Going for the big TT !!

icemoose

The Diet Guy
Well I thought I would start my own little diary as it has been well over a year since I finished my blog and stopped writing down what I was up to so now seems a good time to start again as I am just over a month away from a tummy tuck!

I finished the diet in February last year (2006) having lost just under 12 stone on VLCD and around 14 stone down from my heaviest weight.

While I was losing weight I tried every trick that was out there, I rubbed bio oil on my tummy every morning and night, I got an electro ab stimulator, I bought some pongy green stuff from QVC at 40 quid someone recommend, I drank at least 6 litres of water a day, I did sit ups, I had massage mits and generally tried my best to keep my tummy skin down to a minimum, anyway I have to say it makes bugger all difference!

So anyway I am now 15 months since I finished and I am still at goal weight but my tummy skin is exactly the same as it was when I finished the diet and it isn't going to get any better so I am going for a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) on June 18th (pre-op assessment on the 11th June).

I have talked it over with the consultant and I have decided to lose around 1 stone more between now and then utilising the Cambridge (yes I am going back on SS!!) as he says it will give a better finish if I go around 1 stone under my desired weight and hence I will next weekend after 14 months without a packet of soup be back on the diet for only about 3 weeks to trim off that stone and then do some quick maintenance before going in for the op!!

Seems funny going back on the diet as I still weight what I did when I finished it and will after the operation deliberately come back to this weight again as I find it ok to maintain at around 13.5 stone to 14 stone.

I am though in a funny way looking forward to it, everyone says it is really hard the second time round compared to the first so we will see how I fair and whether I still think the packs taste yummy!!

Over the operation I am more worried about catching something nasty in the hospital like MRSA or C-Diff but not a lot I can do about it so will be going in and hoping I get a little side room with an internet connected PC so I can play Benbats all day!

Before I go for the operation I will do some before photos (don't panic they won't be too gross!) and then I can do some after to see if it looks any better, I have to say I don't like the idea of an 18 inch scar across my middle but the consultant says it is a very low scar and also I have a botched appendicitis scar from when I was big and they had to get in there quick to get it out so already have a nasty scar so I suppose can't be much worse!

So I am officially back on the diet next Sunday (13th I think) so will be on here with my headaches and general "I feel crap"comments, just can't wait until after the operation when I can eat some nice treats for a change to gently put the weight back on!

Right must go to bed!

Mike out....

I still reckon that you should work it our rather than going for op.... dont really like the idea of it (kind of scary!!)

Go to the gym 3-4 times a week only for cardio's and work it out if you can..... i read somwhere that everyone has a six pack on their stomach, its just that there a big layer of fat covering it and that can only be burnt out by cardio.....

But anyway..... All the best mate and welcome back to SS

Believe me I have tried! The problem is that there isn't any fat there anymore, it is just loose skin!! I could pull it over my head and look like a sugar puff (slight exageration but you know what I mean!)

I have been going to the gym 3 times a week for over a year now and can do 200 sit ups without trying but although the muscle is defined the skin just isn't going to snap back in.

I have seen a consultant at the hospital I work in and asked for his opinion and he said that being up to 27 stone at one point means it is incredibly unlikely to bounce back and the fact it has been 12 months without any movement means I am kind of stuck with it!

I am quite scared by the operation but at the same point I can't think of the next 40 years with an apron of skin around my tummy reminding me of the big me.

M.

Hi Mike!
Good luck with the re-start! I truly hope you do find it a breeze 2nd time. I think you will to be honest, as you only have an ickle tiny bit to shift this time, and it's for a pretty damn good reason! I think some of us find it difficult getting our heads back into CD when we've put on several pounds (or stones!) back on. At least you've kept your weight spot on!
When it's just skin left, I agree that no amount of exercise is gonna change it! Your muscles will be fab 'n perky underneath though! Can't wait to see the final result after you've recovered! Maybe the press can do a "follow-up" story? I think that would be just as inspiring as your weight-loss one! If readers learnt that you've maintained for so long, then had skin surgery, it shows that the full monty can be achieved (albeit bloody hard work!).
I know others about to have same surgery. It's normal to be apprehensive, but you'll be so fine - these surgeons perform so many TTs these days - they've got it down to a fine art! Just tell them their work may be shown to the nation, and they'll ensure their stitch work is perfection!
Good luck with it all! Will we recognise you at next CD meeting??!!!!!!:giggle:

Lainey xxx

hi mike good luck for the op.

re:worries about hospital bugs, remember they arent actually that comman, its just a very big media thing. you can look up mrsa rates for the hospital you are going to, also if you are very anxious take in some-bac wipes for wiping own bed rails, bedside cabinets, and remember to ask everyone coming in who wants to prod you if they have washed their hands. they wont mind you asking.

oh and take come hand cream if you are going to be for a while, as that alcohol gel can wreak havoc with you skin after just one day, let alone a couple (when hubby is in 3 days in hospital for him leaves me with papery sore hands from the gel)

looking forward to seeing more after pics, and good luck for SS-ing for 3 weeks.

Can i ask, do you have excess skin on your arms as well? or is it just your tum? My tummy apron is shrinking, so am hoping it will bounce back a bit, as have never had an op and not sure i could have a TT as would be bricking it.

oh wow Mike that is exciting news, I do admire your honesty about the loose skin though, as I also know that having been at 27 stones it aint gonna ping back either, i would sooo have it done as well, loosing all the weight and lugging around droopy flaps is not good is it
can I ask, is it nhs or private?
you can pm me if you dont want to go into that here
cheers mate
nat x

Hi Mike - good luck woth the re-start !

Look forward to reading your diary...you're one of the main reasons I found Cambridge in the first place !

fingers crossed for the op - you'll be fine...sounds like you've given it a lot of thought and have tried all other avenues to rid yourself of that apron....:rolleyes:

love

Debz
xx

Oh Mike, that is fantastic news, I think i will need a TT too, but will wait 12 months from goal (when I get there).. I understand too that the skin will ping back as much as it is going to in the 12 months after goal... Can't wait to hear all about it.. (good bits and bad bits - sorry there will be some, after having a bad emergency c-section!) and see the before and after piccies.. I'm excited for you!!

As for SSing, you know what to do, you know you will feel crap the first few days, but at least you have a goal date to aim for, which will make it easier I think...

Love

Hi Mike

Good luck with your OP. I know what you mean about the saggy skin, mine is still gross & I know it wont ever get any better, in fact as we age I think it will get worse. :confused:

I am very tempted to go for an assesment for a TT, the only thing putting me off at the moment is

a) the cost &
b)finding a good surgeon.

May I ask where you are having yours done & by whom as this will be a good endorsement for others in this area considering the treatment.

Also look forward to reading your blog about it as I know you will tell it 'warts & all'

good luck with the restart and also with the TT. you know whether it's right for you or not and it's a very personal decision. I already have loose skin which has no fat but just isn't bouncing back so I can only imagine what mine will be like at the end.

seeing as you gave such inspiration to me,i feel it is time to give something back
a) hand hygiene in hospital is the key to being bug free, doctors nad nurses are worst culprits . dont let anyone touch you without washing hands or using hand gel.
b) get out of hospital as soon as possible. your own own home grown bugs and your families ,you are already immune to .
c)day one is the day to feel sory for self but after that, rest well. dont laze about,if you are tired rest ,if not move about. important for muscle healing.when you are home you will naturally move about more .
d) drink plenty of fluids,as if i need to tell you .
e)you will be sore,dont skimp on pain relief. better to have plenty of pain relief and move about,than being in pain and darnt move. you will get a dvt or chest infection if you dont move about . dont forget to wear the sexy white stockings.
f) final thing , be nice to the nurses ,most are good people . ferroro rocha ( i know thats not how you spell it ) are generally a nurses favourite , second to a heart felt ,thank you

Best of Luck Mike!!

Let us know how you do 2nd time round! Can't wait to see those photos!

GOOD LUCK

I am though in a funny way looking forward to it, everyone says it is really hard the second time round compared to the first so we will see how I fair and whether I still think the packs taste yummy!!

I don't think you'll have a problem at all. I didn't when I had to come off a couple of times....then again, when I did CD later. I think the break will make it a novelty again, you know that people find it hard so you won't fall into the same trap, you know we are watching you;) and I bet you are as bloody minded as I am when it comes to a project:D

Good luck Mike. Exciting eh ;)

Good luck Mike, both with the diet and the operation.

Having had surgery myself recently I know exactly the concerns you're experiencing - but, one month on, I can honestly say that I'm absolutely delighted! (Not that it was the same kind as you're having of course :rolleyes: ).

I'm also considering the possibility of having a TT as my doctor has told me I'd be able to have it done on the NHS provided I keep the weight off for 2 years. So that's 5 months down, 19 to go then :rolleyes: .

I'll certainly be following your progress with interest!

Wishing you all the best Mike with your TT and I think it will be no bother for you getting back on SSing.

It has been long enough it will feel like new again:)

We are here to support you and give you a push if needed along the way.:grouphugg:

Love Mini xxx

I Forgot,if You Are A Person Who Believes In Alternative Therapies Etc. Arnica Tablets Are Fabulous To Aid Healing And Reduce Swelling . Had Them After I Had 10 Teeth Out,definately Made A Difference ,met My Future Husband 3 Days Post Surgery And He Barely Noticed My Hamster Cheeks

Oooh thanks everyone!! Difficult to get on the internet at the minute and I am on the world's worst pc!

Anyway I am having the surgery done on the NHS, my GP was a diamond and wrote a lovely letter to the local plastic surgeon saying that I had kept the weight off for a year and could he help.

When I met the surgeon I thought I would have to beg but he had a look, said it wouldn't get any better, said well done for keeping the weight off and booked me straight in!! I have to say I was very surprised but also very pleased!!

He did though say that I would be off work for between 4 and 10 weeks depending on the healing so hoping it is 4 weeks as I can't have 10 weeks off of work!! (even though it would be nice to have the summer off!!)

M.

good luck mike you truly deserve it your one in a million xxxx

Back