Gizmo's SW and Fitness diary

_Gizmo_

Silver Member
Hi!

This is the second time I've attempted to lose weight through slimming world. This first time failed miserably, don't think I really lost anything. I'm hypothyroid so I don't think that helped. The last time was before I was diagnosed and put on tablets. I've just survived my first week and have lost 6lbs!! Never thought that would happen, I was expecting 2lb losses max. It's really given me motivation to carry on. Hopefully this week will be as good as last week.

I've also got a bigger motivation to lose the weight this time as I am going to South Africa in October to volunteer with Great White Sharks. It's a dream I've had for as long as I can remember and I don't want to be this size when I go!

I'm looking forward to the next week. I enjoy preparing my own meals, rather than microwaving a ready meal or getting a takeaway and this will encourage me to do that more. I've cut out the regular cola, having it as a treat instead. I've swapped it with diet coke and I think it's made a big difference. I can't cut out cola completely. The caffeine withdrawal symptoms are too bad! >_< At least i'm not having all those empty calories I guess.

I'm hoping I can get around 4lbs lost this week to get me under 17 stone. Gonna be tough but I can do it! :)

Last edited:
Second week nearly done :D. Had a sneak peak at weight this morning and it looks good. Official weigh in is Mondays so will post my weight tomorrow. I'm enjoying cooking now and have a load of plastic tubs ready so I can cook big batches of food and stick them in the freezer. I'm not finding it difficult and I don't actually miss all the junk I used to eat. I tend to use my syns on meals during the week, snacking on fruit and at the weekend I cook free meals, using my syns on treats, usually chocolate and fizzy drinks.

I went to the cinema last night to see Jack the giant slayer, which was really good. I took my own snacks of a can of tango and a freddo bar. Usually I'd take a bottle of cola and a big bag of sweets.

Hoping to add the gym into my routine this week. Haven't been able to go for a while due to roadworks and not being motivated enough. I'm feeling so much better lately compared to how I have been in a while. My skin isn't as dry and sore now, my hair feels better, I'm not feeling depressed and just feel so much better generally. The only thing which has changed is starting slimming world. So now I feel motivated to continue as I don't want to go back to the way I felt before.

Can't wait to see what my official weight is tomorrow! :D

So I've lost 1lb. Not as good as I was hoping for since my sneak peak yesterday morning showed 3lbs lost?? :confused: But i've now lost 7lbs in total and I've earned my 1/2 stone award.

Didn't make it to the gym this morning, but I did wake up at the right time and sat and read instead. Just not feeling too great today.

Just gotta make it through today and hopefully will feel much better tomorrow! :)

I'm having a couple of bad days. Had a 'day off' from the diet yesterday as I had a day out and didn't get have chance to cook anything. I rarely eat out, as I don't really like it too much so I don't feel this will a big problem in the future. Had Mexican for lunch and then cheesy chips later on. Was a nice break and I had a good day today. Until tonight. Just polished off an Easter egg. Only took a couple of minutes and it was gone. I feel it was pointless. It hasn't really done me any good, just empty calories really. Just a little piece would have been enough, just for the taste. In past Easters I would have thought nothing about eating several easter eggs in one day. Don't think I could now, I kinda feel sick. I feel this has been a good lesson though. There is no point in binging on chocolate and sweet food.
I'm not going to be suprised to see a sts or gain this monday. I will have a good day tomorrow. I have already meal planned for the following week, and it includes chocolate but in smaller portions. A creme egg is the biggest I will have. This is enough for me. I don't need much more than that.

Re: Time to lose the weight for good!

Hi Gizmo! Congrats on your 7lbs so far!! Awesome saucem! I only lost 2lbs in my first weeks and it picked up as I got into it.

You sounded so motivated in your earlier posts so I hope you dont feel demotivated after 1lbs loss this week- our bodies do strange things! I gained 3lbs this week after a 100% week because my period was due, but I know it is just water weight. Hopefully you'll have a nice surprise on monday! I so often do when I expect bad after a naughty weekend :O
Carefull with those easter eggs- a 100g full size cadbury one is 24 syns! Get into the habit of checking syns on the net for each treat you eat before you eat it- it'll probablt shock you out of letting yourself eat the whole egg! Bsst thing to do is break some of the egg off, wrap the rest up and put it away BEFORE you've tasted it- then enjoy yhat piece in another room so you cant just reach for more! It is so easy to pollish off if it's right there...!
Would love to see your food for the week- a lot of people find it helps them keep on track to write it all on here and it means we can point out things that might be slowing your losses down if you find another slow week. E.g. I realised one week I'd eaten loooads of mini packs of choc buttons thinking they were 8 syns a pack- but they were actually the normal sized packs and 16 syns each!!! I'd had like 6 packs!

Anyway! Am subscribed so will be back to read your updates :) good luck with your Monday WI and with fending off those easter eggs tomorrow!!
x Sophie

Hi Sophie.

Thanks :) Unfortunately I knew the syns before I ate it. I don't cope well with stress. Getting better though.

You're going to Download then? I've got a day ticket for Sunday so I can see Rammstein again (will be my 4th time seeing them). I'd love to be able to wear a nice outfit for it, hopefully its nice weather this year! I went last year and had to come home on the Friday before the bands started as my tent flooded! Have a hotel this year. Used up all my holidays on my South Africa trip so couldn't do the whole weekend.

I'll copy and paste my meal plans for the next week:

sun: b = wheetabix and cup of tea
l = gammon, chips and egg
d = salmon, veg and potatoes
syns = cola (7), tango (3), freddo (5)

m: b = wheetabix and tea
l = chips, eggs and spag hoops
d = lasagne (1.5)
syns = Crème egg (9), tango (3)

t: b = wheetabix and tea
l = rice salad
d = spag bol (9)
s = curly wurly (6)

w: b = wheetabix and tea
l = pasta salad with quark
d = lasagne (1.5)
s = crème egg (9),

t: b = wheetabix and tea
d = spag bol (9)
s = curly wurly (6)

f: b = wheetabix and tea
d = lasagne (1.5)
s = crème egg (9)

I class the spag bol as high syns as I make it the way i've always made it, with frozen mince I need to use up and ketchup and brown sauce. It may be less than that but it doesn't matter too much if it is. I also snack on bananas and drink cans of diet coke. I can't survive without the caffeine just yet. The lasagne and spag bol is a big batch that will be frozen. The spag bol is already made and sat in the freezer ready (tastes much better after its been frozen) and I'll be attempting to make the lasagne on monday using the recipe in the extra easy cookbook. I've also frozen some slimming world chips today ready for the meals tomorrow and monday.
I actually like quark (first tried it on weds) so will be having it again this week. It tastes like sour cream a bit and I love sour cream.

Think i'm going to try to get some sleep soon, and hopefully have a better day tomorrow :) Not at work until Tuesday and have had today and yesterday off so trying to relax a bit.

Hope you have a relaxing Easter Sunday :)

Food diary looks great but theres a looot of pasta in there, sometimes twice a day. Careful with that as even though it is a free food it is vital to balance your diet and pasta isnt a great thing to have too much of- I'm a pasta addict myself! But it slows losses down to eat it so often. Had it twice today myself but try to alternate so that every other day I dont have it. Make sure you factor in all your HEXs for your mealbplan too- wholemeal rolls are much yummier than they sound or certain cereal bars (1 special K chewy delight bar = hexB and is chocolatey and so nice! Chocolate oatly milk is hexA and cheese for pasta is hexA). Hex's are fibre and calcium which speed up weight loss!
Another thing is that optiond highlights hot chocs are 2 syns a serving and really great for chocolate cravings- sprinkle in mini marshmallows (1 large marshmallow is 1 syn) for an extra treat!
I understand your caffiene cravings but could never use my syns on full sugar fizzy drinks. Have found that Lilt Zero is the nicest of diet fizzy drinks- tastes exactly the same :O diet pepsi is nicer than diet coke (even though reg coke is nicer than reg pepsi! I find diet coke gross!) and fanta zero is nice too- especially icy lemon flavour, and these are free which means more syns for chocolate ;)

Hope I dont sound too bossy- just ideas of course! Took me ages to work this stuff out so hopefully will be helpfull to you!
I agree that quark tastes like sour cream! I add some chives to make a dip of it- you can make SW doritos by grilling cooked lasagne strips (season them first to make them nice and tasty) which are great with a quark dip!
X

P.s. I make a totally free bolognase that is to die for. When you've used up your meat get extra lean meat from sainsburys, cant seem to find it anywhere else but it is in the 3 for £10 offer. My non SW following bf LOVES the free bolognase I make- extra lean tastes no diff and if you use a couple of stock cubes, soy sauce, worchester sauce, tomato puree/passata and some sweetner it tastes really special! Especially if it's cooked on a low heat for a few hours and refrigerated for tomorrow, mmmm! X

There is a lot of pasta. But im still new to sw really and havent had chance to really look at all the meal options yet. Pasta salad is easy to take to work with me. And the spag bol and lasagne will be easy for when i finish work at 7pm.
Im planning on having a real good look into everything slimming world over the next 2 days as im off work and not on call so have time to do it =)

Salads with chicken (can buy pre cooked plain chunks) are nice and free! You're doing great though, fab start. I've never been able to plan a whole week!

Right, I'll post a proper reply now. Was on my phone the last time.

I'm trying to wean myself off the non-diet fizzy drinks. I used to drink loads of the stuff. I hated the taste of the diet stuff and they always made me feel even more hungry. I've got a bit used to them now tho, so I'm just treating myself to the reg stuff until all the cans I have are gone, them i'm not buying any more. Unless i'm in the pub and can fit it into my syns. I don't drink alcohol anymore. I hate the way it makes me feel, and I don't want hangovers or all the calories! I prefer a trip to the cinema rather than a night out.

My hex's I use on my breakfast. But i'm going to look through my slimming world mags and the extra easy cookbooks i've just bought to get ideas for other breakfasts and lunches. I've got the 100 extra easy days book so that's bound to have loads of ideas in.

Also going to look into goals and rewards as well to give me more motivation to do this. New books will work well as rewards and i'll find other things I want too.

Thanks for the tip about the doritos. Never thought of that. What would you season them with?

Had a really bad craving for chocolate earlier (totm explains it! So not expecting a loss tomorrow). Managed to get past it though. And swapped my easter egg with 2 snack sized mars bars for 4 creme eggs. These will be much easier to fit into my days than the easter egg or mars bars. Plus I like them more.

So far so good today :)

Hello

I've just read through your diary. Well done on your weight loss so far :) Easters hard, theres too much chocolate about! There's an easter egg in my kitchen that is 80 syns just for the egg :eek:. If you like creme eggs, I've been getting creme egg cones (pretty much creme egg cornettos) that are 8.5 syns and are lovely :) I prefer them to actual creme eggs!

Good luck for your weigh in tomorrow

I lost 1lb :D Really thought I would gain this time. Had a 100% day yesterday and planning another 100% day today.

Just been shopping for all the ingredients for the lasagne I'll be making tonight. Hopefully it turns out nice. I tried my slimming world frozen chips yesterday and they tasted even nicer after being frozen. I enjoy cooking my own meals. I don't even want takeaways or ready meals anymore. By cooking big batches I'm making my own healthier ready meals. It's so much easier as I finish work at 7pm and I have to take a tablet on an empty stomach before I go to bed so don't really want to be eating past 8pm. This stops me snacking at night as well.

Looking forward to a better week now. Going to try to go to the gym a few times this week. Can't tomorrow as I'm starting work early. I hate going at night when it's busy and you can't get on the equipment you want to use. I want to get into walking again this summer. I went on a jungle trek in Borneo in 2011 and I did quite a bit of walking in the summer before I went. That year I lost 3 stone. Now i've put all that back plus an extra stone. I think I just used healthy eating to lose that weight, not really sure what I did :confused: It went though. I got really depressed last year and just felt ill really. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at end of October and I think that contributed to the weight gain. I wish I had gone to the doctors sooner about it. Just thought it was depression though and I was embarrassed. It went when I started taking the thyroxine though so obviously wasn't just that. I'm a comfort eater so feeling that bad made me eat loads of junk.

This year will be a better year than last year though. I'm on the right tablets, the weight is going, I'm going to dive with great white sharks in October and I'll be seeing Rammstein again in June. I have Enter Shikari to look forward to this month and there's also a few films coming out this year that I want to see. There's plenty of reasons to keep me from feeling down this year :)

Hey- sounds like a great plan to get off diet drinks. I agree that some of them taste crap :( I really don't like diet coke, but pepsi max is a bit sweeter. Honestly though- try the lilt zero- my boyfriend likes it too and he doesn't like ANYTHING that's diet/sugar free etc, it just doesn't taste like a diet drink :D
I've started trying to get 2-3 cups of green tea in a day- I add splenda but I still thought it tasted like sh*t the first 5 cups but then it's started to really grow on me! It is supposed to be great for weight loss- it helps lessen body fat and boost metabolism, as well as being preventative for certain types of cancer, common colds/flu, issues with immune system etc! It's not very high caffeine so wouldn't replace your boost from cokes but give it a go if you fancy, it sounds like a miracle drink! But, eh, anyway- I brought that up just to say that from my experience taste buds can actually adjust to things they don't like pretty fast and begin to like them- so hopefully you'll not miss full sugar drinks soon enough :)

I don't drink much anymore because of SW but don't miss it that much. Well done for resisting your choc cravings! I caved a bit yest- it was sitting in front of me at my bf's family's house all afternoon! Oh well ;) wasn't toooo bad.

Lasagne doritos- I have these 'perfect shake' things that are in the herbs/seasoning aisles, they have pink lids and I have a chicken fajita one, a 'perfect stake' one, etc- I tend to use these on the doritos as they are more like crisp flavourings. Also- Aromat! I absolutely LOVE it, try and find some in the seasons aisle if you don't know it, it's a yellow shaker with a red lid and just a season all sort of thing but I put it on everything- pasta, meat, rice, anything! It's sooo good :D but great for lasagne chips too. It takes some experimenting to get the lasagne doritos right though, they need way more seasoning than you'd usually put on food and they're nicest when they bubble and go golden brown and slightly dark brown at the corners- nicest when very fresh (within like 20 minutes of cooking) but they take a bit of cooling to solidify properly. They're obvs not as great as the real thing but do kick the craving for wanting to dip something into something, if you know what I mean?

Congrats on your -1 today! Totm for me too and I had a +3 from it on thurs- yikes! I know it'll be off in a few days though, already 1 pound down this morning.
Fab that you're enjoying cooking and not wanting ready meals! I banned myself from take aways but recently had a couple of Chinese take aways- just order sweet and sour (hong kong style not the balls) and boil my own rice and for 8.5 syns for the whole dish it is sooooo awesome. It's SO cool that SW allows us to have what we love, isn't it? :D

Cool that you're seeing Rammstein too :D I can't wait! Haven't bought tickets yet though. Did you see Rammstein on their tour last year? I took my bf as he was just getting into them and it was SO good. Though they always put on a great show, don't they? I saw them at Sonisphere too. It will be my first time at Download though!
How are Enter Shikari these days? My friends used to perform at them in Welwyn Garden city before they were famous so we'd hang out with them after shows- I think in like 2006. My friends are in their first 'Sorry you're not a winner' vid, is that still a crowd rocker at the gigs? It was insane when suddenly they were so huge! They're great live though, huh? :D
I'm looking forward to seeing Stone Sour and Limp Bizkit for the first time too. Recon I'll just get a day ticket too though as I don't think the Sat line up is so great- just the Fri and Sun but mainly Sunday! Though I just found out NIN are at Reading! WHAT!? I thought they broke up!? Do you like them too?

Sorry about being such a bossy douche in my earlier messages, I meant well! But realised after that it probably didn't sound as motivational as it was supposed to :rolleyes:
I think you're doing great- and I'm envious of anyone who finds it so easy to fit in with a hectic work schedule! I freelance so am at home for 90% of my life, makes SW a doddle but I freak out when I have to make a packed lunch anywhere :p

Glad your tablets have your hyperthyroidism under control. I read recently that once our BMI has pushed the 'obese' scale we are unfortunately destined to have a metabolism that will constantly try to keep it that way- so when we get to goal if we eat like a 'normal' person our metabolism will be so slow it'll put it all back on. Basically if we stop the diet, it'll go on even if we eat like regular thin people, because our body is in survival mode to put back on what we lost. :( there is a sticky thread on here about it in the maintaining section, about why SW is 'for life' not just a diet. It really sucks but at the same time it makes it clear why SO many people gain back loads of weight after losing it all on WW or whatever. As I've gotten into things more though I think it'll be really easy to stick to this to maintain. With Red and Green days I can have more bread and cheese without synning it, so the only thing I really have to say goodbye to is dominoes :p 12 syns for a large slice, GTFO. But I enjoy all the food I eat and the chewy delight bars usually fill my choc cravings, so it's not so daunting anymore.
Wow, long post, I'll stop hogging your diary now :D Hope at least some of this info is useful though, I'm here to help and support your journey :) just slap me if I keep being bossy. Though honestly this is all stuff I wish someone had told me in my first week when I was avoiding Hex's and syns and just confused as hell :p
x

I'm going to try Grenade tablets. Been told they're very good for energy for workouts and helps to burn fat. Which I need since I like to go to the gym first thing in the morning. They have caffeine in them as well as green tea. I'm only going to try 1 tablet before a work out to start with. If that's enough then I'll keep to that. Hopefully that will give me enough caffeine to be able to cut out the fizzy drinks. I don't want all of the other stuff that goes into those drinks, plus it's expensive to keep buying them. I'll only have them at the pub after that.

Just made a lasagne. Was a bit odd tasting. I miss having it with loads of cheese. Wasn't too bad though. I'm a very fussy eater but I'll keep trying new things. Have a few lasagne sheets left over so I may try the doritos next week. Is the fajitas seasoning syn free? I'm sure I saw the packet ones you find with all the mexican foods had syns in them. If it is free, then yay! My favourite food is fajitas and I was looking for a way to make them free. Was going to use lettuce leaves as wraps and use quark instead of sour cream. I'll see if there is a free way of making salsa.

Yeah, I love the fact that nothings off limits on SW. I've tried weight watchers before and hated it. I've tried calorie counting and hated it. I think coz I couldn't have certain things. I don't think I could even do any of the other diets, esp the ones where you mainly have shakes. My friend did Lighter Life, and it worked for her but I couldn't survive on just shakes.

Download will be the 4th time I'll have seen them. I saw them in Birmingham last year. It was my mums birthday so I took her to see them. She loves them and loved seeing them. Saw them at Sonisphere and managed to get 2nd row from the front, had a short girl in front of me so had a perfect view. First time I saw them was Manchester in 2010. Had good views for all of them actually. Was in seats for the 2 arena shows but I want to see the show not have my view blocked by other people. I've seen Enter Shikari before when they supported 30 Seconds to Mars. They were good. They're playing in Scarborough so that's why I'm going to see them. We NEVER get decent bands, usually stuff like JLS, Olly Murs and McFly. So I kinda want to support that so that we may get more good bands playing here in the future. I like NIN but haven't really listened to them in years. I'm looking forward to seeing 30 seconds to mars again, and stone sour, five finger death punch, coal chamber. May go see Amon Amarth if they don't clash with anything. Saturday doesn't look too great. I got bored with Iron Maiden at Sonisphere. Wouldn't mind the friday but I'd don't have any more holidays to use up now.

I wish my work wasn't as hectic. I usually work 11am until 7pm. I'll try to fit in gym and getting lunch ready in the morning. I work as a vet nurse so do on call 2 nights a week and every 1 in 3 weekends. I work every other sat 9am until 1pm , I get half a day off the week off the week after but it doesn't leave me much time if I do on call on the same weekend. There are only 2 nurses so if our other nurse is off then I have to do 8.30 until 6.30 and do on call as well. On the days I'm on call then I like to cook something quick so i'm not getting into the situation of being called out in the middle of cooking. It's not easy but i'll cope. Being thinner and healthier will make it worth it. I'll be better at lifting animals and have more energy to get me through the day.

Right, I'm cooking my rice ready for my rice salad tomorrow to save time in the morning. I'm starting at 8.30am, but finishing around 4ish so not too bad, plus i'm not on call tomorrow night either so I actually have a bit of an evening free after work for once. Hopefully tomorrow won't be too busy like it usually is after a Bank Holiday!

Is the fajitas seasoning syn free? I'm sure I saw the packet ones you find with all the mexican foods had syns in them. If it is free, then yay! My favourite food is fajitas and I was looking for a way to make them free. Was going to use lettuce leaves as wraps and use quark instead of sour cream. I'll see if there is a free way of making salsa.

The one I use isn't the same as the packet fajita stuff- not sure about that as it probably contains sugar and fatty bits, but the one I use is just a combination of herbs and spices so I count it as free!
There def are free ways of making salsa- I improvised one the other week which was interesting but then a bit gross :p but I'm sure there are decent recipes out there! With quark as sour cream sounds like a good idea; I made a really creamy steak sauce using quark today and it was great!

SW is my first diet- haven't tried WW or anything but can totally imagine hating all of that! ANYTHING off limits immediately becomes more attractive, I think that's why they advise we use all our syns at the start- to stop us going off the wagon because we are craving the syns we're limiting.

So cool that your mum likes Rammstein :D my mum is a big Muse fan so we would do 'family' outings to see muse- saw Linkin Park a while back with her too.

2nd row- nice! I've always been one for the pit myself, I like to run around in the circle pits like a prat, can't stand all the squishing at the front and am tall enough to see wherever luckily :p Did you get singed eyebrows from the pyrotechnics? haha

Being on call sounds horrible. I often have people renting my equipment and sometimes end up waiting two hours for them because they're late and I feel like I can't shower or cook or anything in case they ring- so can imagine the limitations! Though obviously to a lesser degree for me :p
CheekyChinchilla on here works at a vet surgery too as an assistant I think.
I can't imagine fitting gym in such a crazy schedule as yours. You sound SO determined! I do all my exercise at home on the wii :p but even that has been very 'laxed recently.

x

I saw muse in November. Really enjoyed it. Need to see linkin park and i know my mum would like to as well. Saw 30 seconds to mars with her.

Being on call is horrible. Can't switch off and if i do get called out then it affects the next day. Not gonna go to the gym if im at work until past midnight. I find it difficult to fit the gym in. Only been once in last few months. I really want to change that though. Just been feeling tired all the time.

I can understand how tired you must be! If I were you I'd focus on SW for a bit, you don't need the gym to see results but can start to fit it in when time comes. It's hard to balance too much at once and it sounds like you have your hands full with work and you need time to cook now rather than microwave meals like before- as SW becomes less stress and more second nature it'll probably be easier to start the gym too. Just don't burn yourself out or you might end up turning to chocolate for comfort!

I was REALLY lucky and managed to get tickets to see Linkin Park play at the London Astoria before it closed down, which for a band as big as them is TINY (took 2500 people or so) it was amazing seeing them in such an intimate setting and it was just before they brought out the 'What I've Done' single so it was all the awesome old tracks. Haven't been to a gig since Rammstein last year so am looking forward to Download! x

I'm still going to try to go to the gym in the mornings. I feel much happier and awake when I've been and the only time I really get time to do a lot of cooking is at the weekend anyway. If I don't go to the gym I stay in bed for a few extra hours, which isn't good. At least then I have a reason I have to get up. I can start preparing my lunch when I'm getting ready to go. The Grenade tablets arrived today so will try them tomorrow. It has more caffeine in than cans of coke have in so hopefully it will be enough for me to cut them out. I will feel so much better drinking water and juice. I can't drink just water all the time, gets a bit boring! Had 4 cans of diet coke today. Woke up at 6am though, which was basically 5am the other day. Looking forward to going to have a workout tomorrow. Think i'm feeling happier lately coz it's lighter mornings and lighter nights. Hate waking up and leaving work when it's dark. Think I may have S.A.D.

I'm going to look into fitness stuff tonight to motivate me for tomorrow :)

Back