I have had a couple of 'out of control' moments. That is quite unusual for me as I have really been very good at not having those moments since starting this so I was quite disappointed in myself. What has been reassuring though is how quickly and easily I've got 'back on' which is a relief because that's one of the things that I've found hard/worrying in the past.

So, I am optimistic that things are still going well. Like Jules (although I still have a way to go) I worry about how I will cope when/if I get to target. The losses are great, but how will I deal with some of the other issues/feelings that losing weight may unmask. Will I ever feel 'slim' or even 'not fat' ?? And why do I still not have confidence that I will get there - I still say 'if' ??? Hey ho, at least these are good issues to deal with rather than the total lack of confidence in myself that was developing before I started SW :)

Gail x

I think Gail, that you can take heart from what you said in your first paragraph, with regard to your fears in the second.
Being able to get back on track after a diversion is excellent. Not doing this is what derails most of us, so well done and feel confident about the future.

The other issues: It can take a long time for a new slim figure to seem that way to us, even relections in the mirror don't seem true. I've never managed to stay slim long enough for this feeling to wear off, but I should think it takes quite a while to accept the differences.

I've only ever done the Cambridge diet before, which I found is wonderful for weight loss (the first time only), but poor for maintenance for most people who follow it. There SW differs hugely and I am optimistic that maintenance will not be very hard, along with a little head work as well.

I think from what I have read in your diary, that you can be optimistic about the future too! xx

p.s. While I am sorry that you had those 'out of control moments', I am very glad that you wrote about them on here. An honest account of SW and normal human behaviour is so heartening to me!

Hi Gail,

As you know I am very scared of reaching target. I find it so hard to explain why but someone else hit the nail on the head the other day when they said "it feels like I am losing a part of me" or something- it's kind of like that- silly as I'll still be going to group and still sticking to the diet. But it kind of feels like it will be the end of an era.

Plus I often wonder what has become of people who were on here when I first joined, reached target then have never been back on! Are they maintaining and finding it dead easy so they don't need to? Or are they back in their old habits? I don't want that to happen to me!!

We shall see anyway. As usual Gail you have a way with words though and I know exactly what you mean and can relate to a lot of what you say. I have never really had a day "off" plan but it's because I'm too scared, anal and strict with myself so not sure if that's actually a good thing!!!!

Hope you're having a nice weekend so far!!!! Will be sharing some of it with u tomoz! X

Well, I lost 2.5lbs today :D I am so close to getting my BMI <30 it's a bit scary. I am now the lowest I have been for 10 yrs and heading quite quickly for the lowest I've ever been as an adult.

Had a good weekend and am positive about the week to come. Have a couple of meals out (as usual !) but confident that I can manage those within my syns.

Thanks for your lovely comment yesterday Bess. Good luck for Tuesday.

Gail x

Good morning Gail
Fantastic loss and once again you've shown how SW can work when eating out so long as you're sensible! Hope you have a great week...
Mongoosed

Gail well done one your 2.5lb loss this week, fantastic! Your BMI will be under 30 in no time :)
Very best of luck for this coming week x

Hi Gail, thank you for that lovely post in my diary, it really did make me feel better!

I'm feeling much more positive today, I know all the stuff you said is true and I'll just keep going!

All the best for this week :)

Well, I lost 2.5lbs today :D I am so close to getting my BMI <30 it's a bit scary. I am now the lowest I have been for 10 yrs and heading quite quickly for the lowest I've ever been as an adult.

Had a good weekend and am positive about the week to come. Have a couple of meals out (as usual !) but confident that I can manage those within my syns.

Thanks for your lovely comment yesterday Bess. Good luck for Tuesday.

Gail x

You're doing fabulously well, Gail, it's so exciting that you're getting really close to goal - you're very inspirational!

hi gail thanks for ur post x am back on track again thank goodness ;) i hate it when i go off plan and its happened too much lately any excuse and i'm off :mad: do i want to be back to square one- no :cry:
love val xx :D

Thanks mongoosed, Val and Clareel. Your support is much appreciated.

You're doing fabulously well, Gail, it's so exciting that you're getting really close to goal - you're very inspirational!

Thanks for your confidence in me. I'm not sure about getting close to goal yet (!) but I'm getting close to a few of my big milestones. BMI under 30 (big milestone - I would no longer 'register' on statistics as being obese, significant risk to health etc etc), 5 stone and then I'm only just over a stone over my lowest EVER adult weight.

I think I still want to lose AT LEAST another 2 stone but quite possibly another 3 stone. I don't think it matters to me exactly what weight I am but I'd like to be into a 'normal' BMI so that I know how it feels ! However I want to feel as though I can sustain whatever weight I get to (by continuing on SW) so if I only manage to lose another 2 stone, then so be it.

Thanks for your visit to my thread Catherine. Hope you're getting on well.

This week is going ok but not brilliantly !

Yesterday I was in London for the day. Started off well with a SW breakfast and avoiding the bacon butties on the train. However had most of my syns for the day on galaxy counters on the journey. I try not to use my syns up too early (psychology) - I feel a bit vulnerable if I don't have any left for the evening time which is my weakness.

Lunch was italian - I avoided the pizza (good !) but didn't choose my main quite as well as I should have (pasta but a slightly creamy sauce rather than not creamy) and then had pudding. Which would have been ok had I avoided the galaxy counters on the train !

Then had biscuits on the train but nothing else that day. Oh dear. I think with hindsight I should have avoided the counters on the train on the way down because I knew we might have lunch out. And should have avoided the biscuits on the way back. Lunch out I should have stuck to my guns and chosen what I knew was the most SW friendly.

Today has been better. I used all my syns but stuck within my limits. Tomorrow I have a work lunch at a meeting I'm at and then am out for dinner at a restaurant. However I am determined to stick to my syns. I think I might take my own lunch because the work lunch is probably just going to be sandwiches and cake. So better to just avoid temptation and do my own thing. Restaurant in the evening I just need to be a bit assertive and make sure that we go somewhere that I can make a sensible choice. My friend is lovely and knows about my SW plan so I know that she'll go along with it. Fingers crossed !

I really need to try some new recipes - I tend to make the same things. So I have my sights set on kedgeree that I saw on Little Sausages thread and chicken and chorizo rice from Capricorns thread. I will let you know how they go !

Thanks for reading and for your support (and oops, sorry for the long post.........................again !).

Gail x

good morning gail :wavey: u've made me fancy kedgeree now i love it (lucky for me my son runs a fishmongers will have to give him a call) i am feeling very positive today so my day will be on plan. have a good day :)
love val xx

I've had a much better today.

Green day for me (more cereal bars !!!). Had a meeting at work in the morning. Saw quite a few people there that I don't see very often so had lots of comments about my losses. Avoided the biscuits at tea time and then left despite the free lunch (sandwiches, salad and cakes which I just didn't feel that I could go near without having the odd sausage roll, crisp and cake). Then this afternoon one of the mums of a family that I work with also commented on my weight loss which was also lovely. Turns out she is also doing SW and has lost 2 stone :). Then my evening out was cancelled which was great - so no meal out which makes life a bit easier and a (very rare) evening at home. Yay.

100% on plan again so feeling good. Hoping for another loss again this week (anything will be fine).

Gail x

Yay Gail, it sounds like you're having a terrific week too - I think yoiu're going to have another fab loss this week!

Aren't you good Gail! Well done on avoiding that buffet! And it must have felt nice to get those comments. It must be nice to randomly meet another SWer, I Always try to look for them at the supermarket by nosying in trolleys (am I obsessed?!) but never find any!!!

Good luck for this week!

Xxxxx

Back