German Market

oooh sausages and beer :) sounds great Jim :D

not beer for me, gluhwein Vicky.

is that like mulled wine?

Sounds fab Jim! I'm off to Cologne for the markets on 16 December (was paid for ages ago) and never been to one before, so am looking forward to it :)

Hiya,

Please don't drink all the gluhwein Jim as I am visiting Birmingham on the 18th December and I can't wait! Never been before as it means travelling a couple of hours but staying overnight so it should be a good weekend!

Ladyfelsham, I used to live near Koln and the Christmas market is out of this world, you'll love it!

Ooh exciting :) yes what are you going to buy?

Susie,

There are four big Christmas markets from what I remember in different parts of the city and each of them differ in the type of stalls. All of them are worth a visit if you have time. I loved taking my kids to the market in Rudolfplatz as its straight from a fairy tale. Gorgeous surroundings! Look out for food stalls though, they all look very tempting and there is so much to choose from! If you haven't tried it already, stollen is yummy!

Arghhhhhh I wanna go back. Germany feels more like home to me and I forgot how much I miss it!

I'm very jealous Susie.

Nikki x

Oooh Cologne, my favourite city in all the world.

You have to go to Peters Brauhaus for a meal, its amazing. But go late afternoon, its usually packed in the evenings.

The markets are great. Enjoy!

I am actually going to get there this year Jim if it kills me !!

Whilst we're on the subject of Christmas markets, has anyone been to Lille? I managed to book a very very cheap day trip to France and we're thinking about travelling from Calais to Lille for the day on Saturday but not having been before I wondered if anyone can tell me if it's worth a visit?

Thanks,

Nikki

Whilst we're on the subject of Christmas markets, has anyone been to Lille? I managed to book a very very cheap day trip to France and we're thinking about travelling from Calais to Lille for the day on Saturday but not having been before I wondered if anyone can tell me if it's worth a visit?

Thanks,

Nikki

Thx Nik and Tange, suggestions noted!

I've been to Lille quite a few times on Eurostar for long weekends - very nice little city and well worth the break. The old town is lovely (with fab shops, pricey but worth a browse) and there's the hugest market out of town (a short train ride, check with the Tourist Info office in town) on the weekends - go early and mooch around for hours - food, antiques, clothes, everything.

Lots of art too - lovely big art gallery in town, and another one close to the market (I think).

Food is French/Flemish, there are restaurants everywhere and everyone speaks some English.

You'll enjoy it!

Susie

Arghhhhhh I wanna go back. Germany feels more like home to me and I forgot how much I miss it!

I'm very jealous Susie.

Nikki x

I know how you feel Nikki, I grew up in Germany as an Army pad rat, then served there myself. I've probably lived longer there than here. :)

do you ever go back and visit Jim?

We will be going to the German Markets in Manchester, went for the first time last year and loved it, although I was on Exante at the time so could only watch the Missus eat lol. This year the bratwurst and roast piggies are gonna get it :D May try the gluwine too - just to be sociable :D I loved the whole ambience and got a beautiful recycled glass necklace and earrings for crimbo.

do you ever go back and visit Jim?

No Vicky, Colleen and I have a retirement holiday planned when we will go and visit all the places we have lived abroad. :)

So that's:

Germany, Hamburg, Osnabruck, Detmold, Bielefeld, Bad Oeynhausen. Iserlohn.
Egypt, Alexandraia and Al Fayum.
Trucial Oman States, Abu Dhabi, Masquat.
Singapore
Hong Kong
Norway, Tromso.
Lisburn NI.
Cyprus, Dhekilia, Akrotiri.

and London :)

Last edited:
Back