Going dizzy

chele80

On a mission
Time to get to the drs probably.

I keep going dizzy most times I bend down (not all). I nearly passed out after walking to the shops and bending down to a lower shelf.

Is it my blood pressure perhaps or could it be the diet? I'm on week 8 so my body should be used to it right?

I can't even entertain the thought of exercising as I am pretty sure I might pass out! How do you lot do it without going lightheaded?

Ideas? Xx

have you changed anything that you do recently? are you due TOTM? are you drinking enough or maybe too much?

talk to your CDC and maybe your doc too.

I'll bump this one back up to the top, cos I know you're not alone in feeling this way. I go through phases of feeling really dizzy when on SS. For me, it's generally connected to not having drunk enough water (although as Great Things says, it could easily be caused by drinking too much!).

I think those of us that suffer from it learn to live with it - i.e., not to move too fast. It's almost certainly connected to low blood pressure. Low carb diets are well-known for their blood pressure reducing capabilities.

But if you're worried, it probably wouldn't hurt to see your GP - unless of course, he or she's not particularly in favour of VLCDs and is inclined to blame that 'silly diet' without checking you out properly first...

Duplicated post, doh :)

Last edited:
have you changed anything that you do recently? are you due TOTM? are you drinking enough or maybe too much?

talk to your CDC and maybe your doc too.

Nope not changed anything, no TOTM, drunk enough today, not too much, not too little

I'll bump this one back up to the top, cos I know you're not alone in feeling this way. I go through phases of feeling really dizzy when on SS. For me, it's generally connected to not having drunk enough water (although as Great Things says, it could easily be caused by drinking too much!).

I think those of us that suffer from it learn to live with it - i.e., not to move too fast. It's almost certainly connected to low blood pressure. Low carb diets are well-known for their blood pressure reducing capabilities.

But if you're worried, it probably wouldn't hurt to see your GP - unless of course, he or she's not particularly in favour of VLCDs and is inclined to tell you to stop that 'silly diet' without checking you out properly first...

Yeah am worried there will be something to stop me from continuing, I hope not.

I doubt it's low to be honest as I was borderline high before being pregnant and then got pre-eclampsia so went super high, never had low BP.

I just don't understand how people can exercise when I feel like this doing something really quite unstrenuous

I doubt it's low to be honest as I was borderline high before being pregnant and then got pre-eclampsia so went super high, never had low BP.

Ah, but it could be. And even 'low for you' blood pressure would have the same effect, because your body's used to it being higher than it is now.

Here comes the science bit:

The more sugar (carbs) you take in, the more sugar you need to store and the more your insulin levels rise. High levels of insulin can narrow the arterial walls which in turn, will raise blood pressure because a harder pumping action is required to get the blood through the narrower passageways.

But insulin also 'talks' to the kidneys. It tells them to hold on to salt. So the kidneys figure, okay, if we have to hold on to salt, we'd better hold on to water too so that the level of salt remains within safe limits.

Increased salt retention = increased water retention.

More water retention = more fluid = more fluid in your arteries and veins = high blood pressure.

If you reduce levels of insulin in the blood stream by reducing carbs, hey presto - you don't retain salt, so there's no need to retain water. The level of fluid in your arteries and veins reduces and your blood pressure goes down.

(This last bit, by the way, is one of the reasons why you regain several pounds very quickly if you fall off the low carb wagon because you immediately start making more insulin, which means you hold on to salt and water. The other reason is because you refill your glycogen stores in the liver and each gram of glycogen is bound to 4 grams of water. To put it another way, if you refill your glycogen stores with a pound of glycogen you'll gain five pounds :eek:)

So if you've previously suffered from high blood pressure, doing a low carb diet is a very good idea. Many people (my CWPC is one of them) will be able to come off blood pressure medication if they do low carb - that's one of the reasons you need a doctor's supervision to do this diet if you take medication for high blood pressure.

But as I said before, if you are worried, it probably is a good idea to talk to your GP. Does the dizziness go away after a few seconds after moving or do you feel dizzy all the time?

Last edited:
Just to add as well that I've never felt full of beans on SS. :(

Some people talk about ketosis giving them a lovely burst of energy - well, sadly, I've never had that.

I wouldn't say I feel ill all the time cos that's a huge exaggeration but I feel below par. The very first time I did SS back in 2007, I kept waiting for this wonderful energy rush to happen, but it never did. Though I did start to feel quite a bit better around week 9 to 10, I seem to recall.

But exercise - nah. :D It's about all I can do to go to work each day. I know lots of people here are doing really well on the exercise front but I know from experience that I can't do much in the way of exercise on SS. That's just the way it is for some of us, unfortunately.

Hi Chele

I've just read your post, sorry your feeling dizzy it's an awful feeling!! I have postural hypotension (low bp) when I stand up or exert myself instead of my bp going up mine goes down and I get little flashey lights in front of my eyes for a few seconds. I was very poorly a few weeks ago and collapsed at work and I couldn't leave A&E for hours as my bp wouldn't settle.

The Doctors actually reccomended I add a little more salt to my diet which is the worse thing for people with higher bp.

Your GP can do a quick test to check your bp when you sit and then stand up.. another thought is your ears? a middle ear infection can cause dizzyness.

I didn't come off plan when I had it last time, I went up to 1000, then back to 810 until it sorted itself out.

Good luck I hope you feel better soon. x

Hi

As Sarah says it does sound a bit like postural hypotension and normally the advice is to take changes in posture a bit more slowly (we're talking nano seconds not minutes) and try to keep your head about your heart when possibly e.g. squat to reach the floor, washing machine, lower drawers etc rather than bending from the waist (which over time is bad for your back anyway so changing to squatting will have a double benefit!).

It could also be a viral issue with your balance centre or some sort of vertigo.

Eitherway undiagnosed dizziness needs to be checked out by your GP as it is not normal.

Dizziness | Health | Patient UK

See that GP and get yourself reassured :D

Back