GINGER BISCUITS

Kay Knight

Please can someone help me with the ginger biscuits, I take it out of the oven and leave it to cool but it goes soft............they really aren't very nice when they are soft so any advice on how to prevent this and have a nice crunchy biscuit please???:confused:

Mine aren't that crispy but they re nice. They go crisper if you cook for bit longer and also if you make smaller ones in a muffin tin - but you need to keep an eye on them if you cook for longer. Are you adding enough sweetener? Maybe you need to have muffins instead?

My biscuits are nice and crispy. I put wee blobs on the tray and smooth with a palate knife until they're really thin then cook as per Manda's directions.

Yup, 15 minutes in theory (which I did) but now I switch the oven off after 10 minutes and leave the biscuits in for maybe another 10 minutes so the higher temp seals them then the lower temp cooks them more thoroughly. It works here. I eat them cold and they're crispy (and thin).

Aw I will have to keep trying. Do you cook them on a silicone baking sheet? And how small do you do them? How many biccies does one mixture make? Sorry all these questions LOL

I get about 5 biscuits, they're quite small and thin though, you could just make one big, thicker one! I use parchment (think it's called - like a good quality greaseproof paper) and they don't stick. I'll get a silicon sheet when I see one though as I have a mould for the cake and it's great.

I made 4 small ones today and they were seeming to go crisp as I left them to cool but alas once they were completely cool they were soft :/

ha ha I have sussed it! I made ginger biscuits today but instead of mixing the dry ingredients with water I mixed it with egg, they were perfect and REALLY crispy they didn't go soft at all.........yummm

I will try savoury when I have cheese to go with them. And will try the egg too to see if they're even crispier.:D

ha ha I have sussed it! I made ginger biscuits today but instead of mixing the dry ingredients with water I mixed it with egg, they were perfect and REALLY crispy they didn't go soft at all.........yummm

WOW clever cloggs. I tried and tried but gave up. Soggy biccies are not my thing. I'm going to try the egg.

Can you please tell me exactly what you did?????????????

x

i mixed 2 tablespoons of oat bran, 1 table spoon of wheat bran, 1 tablespoon of sweetener and half a teaspoon of ginger in a bowl then added one small beaten egg and mixed together, it was quite runny, then i put a silicone mat (I don't have a silicone baking tray) on an ordinary baking tray and using a teaspoon I put 6 dollops onto the mat, I didn't flatten them out they were already quite flat as I said they were fairly runny, I put the tray into a hot oven and set the timer for 15 mins, when cooked I took them out and put them individually straight onto a cooling rack and ate them about 10 minutes later.
I have been trying these for days and couldnt get them right but these were perfect. Good luck, let me know how you get on x

I know have so many nice things to make with my oat and wheat bran I wish we could have more per day LOL. Although I must admit the wheat bran only seems to have the desired effect on my bowels when I eat them hot so I make myself have porridge a couple times a week hee hee

ooh they sound so good Kay and well done for tinkering with the recipe

and THANK YOU for sharing it with us :) I miss biccies.... so any progress towards getting them back is much appreciated...

I will now of course have to try these but not sure how my body will deal with the shock of going a day without the porridge :)... it's the one thing I look forward to each day :) x

That's my problem also... I really do miss my muffins when I don't have them. Even moving them to "dinner" on Fridays so that I've something easy to eat in the car means I miss them at breakfast time...

I have only tried the muffins once and I didn't get on very well but then I didn't have a silicone muffin tray I am going to invest in one soon

Back