Gammon Joint

Shirleen

Gold Member
Hi, I've got a joint of unsmoked Gammon and wanted to do something like a diet coke type thing with it but I have no idea how. Can any of you clever people steer me in the right direction please?
Yours Hopefully

Just bung it in a pan, pour your coke over it ( I always add a couple of bay leaves and some peppercorns but you don't have to) and bring to the boil then simmer gently with lid on until cooked. How long it takes depends on the size but a small bit won't take longer than an hour.
Even better if you have a slow cooker do it in there on slow and it's absolutely lovely!!!

Here is my recipe for bacon.

Pete’s Diet Coke Boiling Bacon

Piece of boiling bacon
2 Ltr bottle of Diet Coke
Old saucepan

Cooking with Diet Coke may sound weird but believe me it works.

The Coke appears to draw out all the salt and other ingredients used in preparing the bacon and giving it a dark rich colour and flavour.

Don’t worry about the colour of the cooked Coke, it will look horrible but you will be throwing it away.
Your saucepan will look terrible but it will wash up ok, just don’t use your best pan.

Weight the bacon joint to work out the cooking time.
20 mins per 1lb + 20 mins
Use an old pan if possible as it gets messy
Put joint into pan and cover in Diet Coke

Bring to the boil; keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t boil over, very messy!
Turn down heat and allow to simmer.
Keep the joint covered with coke.

The joint is cooked when you can push a skewer through the thickest part of the joint.
Remove and THROW AWAY the Coke, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRINK THE COKE!

Add to drain and cool on a sloping drip tray.

Enjoy!

You will never cook a bacon joint any other way after tasting this……..

Attachments

• IMG_0137 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0137 (Large).JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_0138 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0138 (Large).JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0139 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0139 (Large).JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Finished bacon.JPG
    Finished bacon.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 394
Oh my God this was lovely and i don't even like gammon i bought it for him indoors!

How long did you leave it in slow cooker for please? Im going to do the diet cherry coke verson at the weekend :) yum...with salad and new pots :))

Does anyone have any ideas other than diet coke - can't stand the stuff myself! I used to use apple juice watered down with water, but used to use an enture litre which i am guessing is very synful! Though i'm not planning on drinking it so maybe not.

Sorry for the ramble!

Back