glycogen and other questions...?

daisydoll

Gold Member
hi there
so after pigging out yesterday on fairy cakes (...why??) have i now put back all my glycogen?

i'm getting a bit confused with it - i thought i had my head round it but now i'm not sure

i know it takes 3500 extra cals to put on 1lb - so by that i must have put on at least half a pound after yesterday but is taht in addition to the glycogen - and can i get rid of the fat or does the glyco need to come off... and in that case every time you 'diet' is it just the glco you lose????

oh dear i have confused myself!!

also....

do i just go back onto week 5 of RTM as if nothing has happened.....

hmmmm

daisy x

wow that sounds complicated daisy, i'm quite there yet with my knowledge but it's good to know you need 3500 kcals to gain a pound after a naughty lapse yesterday!
Maybe there's hope i haven't put on much.. ;-)

hmm ???always told that it only takes 1500 kcal extra to gain a lb of fat but 3500 to burn it back off ,very confusing . daisy i think that the glycogen stores are the 1st thing to be stored and the 1st thing to come back off again , but i could well be wrong , i usuall am:0) im sure someone who actaully knows will be along shortly , but whichever way , you mustnt loose sight of the reality of how amazing youve done , youve been an inspiration to so many of us .so hold on to that , and the feeling of sitting on hubbys shoulders if you ever need the drive to go on xxx

oh well if it is 1500 then ive def put one on!

i'm actually not to bothered by gaining a couple of pounds, just like to know in my head where its from/what is happening to my body!

i know that im not going to put 4.5 stone back on overnight and i'm not going to obsess over one day - just want to get my thinking straight!

daisy x

oh well if it is 1500 then ive def put one on!

i'm actually not to bothered by gaining a couple of pounds, just like to know in my head where its from/what is happening to my body!

i know that im not going to put 4.5 stone back on overnight and i'm not going to obsess over one day - just want to get my thinking straight!

daisy x
hey daisy
im so sorry if i caused offence , i really wasnt insinuating that you were het up or anything about it ,you just seemed upset on youre post from yesterday and i wanted to offer some support .
anyway hope i havent upset you x

i know it takes 3500 extra cals to put on 1lb -

Yes, that's correct. 3,500 calories over maintenance cals, to put on a pound of fat (a very rough figure though!), and 3,500 calories in deficit to lose a pound of fat.
and can i get rid of the fat or does the glyco need to come off... and in that case every time you 'diet' is it just the glco you lose????

You lose the glycogen when you reduce the carbs, and the glycogen holds about 4X its own weight in water. Most people who go on a diet, even if they aren't low carbing, will tend to reduce some carbs to a certain extent.

You can 'get rid of fat' without losing glycogen, but these VLCDs tend to work ketogenically ie lose glycogen to go into ketosis, to make such low calorie intake possible (blunted hunger etc).

Hope that explains it.

sukiesue don't be silly, of course you haven't upset me!!!!!
far from it, i appreciate your reply!

i'm just rambling on a bit tonight, ignore me - lol!

daisy x

KD
thanks.. just to clarify...

even if glyco stores are full you can still lose fat?

on SW or WW then is it just the fat you lose - SW in partic when i have done it i have always eaten lots of pasta rice etc so presumably my glyco was 'full' all the time and any weight i lost was mainly just fat?

and now i have presumably started filling/have filled my glco back up i can still lose fat on RTM?

daisy x

lol thats ok then,id hate to think id offended anyone with my rambling :0) and thank god for kd 's answer ,its good to know as our llc has always told us about the 1500 kcal theory, glad she's got it wrong :0)makes the future less scary!!!

Yup, 3,500 KCal for a lb of fat.

Daisy - it's quite possible that by week 5 you've already restored most/all of your glycogen, sometimes it's not a dramatic effect (certainly wasn't with me), but if not any weight gain from one day of fairy cakes is likely to be glycogen & attached water reserves.

On SW or WW you are not in Ketosis (as KD said) so really only burning 'fat' as glycogen will largely remain, however with all diets there is an element of glycogen loss and water that accounts for the first week's larger than average losses.

Don't worry Daisy, you will NOT have done any damage so long as you get straight back onto week 5 RTM. Carry on today as if nothing has happened.

Back