Getting Disheartened with the whole dieting thing.

Becksie

Banned
Hello

I need some help, I've been trying to get fit been to the gym 3 times this week, aqua aerobics twice, sticking to 1200 calories a day, and still no weight loss? I seemed to have slowed right down and mainly losing a pound a week which the rational side of me thinks is great but the Impatient side thinks why can't I lose more with all this exercise?
Think I'm just having a bad day!

You would probably lose more weight if you stuck to the 1200 and cut the exercise out entirely or kept it to a 20 minute walk a few times a week (or daily).

Overdoing the exercise on a low calorie diet won't really help with a short term weight loss and it won't show on the scales even though you are burning fat:

1. You will be changing your body composition from being fatty to being muscly - which is a great thing and will change your body shape and appearance but it won't necessarily lead to fast weight loss showing on the scales as muscle is 'heavy'.

2. If you are overdoing the exercise, your body will hold on to a lot of water so that it can repair itself. All exercise causes tissue damage, that is what makes muscles stronger - and to repair that the body floods the tissues with water. So you could have lost fat but be holding onto fluid weight.

Although what you are doing will be improving your body in the long term, and is mostly definitely going to do your figure some good, the loss will be slower, especially at the point you are at where you are not very much overweight. If you like doing the workouts so much then it might be an idea to switch from measuring your weight to taking waist/hip/arm/leg, etc measurements? Or take photos every few weeks so you can see your body changing. Alternatively, i'd suggest cutting down the exercise or at least making your workouts a bit 'easier' to give your body a break.

Finally, remember it is going to be slow as you are nearing goal. Keep going onwards, and you WILL get there - even without the changes i suggest above, just bear in mind the reasons i suggested for slower looking weightloss and if you stick with it things will work out it's just going to take time. You can do this so hang in there!

Are you eating back some of what you burn? If your on 1200 like me then I find I don't lose much when I work out a lot. I think because my net cals end up in the 800 range which is too low for me. I had a week off the work outs last week and shifted 5 lbs on 1200 a day? So I really need to keep my NET at least over 1000 but at 1200 if possible? Might be worth you trying that?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Losing a pound a week is pretty great, I think. And frankly if I were you, I would continue to lose slowly and keep exercising. The reason being that you have much more chance of maintaining that loss because you will be creating an exercise habit for life. You also won't look flabby and have loose skin once you're done losing. A lot of people lose loads of weight quickly, don't exercise enough or build any muscle, and are faced with a body that is thinner but not a very nice shape with no muscle tone. I have been there. Weight loss speeds up and slows down over time as well. Sometimes you'll drop a lot at once, sometimes it will slow to a crawl. But it always evens out. You are doing on your plan what most people don't have the willpower to do -- eat right and exercise! That will stay with you for life if you create that habit now. If you are getting impatient and want to lose more, have a look at the actual things you are eating. Cut down on refined carbs, the usual stuff like bread or white potatoes. They can be low fat or low calorie but they also trigger insulin production which can tell your body to hang onto fat.

Thanks for all your advice, think my problem is I'm not eating enough, I have counted everything I've eaten this week and below my calories. Haven't had time for the gym either as I work shifts and have been at work. Think I'm going to focus on inches rather than pounds my clothes are feeling better and also looking better and hopefully I'll get toned up along the way!

weightloss can stall. Dont worry too much, keep doing what youre doing and the scales will go down again. If still nothing, try 1000 calories a day. Dont go lower though. I think exercise is great coz youre toning and though not showing on scales, I bet you look slimmer. Im on a vlcd but Ive been on food plans before to lose weight and though Ive never lost as much as I wanted on anything, Ive read and know all the diet info. From all Ive read about weightloss, Im not giving you dishonest advice, hope you get your mojo back, sure you will x

I've just started my weight plan and its been very slow progress. Lost 4lbs first week and have stayed the same the next two. I've seen this in alot of people so maybe it just takes time. Hopefully you'll see some results soon :)

Back