Going to attempt a run tonight, any tips??

scrummymummy86

Been on SW for 6/7 weeks now, been swimming a couple of times a week and done zumba a few times which I loved!
However want to step my game up a bit after a bit of a naughty weekend, and want to get a pound off by Friday to get me to the stone mark. Also a bit skint this week, so paying for classes and swim sessions is out of the question for now.
Always hated exercise since I was a teen, and wont even run for a bus at the moment lol. Just wondering if any other exercise shy people have got into running and any tips or suggestions for getting the most out of it?

I started running four weeks ago and I really enjoy it! Definitely helping my weight loss and also inches loss, i've lost over an inch on my thighs already!

My best advice is to download one of the couch to 5k podcasts, they start you off slowly and you build up to running 5K by the end of 9 or 10 weeks. This way you aren't overdoing it and you won't put yourself off! If you don't have anything to download it on to (iphone, ipod, mp3 player, smart phone), get a stop watch. Start off by doing 5 mins brisk walking to warm up and then run for 1 min, walk for 1 min. Repeat 8 times and then finish off by another 5 mins walk to cool down. You can then build up slowly from there. The problem with running is that people try too hard and go too fast initially which either means they pull something or they think it's too hard and give up. (I did it myself in October. Went out for my first run in years, pushed it too hard and ended up tearing the ligaments in my ankle badly! Ouch) By starting at small increments you build up your fitness and resistance slowly and it's more sustainable.

To give you an idea, 4 weeks ago I was struggling to run for a minute at a time, my chest was hurting and my legs were jelly each run. Now I can happily run for up to five mins at a time! Its a great feeling. I have an iphone and use the get running app.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on :)

Oh and I do Zumba too - love it!!!

thanks for this!! ill be getting roped into this running lark too :( ha ha ha x

Thanks very much!
Glad I asked now as I was basically just going to run for as long as I could, almost looking forward to it now! :) x

I've wanted to start running for ages, and finally did last night :)

I've never really done it before and only managed 10 minutes (walked for a few minutes in the middle) and I was really out of breath and my legs ached LOL.

I downloaded the Get Running app and plan to use it, definitely.

Although it was only ten minutes and I felt really unfit, I enjoyed it. Can't wait until I can run for ages :)

My advice mirrors LilyB- don't 'run'

Your body needs adjustment time and you would HATE it if you just tried to run as you would feel so unfit. Take it really slowly and with each walk/run gradually decrease the walking time and increase the running

Also the key with beginners at running is endurance NOT speed. Try and focus on how long you can walk/run for first rather than how fast you go- otherwise you risk an injury by pushing too hard too soon

Good luck xxx

Thanks to you all :)
Great advice, going to build up slowly over a few weeks and see how I go.
And cupcake, if I manage to last ten mins I'll see it as a very big personal achievement!! Xx

Another vote for the couch 2 5 K programme here -and take it at your own pace - if you dont feel ready to progress to the next week then don't (although do give it a try first, you can always go back)

I've downloaded podcasts from this site -Running Into Shape she does two podcasts per week - one is a bit chart/hip-hop/dance/R&B, the other can be a bit random (one week its 80s, another its metal etc). Not all the music is to my taste, but its good enough for 30 minutes, and it means all the hard work is done for you (except for the running obviously - you have to do that bit yourself!)

Definitely don't feel like you have to run fast - I run at the pace of a snail (I'd probably walk faster, haha) but it still really gets your heart-rate up. And I agree with the other comments about pacing yourself - a walk/run programme is a really great idea. Try one minute jogging to one minute power walking for twenty minutes or so - increasing the walking time if you think you need it.

Trainers: make sure you either get a good pair of all round trainers or get your gait checked and buy trainers to suit.

I ran last year and was coming away really sore. Bruises appeared just at the side of my knees. Turns out my running trainers didn't have enough padding. I've since boght some good all terrain running shoes, what a difference!! I'm still sore, but no where near as bad as before.

If you have the money, spend it. It's a worthwhile investment! Don't buy cheap........!

I'm quite getting interested in running now, i do a bit at the gym but i do have a very nice massive park near me to run round might try it thank's for posting:D

Definitely a good pair of running shoes. I got a pair of Brooks Trance last year and they are so comfy and some have inbuilt padding if you have slightly flat feet etc xx

Brooks - Products

oh, yeah- and if you have big bangers, get a decent sports bra!

(I should be so lucky) :-(

And even if you haven't got big bangers its a worthwhile investment anyway! Mine aren't big but they aren't exactly pert after two children so my sports bra stops them from flying all over the place and putting me off!! :giggle:

And I will be investing in a pair of decent running shoes when I've been doing it for a while longer, but for now money dictates I just use my bog standard trainers which are doing the job just fine. Sometimes it's worth investing a bit of time to see if running is for you before you shell out for all the kit! Having said that, I have just bought an iphone armband holder so I don't have to keep it in my hand! ;)

And even if you haven't got big bangers its a worthwhile investment anyway! Mine aren't big but they aren't exactly pert after two children so my sports bra stops them from flying all over the place and putting me off!! :giggle:

And I will be investing in a pair of decent running shoes when I've been doing it for a while longer, but for now money dictates I just use my bog standard trainers which are doing the job just fine. Sometimes it's worth investing a bit of time to see if running is for you before you shell out for all the kit! Having said that, I have just bought an iphone armband holder so I don't have to keep it in my hand! ;)

The thing with the trainers is that some people can get away with cheap bog standard ones, and others cant - the problem being you don't know if you cant until its too late!

Last year (nearly 3 1/2 stones heavier) I started exercising for the first time in years (bar walking which I've always done). Was just going to a gym which had jogging stations in between the machines, but after a few weeks of going (and putting a fair bit of effort at the jogging stations) I found my lower shins/ankles were hurting on the inside of my legs. Went to a physio who told me I was flat footed and that I under pronate and needed decent running shoes to compensate (and my weight didnt help!) He also told me my walking boots were no good (I never replaced those though, and seemed fine). If fact he dissed all my shoes, and I ended up really annoyed that people get away with high heels and all sorts of nonsense, yet my physio suggested I needed sensible shoes all the time!

I think he was going a bit overboard to be honest, but I did go to some proper running shoe shops to replace my trainers - they analysed my gait (as best they could, I was still in pain when i went and stuggling to walk, let alone run) and I bought some brooks trainers which have an arch built in to counter my flat footedness.

Plenty of people dont have this problem of course and can get away with a cheapy pair from JJB, but it really is one of those things you wont find out until you try.

I'd suggest that if you dont want to invest in new shoes just yet, be really careful and listen to your body. If you dont get any problems then great, but if you have any twinges at all, stop and get yourself to a decent sports shoe shop to see what they say. My problem was, I felt the twinges, but didnt stop, and was in agony for a few weeks afterwards.

I totally agree with being careful and listening to your body and that's what I'm doing at the moment. I will definitely get a decent pair of trainers but unfortunately I just can't afford them at the moment, I didn't want it to stop me getting started though.

Back