Getting it Done :D

Just got home (ended up all over the place today)

BP is up but not stupidly up (140/92 I think). Not been put back on tablets as its not too bad/urgent and can wait a week. She wants the GP to come up with an action plan with results to hand, but said I will likely end back on bp meds.

Bloods taken, they added on a test to check if I'm early menopause as my periods have been weird (like symptomatic but not showing up etc). I put it down to weight as they tend to come back when I've lost some. However, this whole bp thing was same time as I got the period that never was.
For me, one of my migraine triggers are totm related so my body clearly doesn't like having them.

Got weighed there too, her scales are under by 10kg/22lb (ish) from mine (we checked twice as I was like nope that's way off). I doubt they took THAT much blood :classic_tongue:. I got back to my sis in laws house and jumped on her scales to check and hers are weighting me roughly same as mine. Saves me buying new ones although I want to let the nurse know when she hopped on and said that it was her normal reading, she's put on a bunch without realising :rotflmao:

Need to get an ECG or EKG - can't even remember which one she said (routine with bp stuff apparently) but that will be a month at least until that's through and back to nurse 2 weeks after doctors for another bp check.

Oh and need to hand in a urine sample. (so much fun for me this week right?)

Nurse didn't even moan at me about vaping instead of smoking though. Was quite supportive about the fact I quit (2 years ago lol).

Was hungry while out and I resisted getting a gregs sausage roll and went to the butchers and got some cold meat slices instead. I CAN make good choices now and again haha. Lets not mention the (low points) crisps and can of soup with bread that I nommed at 3am this morning. I tracked it all and its come off weekly points so I would still expect a loss (HAHAHA like thats going to show with current situation).

So tonight's plan is have my dinner (chicken cooked in oxo with carrot, onion and potatoes - what i pre-make and freeze) and a bit of fruit later and I won't want to (borrowing chilli's term here) "hoover up the contents of the fridge".
Hope I will be asleep early, I didn't sleep well last night and am a bit knackered :)

Leaving a "pile of hugs" for anyone needing one, help yourself <3 <3 <3

I'll take one of those hugs, thanks xx

All seems positive that they are checking everything out to make sure they get to the bottom of it (that's my urine sample joke sneaked in there lol) - and well done on the food choices. I don't sleep great either and it's very hard to resist easy to grab for food during the night. I have hard boiled eggs and other bits of protein in the frisdge for those moments.

Reactions: GLL
I'll have a hug too :) not enough of those going around these days.

Good to hear the BP isn't a panic and they're looking into everything, but I can imagine it all adds to the stress.

Please don't hoover the contents of the fridge lol

🤗🤗🤗

I went to sleep super early, was up at midnight. Grabbed a banana and yogurt and waited until 8am to get brekkie so I didnt blow my points out of the water.
I did sleep tho this afternoon so I'm waking up to having missed and its time for tea. (I'm so broken LOL)

Plan is to make sweet chilli chicken with some rice n veg for dinner and have "lunch" later on tonight and hope I can still sleep at some point :whistle:.

In between, there is some minecraft begging to be played :D (im a huge gaming nerd)

scales showing my lowest weight so far by -1lb. I can't keep tabs on whats this week, last week, what i saw on the scales 3 weeks ago, water, fat etc so lets just look at overall lowest and call it done until I can get fluid under control LOL.

There's still a bunch fluid in my feet and ankles so I know there's probs a reasonable loss in there somewhere, just nice to see some of it peeking through and enough to motivate me to keep on track.

great stuff @GLL something must be working, hopefully once they sort your fluid you'll literally have a big whoosh

My son loves minecraft, he plays it loads, among other things. I used to game I especially loved tomb raider, rockband and shooting zombies. I don't play anymore though.

You've just got to grab the sleep where you can eh? And in the meantime, Minecraft :D.

I like merge and word apps, that's about as gaming as I get lolol x

Nothing major to update with but was looking for some feedback.

Been looking into the benefits of going low carb / keto and was wondering if any of you have tried it, and what your experience was? (both with loss and if you had anything medically change while on it).

much as I'm on exante at the moment, the stone I've already lost before starting was done on low carb. I find full keto a step too far myself in the carb deprivation, but it absolutely works! Just going lower carb like I did definitely also helps. I basically stopped eating bread, pasta and potato other than very occasional small amounts, I ate rice probably once a week but smaller portion than before. You can pack your plate with salad and some of the less carby veg, and make some lovely soups and have as much eggs, cheese, chicken, meat etc as you like really. I don't find it too hard to follow when I'm in the right mindset, and long term I think it's the right way to go, and what I will return to later, along with intermittent fasting.

Check out the Diet Doctor web site, it has amazing resources, also if you like a sciencey but really well explained read about obesity - try the obesity code by Jason Fung, if not just look for his videos on youtube, he explains the research of the past and present in a really easy to understand way. I also benefitted from the Blood sugar diet book by Michael Mosely, which may have been replaced by a newer version.

Eating lower carb definitely helps if you are pre-diabetic, or type 2 (although you should chat to doc if medication is involved) and if like me you are insulin resistant, have PCOS or any other wonky hormonal thing going on.

So yes, despite the fact I'm not actually on it at the moment, I believe less carbs combined with intermittent fasting is an excellent and healthful path to choose.

I'm on 20-30g (approx) low carb/with a bit of IF - and absolutely love it. I joined the Keto Fitness Club for all their resources - UK family, lots of fab recipes online and YT videos - and they do bread! They have a kickstart workshop, I think the next one is mid November, but have a good browse around this - https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/

The following will make it sound like I'm in the pay of the KFC but I am just such a fan. This is week 5 for me, weigh in day tomorrow, and so far I've lost 17lbs. I'm loving cooking, but nothing has to be a major kitchen challenge, just protein and a bit of veg - but I would really recommend you do the workshop. I thought I knew it all where low carb was concerned but couldn't have been more wrong. I took notes through my workshop and some key things were -

- eating carbs makes you tired
- one calorie is not like another, our body treats them differently
- high blood pressure = a low tolerance to carbs
- low fat long term is proven to lead to metabolic damage (he produces evidence but I can't remember what it was)
- there is no nutritional value in carbs - so that's why we eat so much of them - because we're eating until we get our protein requirement
- protein is more important the older we get
- our fuel comes from fat, and this fat comes protein
- don't overload with added fats like cream etc at the start
- don't worry about tracking, listen to your body, use measurements as your tracking

Medically - I told my GP and he was delighted, he's on low carb himself, ditto my cardio consultant (I saw him in week 3) - who said even though it was early days for me on low carb, he was sure it had contributed to my BP stabilising and my heart rate dropping from dangerous to normal, and I now don't have to go back to see him for another 12 months.

Have a look at the KFC Facebook public group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/KetoFitnessClubPublic - they do face to face Friday where people share pics and stories, some of which are incredible - it's not always about huge losses (although those are there too) but about how people now feel they have conquered bad eating patterns, anxiety, and so on - and they are just such a nice bunch, hugely supportive.

I really do see this being a lifestyle choice now - and I'm making and eating glorious food, losing weight and looking after myself.

Examples of meals over the last few days -
- chicken coconut curry
- pork belly with a salt and pepper rub on cauli mash with cream and butter
- beef stroganoff
- lamb shawarma
- cauli mac and cheese - absolutely lovely with a bit of sproing onion and bacon bits

I'll stop going on about them now lol - but shout if you have any questions. The shop can be expensive, and there are cheaper alternatives, but I honestly feel like it's the best move I could have made, I was really floundering before x

I will see where everything stands on Friday after doctors. see if there's stuff going on with bloodwork etc etc.
I might bring it up as a conversation if there is time.

I'm doing my tesco shop today/tomorrow for Thursday and I'm thinking even within my current WW plan I can be more protein focused than I have been. WW points ALWAYS are better value having protein vs carbs (I suppose that tells you something).

I'll have a look at my WW diet go to items (shakes / small amount of potatoes with dinner most days etc) and see if I can readjust somewhat for the next week and go from there.

Appreciate the feedback, I'm not one to jump diets and if I come off the one I'm on, I need to consider kiddo and the support she needs to stay on weight watchers (which suits her). A lot to think about. I'm very aware that the last time I did this ww plan was roughly 10 years ago and I'm older and I know its not going to be the same journey this time with other health stuff cropping up.

I saw the link you posted in another thread for KFC and I did have a browse in there already earlier before I posted here :classic_wink:

The TY vid was called fat fiction - full movie - free
I haven't fact checked anything in it so not going to post direct link x

I mean to update here after checking out other threads ages ago and I have no idea where my brain wandered off to :whistle:

Anyway got a couple of texts today from GP.
One saying blood results were back and to contact the practice for an appointment. Second one was there was a script sent to the chemist for me.

So I phoned and its for folic acid because of folate deficiency. Not sure what else is in bloods but will find out Friday I guess (and pickup the script).

Also -1lb showed on a random weigh in. thats 7lb in 5 weeks (lets just ignore other numbers I've been getting LOL)

My surgery always gets me to make appointments for bloods results, even though it's never very much, a raised level of something, for example.

And yaye to the pound (I'm assuming it's a loss)! Gosh just look at your stats, you have done so well hun - have you been doing measurements too?

nah, no measurements and yes, showing a loss but it will bounce back up to about a +6 ish by tomorrow LOL

The total loss is over 18 months or so but was fairly casual (pretty much just cut out a lot of sweet stuff and snacking on rubbish) until I knuckled down properly in august. I'm -19lb since then.

Ignore those plus bounces, only count the minus ones!

Hope the folic acid helps and that the appointment goes well on Friday :)

so seeing another almost -2lb again today. guess the fluid is shifting itself (like the night before i have my appointment lol).
Thats a -9 ish in 5 weeks which is much more what I would expect at this point, sticking to plan.

Can't wait to just be normal again and stop weighing myself. Starting to feel obsessive but its a good indicator if things are starting to shift about and I need to see some numbers going down and not up to maintain my motivation.

I will keep and eye until my next proper weigh in day (wed) and if its staying off ill go back to once a week with maybe a single sneaky weigh in ;)

-9 in 5 weeks is great, hopefully things will settle down a bit. Hope your appointment today is helpful too

Well. Had GP appointment.

Folic acid stuff I knew about. Got 3 months of tablets for that.

Glucose is high (diabetic levels high) so been put on diabetic meds. hardly anything explained but back at nurse in 2 weeks and hopefully she can do more of the talking thing. He did say diet and exercise should bring that under control along with meds (which I'm doing already *shrugs*).

Cholesterol & kidney function is fine as is everything else that was checked.

Got BP tablets that have water tablets in the same medication.

He was checking my legs for fluid and noticed healing / scarring where I had blisters the last time I was holding fluid and decided I need a cream for that as well as some dry skin on my hairline that also has another cream.

Have gone from 0 medication a day to 3 different tablets and 2 creams. (a very sarcastic YAY)

better to be looked after though. I'd recommend reading Michael mosely's blood sugar diet book if you haven't already it could really help you with the blood glucose side.

Back