Going back on SW

Zolaw088

Hi all

I joined SW in June and lost 1 stone then stuff happened and I haven't been since end of July. I've put a few lbs back on but am ready to start again just lacking a bit of motivation!

I am going to start at the gym too doing a mixture of cardio and some light weights to tone up (my bingo wings leave alot to be desired). All i want to know really is will this affect my weekly losses? I know muscle weighs more than fat but the main thing that makes me give up is feeling that i've tried so hard and only actually losing a 1lb and not the 3 i was expecting :cry:

Zoe x

a pound a week is a great rate of loss - we all want more but at that rate it is far more likely to stay off
now when you start to exercise you might not lose weight and you might put on a little
BUT that is due to you building muscle
muscle needs gycogen as fuel and that is stored in both muscles and the liver - that can cause a slight weight gain
also muscles do not weigh more than fat - a pound is a pound
but it is denser so will take up less space than a pound of fat (go to a butchers and ask to see a pound of meat fat and a pound of fillet steak)

so forget the scales in the next few weeks BUT do take your measurements in lots of places the usual plus thighs calves biceps etc and then do that at the end of the month - you may not have lost much weight but in a month of exercise and diet you could lose close to a dress size in the inches :)

good luck going to the gym is going to be great for you

Starting an exercise programme can slow your weightloss at first, but it is only temporary and then you will find that your losses will be more than if you weren't exercising. STICK with it! And yes get your tape measure out as you will lose inches before the scales show alot.

Oh and welcome back!

I've only been losing a 1lb a week for ages - yes, it can be frustrating but the weight is still coming off, just a bit slower than some others that's all.

Good luck with your weight loss.

Back