Giving blood while on a VLCD?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Miss-Piggy, 3 December 2006 Social URL.

1. Miss-Piggy

Miss-Piggy Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Hi,

Probably a silly question but I got a reminder through the post yesterday about giving blood in time for Christmas, I've never done it before and registered before I started CD.
    Is it ok to give blood whilst on this diet? If so, how do you avoid the cookies/juice the make you have?

Thanks for any advice :)

Miss Piggy

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. kati

kati Gold Member

Diet:
    Cambridge diet
    as far as I know you're not supposed to give blood whilst on the diet

4. dizzy-n-mizzy

dizzy-n-mizzy Not dieting ATM!

Diet:
    Together we lost 8 stone on CD.
    Hi Miss Piggy

I had this dileema too and posted a similar thread. You must not give blood when sole sourcing. I however, decided I would wait until I was on three meals a day but when I was on the 790 plan I had a reminder and thought I'm sure I'll be fine I'll do it as I feel bad not to.

I was fine at the centre and after but the next morning I felt dreadful and looked so pasty and sunken eye sockets like the living dead. Felt very drained the next day and probably was a factor with me getting off course with the plan too. So I confirm it is best to wait until you are eating a 'normal' diet again.

I will bump up the thread that I started as the answers were very good and convincing just a shame I didn't read it again when the letter came in.

Dizzy x

5. Miss-Piggy

Miss-Piggy Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Thanks Dizzy, I'll hang off until the New Year. The bumped info was v handy! ;)

6. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(9.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    The 'Sole Source' programme should not be followed for one week preceding blood donation and for one week after. In fact, a centre will refuse to take blood if they know the donor is on a very low calorie diet, because blood viscosity and volume are affected by the 'Sole Source' programme.

Source: The Cambridge Diet book, page 143.

7. fiojam

fiojam Focused & goin for goal!

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Sorry to change the subject but is this why it affects our TOTM? Mine has been VERY strange this month and I did wonder why :confused:

8. jason0411

jason0411 Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Its easy to avoid the drink and Biscuit you can have black coffee or tea but Definately don't give while on SS.
    I am donating on Friday for the first time since CD.
    Never felt bad when donating before but I am wondering if I will now there is a lot less of me.

9. sim94

sim94 Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Hi All,
    You should also not give blood while on 790.

I had this question come up a few weeks ago and was told by Head Office the diet must be stopped for a week before and a week after giving blood.

Sim

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.