Gammon?

On ss+, and really getting bored of chicken, tuna, quorn...
How bad can a nice bit of lean unsmoked gammon be? Im cooking it for the family tonight and would really love to have some!!
:wave_cry:

I eat it a lot and my loses are good. Don't think it effects you. I think it's coz it's higher in cals. X

Aw thank you!! Good to know it hasn't effected you! I will only have a little bit with some mushrooms and I am swimming tomoz so will make up for it...
Excited now :)

Ooh sticky subject, as I saw someone else on here say the other day, they stick to the book because thats whats proven to work. How do you know that having Gammon hasn't affected your losses? You could have lost more that week if you hadn't had some.

I would say you are best off contacting cambridge HQ to see if you can have it, the best sources of protein are poultry and fish so thats why these are listed in the book. :)

This is very true Lauren, and I am sure Cambridge HQ would say no :(
I havent lost much in the last 2 weeks so cant really compare it... would be quite pleasing though if I ate it and lost more :)

I think you need to make this diet work for you. If that means sticking to it 100% and never letting so much as a carrot stick pass your lips that's fine; if it means having a bit of gammon with your family so you're not miserable that you're missing out that's fine too.

Maybe it will affect your loss, maybe it won't. There's no real way of knowing. It's your diet, your body and your choice. If it is more likely to make you stick to the diet in the long run and you won't beat yourself up for it later then go for it!

Would it mean anything because it is salty? Might that mean you may retain water.

Ms Pea makes an excellent point: if gammon is what it will take to stop you falling mouth first onto a pile of junk food, then have the gammon. It could be worse.

I think it would be foolish to imagine that it will have no effect. Cured meats are high in salt, which may cause water retention, and it is higher in fat and therefore calories. However, the effect may well be negligible.

The phrase 'it doesn't affect my losses' is always inaccurate, though... because you just don't know. Even under clinical trials it would be near impossible to determine what your weightloss would have been without it. the same input will have different effects on different people, or even on the same person from one week to the next.

If you're on the 'wide road', safely knowing you will get there but on your on terms and in your own time, then you can trade off the pleasure of the gammon against the potential that it might set you back. If time is of the essence, however - you stick exactly to the letter of the book... because that's guaranteed the fastest way.

Well I guess your right. I guess I will never know if it's effected me badly. All I know is that for myself I find this diet a lot more achievable by not sticking to the diet to the book 100% :s and I guess because I have had good loses nearly every week I have never had to worry. Now I'm not suggesting everyone go wild at all but it's what works well for me. Don't get me wrong I'm not eating chocolate or sweets I just have the occasional protein source that's not in the book. As long as its got no carbs, no sugar and no citric acid in whats the worst that can happen. I also have never had any serious erges to cheat because i look forward to my meat and veg. My CDC has never told me to do anything differently.
Then again I appreciate people are on a dead line (which luckly I'm not) and like to stick to it 100% and that's brilliant if it's working for them. Maybe if I had stuck to it too the book I might have lost and few more pounds but I don't think I could have done it for as long as I had?
Anyway essay over! Good luck to everyone and hope you all find what works for you all xxx

Back