Going solo to going to class converts

Babysham80

Hi Guys,
A bit of my back story, I did slimming world @ home in 2010, and managed to lose 3 & a half stone doing it in a relatively short period of time, about 4-5 months. I hit a brick wall and could not for the life of me lose any more weight, so I started calorie counting using my fitness pal, which was very on/off because it was sooooo tedious in comparison to SW, so I am going to take the plunge after pay day and finally join classes.
Are there any more converts out there? Does it actually help keep you on straight and narrow?
I am getting married in May, so need to break through my wall and try to keep focused this time!

Hi

I did SW from home for almost 2 years. When I weighed myself in October I realised I was almost exactly the same weight as I was 2yrs previously:confused:. I had gone through a cycle of having a decent loss then falling off the wagon for weeks after a celebration & putting it all back on.

I finally joined a class at the begining of Novemberand so far I have lost 6.5lbs. That includes 2 small gains in December BUT I only put on 1.5lbs between 22 dec & 5th January. last year it was more like 8lbs. I think going to class is keeping me on track, I dont want to be the only one to have a gain so the idea of that keeps me on the straight and narrow (most of the time).

Give it a go, the worst that can happen is you don't enjoy the class BUT you might love it and find a totally new support system.

Good luck :)

i would like to join a class but dont feel confident. i dont like going to classes by myself. i keep doing searches online each morning to see where the local sw group is and what time but cant seem to make the first move. see my blog.

Last edited:
Thanks Kerry B - sounds like you was in the the same boat as me - it seems that going to classes has given you that push I am after.
Calmk2202 - where in Notts are you? I know what you are saying, the only reason I am braving class is my step mum & step sister are joining up!

I live near clifton village near the University campus. so the classes at the village hall, West Bridgford and at a push Beeston are my nearest classes.

Hi Guys,
A bit of my back story, I did slimming world @ home in 2010, and managed to lose 3 & a half stone doing it in a relatively short period of time, about 4-5 months. I hit a brick wall and could not for the life of me lose any more weight, so I started calorie counting using my fitness pal, which was very on/off because it was sooooo tedious in comparison to SW, so I am going to take the plunge after pay day and finally join classes.
Are there any more converts out there? Does it actually help keep you on straight and narrow?
I am getting married in May, so need to break through my wall and try to keep focused this time!

Early this year i did sw at home with old books etc, and lost a stone but then put it back on, i tried loosing it again but couldnt get into it properly and seemed hard work so on the 6th Sept i joined a group and so far (18 wks) i've lost 19.5 (hoping for my stone & half award on Tue)
Staying for group helps cause i can ask questions if struggling with anything and get motivation if i feel down about my weight loss etc.
Its the others in the group that motivate not the Consultant, i couldnt' do this without them (and the people on minimins)

i would like to join a class but dont feel confident. i dont like going to classes by myself. i keep doing searches online each morning to see where the local sw group is and what time but cant seem to make the first move. see my blog.

I joined on my own and it is scary for first couple of weeks, but then you make friends wi people there and now i look forward to my group - Be brave you wont regret it!

Im in the same boat as you. I did SW a while back and lost a stone while I was pregnant but fell off the wagon, now iv put that stone on i lost and anotgher besides and iv still got 10 weeks to go till i give birth so thats far too much weight gain for any obese pregnant woman. Iv decided that instead of doing it myself at home, id joing a group for the extra motivtation & suppport, but im like you, hate going to classes & even though everyone is in the same boat, i feel very very self conciouse, especialy as I go on my own as well. The best advice I can give you is find a small group, this is what I did and its much more "cosy" and less daunting. I was terrified of going back last week, but i went any way, it was only afew days after that i realised iv got antenatal classess clashing with my next 3 meetings so im staying with the same leader but the groups bigger and im dredding weigh in tonigh

Well guess what - i did it - joined a group. was actually heavier than i thought 14st 9 1/2 lbs. second week yesterday and started to like it. lost 5lbs :)

Yay - well done for braving the class. A good time of year to do it as I'm imagine there were lots of other people joing on their own alongside you.

And what a great loss!! Excellent. xx

I am a convert -I'm on mat leave so very easy to
1. Not shed the baby weight & pile on more
2. Fall off the wagon as no dieters around me to keep me on track (worked with lots of women!)
3. Cheat. I'm on my own & who would know? I lack a lot of self control with food!

So I joined a class to make sure none of the above happen. I went on my own (was so nervous) but the group are really nice (phew!) & 2 weeks in I've lost 7.5lb!! For me it definitely works going to class as I'm just not in the right place to be able to commit to it on my own & make it work. The fact I pay to get weighed makes me stick to it as I can't afford to waste £5 a week for nothing!! Good luck x

That's why I went to class, I hate wasting money and it helped me to stay focuwe

Yep me!

I tried it out at home, finally took the plunge and went to group back in October and i love it! I can't pinpoint exactly what is different but it does make a difference. Good luck at group!

I did 2 weeks at home & then joined a club last week , explained to C that I wouldn't be having the miracle loss that is often experienced in the first week as I've already had my FIRST week !
The only thing that I didn't really enjoy was having to listen to going through each persons loss, goal for next time etc , it's a fairly new group and I can imagine that as the class grows it will take nearly all the time up !! I know that some people will like that aspect but I think its something that people could offer to say themselves if they wanted to "Share" , especially if they'd had a really good week or maybe even a tough one !!
I'd rather talk food , recipes, tips & hints for staying on track & exercise !!
I really want to stay to class but I won't be if we are spending 1/2 hr clapping !!
We will see how it goes !

Thanks gals. I am taking the plunge on Monday!

Good move!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. I'm sure you won't regret it going to a group. Between attending the group and coming on here you'll have more than enough support to help you towards that all important goal! ;)

Nice to see someone from Nottingham on here too...:D

I joined 12 months ago, got to target in July and I started group not knowing anyone! I was very nervous and I remember my c sitting at the new members table talking to a lot of ladies. She said "Hi come in, you looked terrified." I was and she then asked for a cup of tea for me, and gradually as I sat there I began to relax then I sat with a couple of ladies who came together. I then sat with them every week and my confidence grew as I got to know more people. I am now a member of the social team and when we have I T I look to see which new members seem to be sitting on their own and I go and join them. I would have liked this and I think it helps on yr first few weeks. Well done everyone on joining group, it really is the way forward

I did 2 weeks at home & then joined a club last week , explained to C that I wouldn't be having the miracle loss that is often experienced in the first week as I've already had my FIRST week !
The only thing that I didn't really enjoy was having to listen to going through each persons loss, goal for next time etc , it's a fairly new group and I can imagine that as the class grows it will take nearly all the time up !! I know that some people will like that aspect but I think its something that people could offer to say themselves if they wanted to "Share" , especially if they'd had a really good week or maybe even a tough one !!
I'd rather talk food , recipes, tips & hints for staying on track & exercise !!
I really want to stay to class but I won't be if we are spending 1/2 hr clapping !!
We will see how it goes !

Couldnt agree more ! There is so much our c could talk about rather than spending so much time congratulating each member. At ww the c said "who s lost 1lb" , those who had raised hands and were given a clap and so on for each incremental loss. Seems far more sensible. Although I love my group and staying somehow helps me to "buy into it".

I joined a class 3 weeks ago and I have had a really difficult week this week. If it wasn't got the fact I hand a WI tomorrow, I know for a fact I would have caved in this weekend. I have already promised myself that when I finally get to target I will still attend to keep me on the straight and narrow :)

I agree! I dont stay to class even though our c is really good , i hate spending 30-40 mins clapping everones weight loss. I love slimming world but i think you get so much more out of weight watchers meetings.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I am another who re-started class this month after going it alone.

As Kerry said, I was falling on and off the wagon in time of celebration and effectively it got me nowhere. I have re-joined class with the intention of sticking to it- I've got 8 months to drop 3 dress sizes AT LEAST!!

I also don't like the was class works. I used to go to a really small class and that was much better- everyone got a clap and then we spent time discussing new ideas, recipes etc. It was much better in terms of image therapy. My new class is huge- 100+ people. The best advice we get is when the C asks people with a decent loss what their fave SW meal was that week and hardly any of them are ever any good! You get the odd good answer- other than that it's hardly worth staying.

Back