• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Garlic/Onion Salt, Powder, Granules syn value

Hi everyone,

First post! I'm sure part of this question has been answered in past posts but I cant seem to find a complete answer anywhere online including the Slimming World Syns Online.

I'm wondering if Garlic Salt/Powder/Granules and Onion Salt/Powder/Granules are free?

I know that the powders and granules have different consistencies and possibly added baking powder or starches etc.

I've heard that the salts are free but again I can't find this anywhere on the Syns Online.

I don't want to get into the habit of using them if they are not free etc.

It can sometimes be really confusing to figure out which spices or flavourings have a syn value. I know a lot of the 'seasoning mixes do' as they have hidden oils and starches and I wonder do the Garlic and Onion dried additives fall under this category?

If I'm honest, I'm not ever 100% sure the differences between the content of the three types of each ( other than that they appear in recipes) so info on that too would be much appreciated :)
Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
Hello! Will do my best to answer this question!
I'm pretty confident that garlic powder/onion powder/celery salt etc is free as I've seen it used in SW recipes that are free-they are classed as a dried spice/condiment(?). Salt is free too.
Things like chilli con carne/shepherds pie mixes usually have syns because they contain flour, to make the sauce nice and thick. That said, say the whole packet had 4 syns in, by the time you'd portioned it up, it would probably be around 1 syn each. This is good to be aware of, because I find sometimes I avoid things that have syns without really thinking about how little it would be in a portion!
Hope this helps!
As far as I'm aware, and I've never been told different, all herbs and spices are free. I never count them and I use them in everything!
Thanks so much for the replies. Great to know that they are all free! I had read somewhere that the different salts (Garlic/Onion) were free but I worried that the powders and even the granules might have had those same hidden flours or starches that are in the Shepherds Pie mixes etc and would be syned.

I also overlook how little the syn value might be once the dish is portioned up.