Going solo on Slimming World

Gettogoal

Hi

Looking for some advice. I joined SW nearly 5 weeks ago full of determination. I’ve found the leader really unsupportive. Lots of generic texts but never replies to direct questions on texts and the meeting after weigh in goes on for 90 mins and isn’t helpful at all so I’ve decided to weigh myself weekly at my gym instead. I only need to lose about 10lbs and have lost 5lbs so far. I exercise 6 days a week and I’m enjoying eating more veg, cooking from scratch and not feeling deprived or hungry. BUT the weight loss is slow and I can’t understand how things like baked beans w sugar are ‘free’? A typical day is breakfast of oats w berries, lunch is bacon medallions/eggs/spinach/mushrooms, dinner a small portion of chilli/pasta bake w loads speed food. Max 5 syns a day altho on a weekend I have 3 or 4 glasses wine on a sat night. I exercise a lot. Any tips on keeping my losses going on my own and pointers on free foods and keeping eye on calories? It seems crazy that pasta, rice etc is free but I do watch the amount and load about half plate w speed food. Thanks

As you don't have much to lose then it will be slow to come off. Also who says you have 10 lb to loss? I understand it if you are carrying a lot of weight but if you are already at a sensible weight then why do you think you have 10 lb to lose?:)
As you go to the gym you could be building muscle so track your measurements. I'm not really bothered about the scales it's how I feel and look.
I was 8 and half stone for 3 years and a size 10. I am now just over 9 stone and still a 10.

It’s my goal to lose 10lbs to be back at a weight I’ve been before. It’s not the lowest weight I’ve been as I struggle to maintain that. I’ve had weigh in today and gained a pound! I seem to bounce between small losses and small gains. It’s like I’m getting nowhere. Very demoralising! I’ve always exercised a lot so my body is used to that but I am trying to shift to more weight training. I feel like giving up! I’ve not had bread, butter, crisps and hardly any alcohol for 5 weeks now.

Hi

Looking for some advice. I joined SW nearly 5 weeks ago full of determination. I’ve found the leader really unsupportive. Lots of generic texts but never replies to direct questions on texts and the meeting after weigh in goes on for 90 mins and isn’t helpful at all so I’ve decided to weigh myself weekly at my gym instead. I only need to lose about 10lbs and have lost 5lbs so far. I exercise 6 days a week and I’m enjoying eating more veg, cooking from scratch and not feeling deprived or hungry. BUT the weight loss is slow and I can’t understand how things like baked beans w sugar are ‘free’? A typical day is breakfast of oats w berries, lunch is bacon medallions/eggs/spinach/mushrooms, dinner a small portion of chilli/pasta bake w loads speed food. Max 5 syns a day altho on a weekend I have 3 or 4 glasses wine on a sat night. I exercise a lot. Any tips on keeping my losses going on my own and pointers on free foods and keeping eye on calories? It seems crazy that pasta, rice etc is free but I do watch the amount and load about half plate w speed food. Thanks

Firstly - I agree with Mary's wise post!

I can understand your frustration if the SW class you went to wasn't helpful - your consultant should have made it clear to you and her class that - 'free' foods aren't meant to be eaten freely - in fact the basis of the SW diet is that we eat to satisfy our appetites - not pile free food onto our plates - I for one find that difficult to follow at times but you seem to be much more disciplined than me and watch the amount you eat. You're doing well with your proportions of speed and syns too.

I agree that it's strange that pasta and rice are free but there's many of us who've lost weight eating those foods whilst sticking to SW rules.

I think the nearer we get to our goal weight - our weekly weight losses become lower - from your post I think you've lost 1lb a week over 5 weeks - I'd say that's normal or the average for someone so close to goal.

I hope you reach your goal soon - by losing a pound a week or so - you're more likely to maintain your goal weight - that'll be cold comfort I expect but it's true - good luck!

Firstly - I agree with Mary's wise post!

I can understand your frustration if the SW class you went to wasn't helpful - your consultant should have made it clear to you and her class that - 'free' foods aren't meant to be eaten freely - in fact the basis of the SW diet is that we eat to satisfy our appetites - not pile free food onto our plates - I for one find that difficult to follow at times but you seem to be much more disciplined than me and watch the amount you eat. You're doing well with your proportions of speed and syns too.

I agree that it's strange that pasta and rice are free but there's many of us who've lost weight eating those foods whilst sticking to SW rules.

I think the nearer we get to our goal weight - our weekly weight losses become lower - from your post I think you've lost 1lb a week over 5 weeks - I'd say that's normal or the average for someone so close to goal.

I hope you reach your goal soon - by losing a pound a week or so - you're more likely to maintain your goal weight - that'll be cold comfort I expect but it's true - good luck!

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. To see a pound on today has really upset me. I’m resenting having to cook everything from scratch and never having bread etc. All I want for my dinner tonight is white toast w low fat butter and eggs not chicken, veg etc. I just don’t fancy it and w the results going against me I think why am I bothering? Feel so negative about it all tonight. 4lbs in 5 weeks with so much sacrifice.

Well done on the 4lbs in five weeks. How often do you weigh yourself. Could you try (if you haven't up to now) weighing in the morning before you eat. Once a week is what it should be but many weigh every day.
I am a yoyo dieter and weigh myself every morning. Can't help it.😊.

Good luck with the rest of what you want to lose.

I know how it feels to have a gain after an on plan week - think lots us feel like giving up in that situation - but we know what'll happen if we do that!

Your small gain could be water retention which will drop off if you follow the diet next week as you have been doing - why don't you have some low fat buttered white toast and eggs - using the syns you've not used this week?

If you don't go bonkers like I do sometimes - you should be fine with that then carry on with the diet as usual in the morning. If you don't - you might resent the diet and sometime soon you might be tempted to blow the diet completely with a feast (or is that me just thinking of me in a similar situation?!)

I never understand why but I've seen it so many times to know that sometimes when we reduce the food we eat - restricting our syns & free food - we may maintain or or even gain - yet by sticking to the SW plan and have our syns, Healthy Extras and 3 healthy meals with the right proportion of speed - we lose weight!

Thanks everyone. I weigh myself mid morning after exercise at the gym. I’m going to switch to first thing once a week at home. I was good tonight and had courgetti/ratatouille for dinner. I have friends I haven’t seen for ages over tomorrow night for dinner and drinks so I’m trying to plan for that. My husband suggested Thai takeaway and I haven’t had one cheat meal in 5 weeks but it seems bad esp with my disappointing result on the scales! I’m not sure they will enjoy an SW fakeaway as much tho! X

Back