Giving up sugar... How to... doesn't matter which diet you are on u can follow this

clouddog

My intention with creating this thread, is to find a rule that everyone can stick to, no matter which diet they follow slimming world, Weight Watchers, Atkins, paleo, vegetarian, vegan, I have tried everything
Giving up sugar took me two years …
I tried to go Atkins and failed so many times the cravings were just so bad and at the end I invented my own diet.
This is not Atkins, the basic rule is no sugar, honey, agave syrup, Maple syrup, high fructose corn syrup, or sweetened with a juice concentrate... Even as a minor ingredient in prepared foods,

Yes, this is fairly impossible to stick with, if you go out for a meal or need to buy a sandwich where there might be sugar in the sandwich somewhere on a long journey - or sugar in the tomato soup ... Then of course you can cheat
I've had fishcakes with dextrose or prawns in A dressing for example… At my in-laws house...
In fact, where it would be very rude to turn it down, just eat it...
Avoid all chocolate, biscuits, flavoured yoghurt, snack bars, cereal, (unless you can find one with no sugar… ) ice cream or frozen yoghurt, fruit juice, drinks other than diet ones, cake, ready meals with sugar anywhere on the ingredients or any of the sugar substitutes ( yes this one is hard, I have tried the sugar free chocolate, and the sugar free biscuits, but I'm not that impressed with them… I am going to forget about buying the stuff this otherwise it's in the house.)
my main cheats were mayonnaise, orange juice and sultanas but not in the first few weeks
I can Count on both hands… How many times I have made a mistake in the past five months though, with the exception of reintroducing fruit juice and sultanas , mayonnaise , and Limited sugar - free alternatives,
in fact the more I write the less I seem to have sticked to it
I think the intention is the most important thing
So, yes you can cheat… as long as you don't in the first few weeks , But if your cheat is 300 mL of fruit juice rather than a massive cake… It is unbelievable progress. If you can follow this 100% for a few weeks, then perhaps you have earned an occasional orange juice, but not a cake ! Not even one made with a load of dried fruit
Fresh fruit is another problem… Try not to have more than two or three pieces a day are none in the first few weeks ...

My intention was not to have sugar in my 40s ... This is nearly impossible accept it… I have probably failed that's my intention to stay longer just for my 40s but for the rest of my life
I have a skinny sister, who I have never seen eat any sugar apart from say one chocolate at Christmas I don't want to risk anything like that
I know it's an addiction , I followed these rules once, for four months, then re-introduced chocolate only and gained two stone in two months

This is a simple addiction I am breaking
lately I have stalled in my weight loss I think mainly because of sugarfree biscuits, so I am rewriting the rules again so I am now going back to it 100%

Last edited:
Now edited
and please let me know if I miss stuff

Last edited:
Of course, if you follow this, and are vegetarian, you can follow this and no meat and no fish, or if you are following paleo, no dairy, but yes you can have meat and fish

Last edited:
Don't forget that sugar alternatives have a "sugar effect" on the pancreas which is not good x

Back