Giving yourself a leeway

Good thread, I've read carefully all of the input as I will be in the same position soon. I was hoping to remain below 12st BUT I know that I can fluctuate anywhere up to 7lbs in a day so I'm realistic enough not to let the scales dictate my mood (and then my possible actions on the back of that). I do however like numbers and lists, that's the way I work and learn, so I think I will still need the scales reading as a 'crutch' until I have got my head around exactly what 'normal' eating is as for the past 25 odd years it's been Feast or Famine, with no sensible middle ground. Similarly, I have never had a 'my' weight as it could be anywhere within a 3 stone range so consequently I didn't manage any creeping gains as I didn't register them as being out of the ordinary for me. Now that I am (almost) at a weight I would like to remain I can be more aware of the insidious (longer term) gains and act quicker. the danger for me here though is to want to lose any small gains in a week rather than seeing this as a marathon, not a sprint (or should that be Snickers ??) ;)

(I originally mistyped 'Marathin' rather than Marathon which I thought was rather apt) :D

Just read your post on the Atkins thread Boardwitless, I think we are in very similar positions. Cambridge to Atkins and the above description. Good luck with the last bit, I'll look out and see how you are doing!

Hi KD, thank you so much for your responses to my 'crisis' last night. All much better now.
Hugs, Bess xx

Hi KD, thank you so much for your responses to my 'crisis' last night. All much better now.
Hugs, Bess xx

Pleased to hear it Bess. Sorry I'm not around as much as I was these days.

Try to catch things that I can possibly help with when I can. Not saying I always do help mind you...but sometimes :)

Oh you do, you do.x

Me too. I weigh every day and record it on excel :) It's fascinating :)

You've out-geeked me again! I'll slope off and find me a spreadhseet! :D:D

LOL G.

And do you have pretty charts with it? gotta have pretty charts :cool:

LOL G.

I could possibly have a toys and pram moment shortly :eek::rolleyes:

:D. I'm close to having one myself today. Grrrrr, my stoopid head and stoopid food. Grrrrr. I can't believe myself sometimes Grrrrrr. Long story. Nothing to panic about. Just annoyed with myself for falling into the stupidest trap that I warn others about :mad:

:D. I'm close to having one myself today. Grrrrr, my stoopid head and stoopid food. Grrrrr. I can't believe myself sometimes Grrrrrr. Long story. Nothing to panic about. Just annoyed with myself for falling into the stupidest trap that I warn others about :mad:

On the plus side, although you fell in at least you knew it was a trap, I think they call that a known known.

LOL G.

*adopts stern face*

KD - share your pretty charts with Porgeous. It's only fair and we both know you've got enough of them to share :)

Hmmm, have decided I want to lose another stone and get down to 9 stone 6.... I dont think I am thinking of this as a leeway, I like being 9 stone 13 because once I hit the 10s I know I have to cut back, but I think I want to aim for this because I am buying a new coat from Next, I tried on a 10 and 12, the 12 was too big, hubby said the 10 looked better, but now I am concerned it will be too tight if I wear a thick jumper under it, and am thinking if I lost another 7lb then my clothes would fit much better.

KD if you read this what is the best way of losing this 7lb, should I go back onto Cambridge 810 or something or is there a better way of doing it? Any help would be appreciated, have had a bit of a gain recently which is fine there is a good reason and I am happy with that as the weight is now coming off again just by eating "normally" (10th wedding anniversary, couple of days away plus TOTM) so seem to have the maintenance under control, just not sure how to go about losing this extra 7lb...

Not wanting to be voice of doom, but this is EXACTLY where I was and what I posted 5 weeks ago after some holiday weight gain. Just convinced myself that an extra 7lbs would make everything right, even though weight was edging down again fine on normal eating, and I was certain I had maintainance under control.

Cue: four weeks of binge/starve chaos as I seesawed about and stayed weight-wise in the exact same place, getting more and more scared. KD & others rescued me with some wise words & straight talking, but as soon as I took the 'lose that extra 7lbs' compulsion out of picture the binges receded. I think my body was protesting the only way it knew.

Don't want to suggest this will happen to you, Greeneyes, I REALLY hope you scoot down to 9 6 with no probs at all, but just a warning to tread carefully, as this is where I came unravelled. And in my case, guess what, it was probably for leeway all along. Sigh.

xxx

I am happy with that as the weight is now coming off again just by eating "normally" (10th wedding anniversary, couple of days away plus TOTM) so seem to have the maintenance under control, just not sure how to go about losing this extra 7lb...

There's no easy answer to this. I know many have the problems Katy had.

Having maintenance under 'control' is brill, and something that needs lots of practice and should really be cherished. It's an awesome place to be. Dieting strictly again can jeopardise this. For me, it wasn't worth it, even though I'd be happy to be 7lbs lighter.

It will depend on what is most important to you.

There is nothing wrong with losing a bit more via 810, then gradually going up again, as long as it doesn't mess with your head and you know you'll stick with it and get back to where you are now; maintenance under control, just 7lbs lighter.

Only you can be the best judge of that.

Personally, I'm not a fan of doing anything much below maintenance calories at this stage of the game, but that is based on my personal experience. Same goes if I see problems happening for others.

So, if it's really important to you to get down quickly, and you know you can do it, then fine, but you need to know why. And know exactly what it is about being in a smaller size that appeals to you.

You could try it. But, if you struggle, I personally think it's better to just get back to your baseline. Sensible maintenance. And sooner rather than later.

Yup, KD says it much better than me... have been worrying that my post seems negative Greeneyes, and that's not what I mean, not at all, just your post rang BIG alarm bells for me. Trouble is, not sure if I'd have listened or believed any of this 5 weeks ago. But... good luck whatever you opt to do, hon.

xxx

Thanks Katy, actually before I really thought about losing the extra weight, your problem did come to my mind which is why I wanted to make sure I had a reason why I wanted to lose the extra 7lb. I did think about doing it once I reached goal, my head was not in the right place then, but I think it is now. I have informed hubby he will have to eat less healthy for the next week or so (starting next Monday), things like meat pies and sausage and mash which is something I would never dream of eating, so wont be tempted to eat in the evening other than my meal of quorn, and he is quite happy with that, I am also seeing my CDC next week so will get some more packets from her to see me through, I intend to do this for 2 weeks and see where I am at, so no long term plan which I will struggle to stick to, a hopefully quicker weightloss which I can keep to, then move back up the plans a week at a time. I will then be at a weight I was when a teenager and my muffin top will diminish slightly (although it is only skin really).... so that is the plan, but I will start next Monday as I want to just lose the days away and day out weight normally first, dont want to think I have to go back on Cambridge just to lose a little that I put on, so all in my head, but it will work for me. If I feel the slightest problem headwise whilst on 810, I will just stop and reassess.... not worth blowing maintenance for...
Thank you KD for your advice and thank you Katy too.....

Forewarned is forearmed, and you know what to watch out for. Big hugs Greeneyes, it sounds like a plan!

xxx

make sure I had a reason why I wanted to lose the extra 7lb.

Just a tip: be sure that 'why' is really strong. Not just I want to get into size blah, but why you want to get into size blah. How it feels etc. Not just to reduce the muffin top, but why you want to reduce it. Not just because it will look better, but why you feel it will look better.

Okay, I know this sounds deep, but I've found that people who have had weight issues, often have beliefs that can be a little....ummm....let's say 'set'.

They may have started out with the 'whys' perfectly in place, but after a while, it just becomes a phrase, a desire, with little meaning to it.

Now, I'm not saying this is happening to you, just be sure that you know all the 'whys'. They are the ones we start off with often long, long ago before we get lost and forget exactly what purpose we are doing it for.

Anyway best of luck to you. Hope it all goes to plan :)

just jumping on the end of this so hope you dont mind.

How does this work when you change your goal BEFORE hitting maintenance?
I've changed mine from 10 7, to 10 5 down to 10st now. It's never read into or looked at "why" i have changed it so much, i've just kind of gone with the flow with not really thought too deeply about it. Its never been a decision based on "leeway" within the BMI zone so i can at least rule that out, i guess its more been about round numbers! lol

any comments on this would be great! :)

x

Back