General Questions about my diet and Lifestyle

Hello everybody,
I am trying to lose weight, I'm 16 years old and weight 88.9KG, I am overweight :(
To stay my weight I apparently need to eat around 2800 calories per day.
To lose weight I must eat around 1600 calories a day.
Now, I wanted to ask, what should I eat? I have been getting a lot more active over the past month, I've lost 0.5kg, it's not much but it's something!
I just don't think that I'm eating properly!
In my average day, I eat around 1500 calories which I don't think is too little! (correct me if I'm wrong)
Here is an example of my average day
Breakfast = Corn flakes - 200 calories
Snack/lunch time = Some fruit, usually an apple or portion of grapes, with a sausage roll or baguette. - around 350 calories
Afternoon snack- Buttered Toast / yogurt - 150-200 calories
Dinner - Something involving chicken, or some sort of meat, e.g. chicken wraps (lettuce and peppers included) - around 600-750 calories
So I end up at around 1500 calories, but is there a problem with what I eat?
Could anybody give me some examples of what I could eat? ( I am slightly fussy with foods but not that much.)
Also, should I start to drink protein shakes? e.g. Whey Protein from Holland and Barrett's? I often weightlift so do I drink it before and after, how much do I drink? ( I was sort of unsure about drinking them as I am going through changes at this age and did not know if any effects would occur in my body)
I have been doing a lot more exercise over the past month and do feel fitter but I am not really losing weight, I would be drinking the Protein Shakes to increase muscle mass / lose fat. (Just wanted to clarify that I'm active!)

Many thanks for taking time to read and respond to my thread!

Last edited:
food wise a good balance is the best, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, water. keeping the unhealthy snacks to a minimum (but do allow them as treats), when ive cut them out completely ive craved and craved then binged on them. by eating them as treats, and every now and then i dont get the cravings to binge :)

protein shakes.... i usally follow what it says on the directions and use on the back of the tub personally

0.5kg is a great start, well done :)

another thing, you say you do weights.... keep an eye on your body fat percentage. weights could make you stay the same or heavier yet your body fat could lower dramatically

food wise a good balance is the best, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, water. keeping the unhealthy snacks to a minimum (but do allow them as treats), when ive cut them out completely ive craved and craved then binged on them. by eating them as treats, and every now and then i dont get the cravings to binge :)

protein shakes.... i usally follow what it says on the directions and use on the back of the tub personally

0.5kg is a great start, well done :)

another thing, you say you do weights.... keep an eye on your body fat percentage. weights could make you stay the same or heavier yet your body fat could lower dramatically

Thank you Gina! Great advice about having treats instead of cutting them out completely, how would I go about finding out my body fat percentage? I can physically see the change in my body, but I've heard of something called a caliper, although, I have no idea what they are :S

Your local Boots or Lyyods may have a weight machine that also works out your body fat..You can buy them but I'm not sure how much they cost and weather or not you have the spare cash at 16 :)

As Gina say's keep your diet varied plenty of fruit and veg and try not to use to many empty calories... Buttered toast and sausage roll very nice but you could stock up on nuts instead. Processed food is full of nasties!!!

Have you had a look at MyFitnessPal?? It works out you cals and helps you track your food intake..

Good luck :)

yep i use the scales at boots, i dont have any other way of knowing it without these scales! think its 70p to use it, either 70p or 50p

Hello MyWeightloss - I love the name - I wish I had thought of that!

Well done on your weight loss so far. You are monitoring your intake and calories of food, so that is really positive, plus you are active.

I am 31, so I now have a 15 years of dieting experience. I started my first diet when I was 15/16 because I felt overweight. Through the years I have realised that my first mistake was to "diet" - I should have chosen a sensible eating plan. My advice to you would be to join a weight loss club - Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Rosemary Connelly. You will get a lot of support and guidance, which will make your diet more successful in the longer term. The class leader will explain how you can retain your slim new body.

I would say that steady weight loss of 0.5kg a month is better, than huge losses. You will reach your goal. If you lose weight through exercise, you are much more likely to maintain that weight, rather than yo-yo up and down.

I would also suggest that you keep a food diary and you use MyFitnessPal to check the calories of foods. The food you have listed all seems low calorie and healthy. Keeping a food diary will help you remember any items you may have forgotten. Some items are deceptively high in calories - Orange juice, or ribena for example.

best of luck and keep posting

Thank you all for your responses!
Regarding the name, yes I thought I would make it as relevant as possible, I guess it is, haha!
I read somewhere that electronic fat percentage scales often take your muscle mass and use that as fat as well, so I would have a higher percentage of body fat than I actually do? (please correct me if the information I read was incorrect!)
Also, small steps, I suppose I should just call my weight loss, a more active and healthy lifestyle instead :)
I will take a look at myfitnesspal, thanks everyone!

Back