Hungry, healthy and happy - my journey

HelenFS

Hi all,

I thought that I would write a diary of my Exante journey to help me with motivation and accountability.

I'm Helen, 40, and I'm no stranger to dieting. Two years ago, I joined Slimming World and lost 5 stone but I've steadily put a lot of it back on. I've clung onto the last 2 stone difference and have started Exante.

So far, I'm on Day 4 and I'm feeling great! I think ketosis must have kicked in as I felt rubbish yesterday/last night and yet I have so much energy and I'm not as hungry today. I've made sure that I drink a ton of water which is a huge improvement for me as I'm normally pretty terrible with my fluid intake (except for wine and gin, ahem! :p). I have stuck to it 100% except for one day when I had an extra Exante 'meal' as I felt so ravenous. My viewpoint is that if I'm going to 'cheat' then I'll do it will Exante products and have an extra product as 800 calories is still going to give a massive deficit.

I'm slightly worried about my breath as I work with teenagers/young adults on a 1:1 basis and I'm very aware of my close proximity to them so I'm chewing sugar free gum and drinking the water.

I've got a real weekend for events as it's my husband's and my best friend's birthday tomorrow so there is a party on Saturday night. Plus, Father's Day. I've made the decision that I'm sticking to plan and won't be drinking at her party or eating any of the beige buffet. I had thought that I might come out of ketosis in order for me to drink but I've decided against it and, if it's going to be dangerous, I know I won't be tempted!

Starting weight: 14st 5lbs
Weigh in day: Monday 18th

Last edited:
Hiiiii - *balloons and glitter canon welcome*

Congratulations on making such a great start and sticking to the plan even when it was rough. I was the same, and I found day 3 really tough. I was so tired and headachy and grumpy I think I basically slept through it. But then it go so much better. I mean, I still have the occasional hungry day but I genuinely can't tell how much of that hunger is psychological, since mostly the products fill me up.

Also I think it's really a sound idea to use an extra product if you get desperate and super starving. I have come to the same conclusion, although I haven't needed to do it yet. 800 calories, as you say, is still a massive deficit and you would still be in ketosis if you were having four products a day rather than 3 - whereas actual food can knock you out of ketosis really easily, even if you only have a tiny amount of it. And having got through day 3 and into ketosis, why would you want to compromise that?

Good luck sticking to plan through the party and father's day - it'll definitely be hard (and I hope the people around you don't start pressuring you to eat as that's the worst) but you can totally do it. And, honestly, you'll feel much better when you look back on it and are able to say "I was disciplined and stuck to plan".

I'm rooting for you!

Welcome! I'm not on Exante but am doing TFR with shakes. I have 4 a day as I have a lot to lose :(

Anyway, good luck, your head sounds like it is in the right place :)

Thank you for the welcomes and good lucks Castingnasturtiums, Darcy and Sarette!

It's Day 5 today and I think that I'm more into ketosis as I have that weird sweet taste in my mouth constantly. It's still going well and I've been 100% on plan. I'm feeling quite strong and my mind is on weigh in day.

I've been having a variety of Exante meals and I've decided that I like the shakes and the bars best. In my first order, I went for a mix of things thinking that it would be good to have some savoury stuff too. The savoury stuff I've had hasn't been too bad - I've had red bean chilli which I liked the best out of the savoury stuff, the dahl and the sweet and sour noodles - they were ok. However, I've had some pretty unpleasant bowls of slop which are Exante's versions of puddings - apple crumble and berry yoghurt were both horrible. I'm getting a delivery of more shakes and bars tomorrow, though, so I'm looking forward to that. My current favourite thing is a tip from Casting - to mix coffee in with a shake. I ended up doing it with a coconut smoothie and I love it!

It's my husband's birthday today and I've resisted all temptation. One of his presents from a relative was a voucher for a meal at The Ivy, which is lovely but I couldn't help but think that it'll be a while before we enjoy that one! :eat: Also, I've been left with a bottle of wine in the fridge as I thought that my MIL popping round tonight but there was a change of plan! It's almost painful seeing it! RESIST!

Helen

It's the day before my first weigh in and I've survived my first weekend! I've managed to stay 100% on plan despite the birthdays/party and Father's Day today so I'm feeling quite proud of myself! :woohoo: I'm just intrigued to know how much weight I've lost now.

My new pack of shakes and bars arrived yesterday and I'm totally addicted to the almond vanilla shake mixed with a shot of coffee. It really peps me up and I think that it tastes lovely.

I'll be back tomorrow to update!

Helen x

Last edited:
Weigh in day arrived and I’m very pleased with it. I’ve lost 11lbs, which is a great start and a massive motivator.

Starting weight: 14st 5lbs
New weight: 13st 8lbs (-11lbs)

I was going to post this morning but Mondays are pretty crazy in my household! I have a couple of challenges to the plan this week as tomorrow I’m going to a concert in the afternoon/evening and on Sunday I’ve been invited to a BBQ. Tomorrow will be fine but I’ll see how the week progresses as to how I approach the BBQ!

Helen x

P.S. I’ve just noticed that I’ve snook out of the ‘obese’ category, too! :)

The concert went well and I stayed on plan so next contender is the BBQ this weekend!

I’ve decided that I really like the Indian dahl pot now. I left it for quite a while so it wasn’t crunchy/powdery and that helped massively. I've decided to do the same thing with the red bean chilli and see if I like it more. The next thing on the order is the fajitas as I keep hearing good things about them and they look like proper food!

Most days, I'm sticking to a shake in the morning (usually my favourite almond vanilla with a shot of coffee), a bar for lunch (strawberry yoghurt bar) and then I vary my dinner but it is most often something savoury. I'm trying to do this whilst being around my 7 year old twins and I don't want them noticing too much that my diet is liquid at the moment! I can get away with red bean chilli, indian dahl or something similar served on a plate as it looks pretty normal (ish).

I'm still not weighing myself in between weigh ins but the temptation this week has been incredible. The second week feels harder for this as I know that I had a good number my first week and the worry is that some has gone back on but it can't have when I've been 100% on plan, can it?!

Helen x

Congrats on your loss so far. You lost the same as me in the first week. Really spurs you on, doesn’t it? :)

Thanks so much GymBunny! The first week’s loss has been great and it has meant that I’ve stuck with it 100%.
You have done brilliantly and you’re getting close to your goal now. How are you feeling?

Last edited:
Quick weigh in post and then I’ll write properly later on:

Start: 14st5lbs
Week 1 weigh in: 13st8lbs (-11lbs)
Week 2 weigh in: 13st3lbs (-5lbs so -16lbs)

I’m really pleased! :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much GymBunny! The first week’s loss has been great and it has meant that I’ve stuck with it 100%.
You have done brilliantly and you’re getting close to your goal now. How are you feeling?

I had a planned blowout weekend instead of AAM week. Back on plan today but also have an upset tummy. I think my remaining time on this diet is limited - I’m just not sure yet when the cut off will be. I am certain though that I will move to 5:2 permanently. I like the idea of fasting and resetting and also the freedom to eat what you want within reason and knowing that a down day is just that; a day. It takes the pressure off.

I hope you have another good week :)

Oh my gosh, congratulations! Some great losses - you must be feeling so motivated. I'm so happy you managed to stick to it through second week and you've got the results to show for it!

I'm cheering for you!

Oh my gosh, congratulations! Some great losses - you must be feeling so motivated. I'm so happy you managed to stick to it through second week and you've got the results to show for it!

I'm cheering for you!

Thank you so much!

I'm really pleased with my losses so far. I feel like I'm really in 'the zone' now as I've noticed that I'm not hungry very much and food doesn't seem to matter to me anymore. I'm trying to treat the shakes etc. simply as fuel for my body.
I'm slightly worried about how I'll cope with food on holiday and I'm thinking, now, instead of just going for it that I'll try stay keto by sticking with limiting my carbs. There will be plenty of protein based options that I can enjoy...Then when I get back from my holiday, I'll be straight back on it and the intention is to stick with it to get as close to my goal weight as possible. If I need to switch things around to be able to do more (some!) exercise then I will.

Helen x

I had a planned blowout weekend instead of AAM week. Back on plan today but also have an upset tummy. I think my remaining time on this diet is limited - I’m just not sure yet when the cut off will be. I am certain though that I will move to 5:2 permanently. I like the idea of fasting and resetting and also the freedom to eat what you want within reason and knowing that a down day is just that; a day. It takes the pressure off.

I hope you have another good week :)

I'm also thinking something like 5:2 as a longer term option. Hope you're feeling better after your blowout, GymBunny.

Back