Giving blood while on a VLCD?

Miss-Piggy

Cambridge Diet Counsellor
Hi,

Probably a silly question but I got a reminder through the post yesterday about giving blood in time for Christmas, I've never done it before and registered before I started CD.
Is it ok to give blood whilst on this diet? If so, how do you avoid the cookies/juice the make you have?

Thanks for any advice :)

Miss Piggy

Hi Miss Piggy

I had this dileema too and posted a similar thread. You must not give blood when sole sourcing. I however, decided I would wait until I was on three meals a day but when I was on the 790 plan I had a reminder and thought I'm sure I'll be fine I'll do it as I feel bad not to.

I was fine at the centre and after but the next morning I felt dreadful and looked so pasty and sunken eye sockets like the living dead. Felt very drained the next day and probably was a factor with me getting off course with the plan too. So I confirm it is best to wait until you are eating a 'normal' diet again.

I will bump up the thread that I started as the answers were very good and convincing just a shame I didn't read it again when the letter came in.

Dizzy x

The 'Sole Source' programme should not be followed for one week preceding blood donation and for one week after. In fact, a centre will refuse to take blood if they know the donor is on a very low calorie diet, because blood viscosity and volume are affected by the 'Sole Source' programme.

Source: The Cambridge Diet book, page 143.

The 'Sole Source' programme should not be followed for one week preceding blood donation and for one week after. In fact, a centre will refuse to take blood if they know the donor is on a very low calorie diet, because blood viscosity and volume are affected by the 'Sole Source' programme.

Source: The Cambridge Diet book, page 143.

Sorry to change the subject but is this why it affects our TOTM? Mine has been VERY strange this month and I did wonder why :confused:

Its easy to avoid the drink and Biscuit you can have black coffee or tea but Definately don't give while on SS.
I am donating on Friday for the first time since CD.
Never felt bad when donating before but I am wondering if I will now there is a lot less of me.

Hi All,
You should also not give blood while on 790.

I had this question come up a few weeks ago and was told by Head Office the diet must be stopped for a week before and a week after giving blood.

Sim

Back