Goldilukes Diary of a food zombie

Your cheat day looks fine to me Lauren. They say you can have an extra 1,000 calories on your cheat day. I've read that you will go up and down, but you should have a good loss by end of week although I think it may be best to see what you lose monthly to get a true picture?

Just reading all three carb cycling books and they're very different and the same if that makes any sense. Going with the chris powell choose to lose one as it's the best fit. It's an every other day cycle with a cheat day once a week and includes exercise. x

Your cheat day looks fine to me Lauren. They say you can have an extra 1,000 calories on your cheat day. I've read that you will go up and down, but you should have a good loss by end of week although I think it may be best to see what you lose monthly to get a true picture? Just reading all three carb cycling books and they're very different and the same if that makes any sense. Going with the chris powell choose to lose one as it's the best fit. It's an every other day cycle with a cheat day once a week and includes exercise. x

I don't buy this carb cycling thing. Cheat day imo gives the wrong impression too :(

I read three books on carb cycling too and found Chris Powell's one the best. He actually has four different patterns of the cycle. I was toying between the one where you can have a treat 'meal' for each high carb day (not for dinner tho), rather than having a treat 'day' and the classic cycle of alternating high and low and then one treat day. I chose the latter cos he says although the first one will be easier to manage, you'll lose weight slower.

I believe Chris Powell calls it a 'Reward meal' or 'Reward day'. But but but... reward for what??? :p

I just can't buy it. I agree people will lose weight on it but surely intermittantly having your blood sugars spiking and the issues that causes can't be good for you.

Our blood sugars intermittently spike anyway...particularly if you exercise or fast, and if your primary goal is weight loss then carb cycling, as with calorie cycling has a long history of success.

I want to give it a go, I'm just debating how / when...

There are negative things said about all diets...vlcd, low carb, fasting, even calorie counting! It's up to us to weigh up a balanced argument or trial.

Where's the evidence that it is harmful to health? Do you have any links? That would be interesting to read.

There are negative things said about all diets...vlcd, low carb, fasting, even calorie counting! It's up to us to weigh up a balanced argument or trial. Where's the evidence that it is harmful to health? Do you have any links? That would be interesting to read.

Absolutely. We have to make our own judgements. Eating carbs/sugars increases the body to release a hormone which promotes appetite and insulin in large amounts is released. Your body then becomes efficient at burning carbs for energy which is known for why many people (not all) get obese. To swap from being a carb burner to a fat burner (when no carbs are consumed) for energy surely confused the body? It COULD encourage overeating etc.

Just my thoughts thats all

But surely that happens overnight anyway, when we stop eating, carb cycling is just extending that...

On the encouraging overeating I think that's v individual. I know 4:3 causes me to binge eat but 5:2 has the opposite effect.

Anyway...not meaning to argue so I'm backing off...i have been known for my argumentative nature and wouldn't want to cause offence! I support anyone on any diet!!!!

I have only skimmed these last posts. The reason Chris says about treat day is to give you the treats you crave all the other times.
Plus when I have done any diet at all I've always included myself a treat day cos I do love my food I do love to eat and having something to look forward to is what it's all about. If you can diet 24/7 till you are at goal then good for you. But I can't. I need a treat and it's working. And as the saying goes.......

I wasn't condoning anybody's opinions and actions...I am merely asking questions. If one cannot do that here without being subjected to negative posts then I am out.

Kitty was merely stating my opinion too !

I love forums, but one tough thing about reading text on a screen is you can't hear tone of voice or see body language...boo! Just my two cents but I got the impression people were simply trying to explain why they've come to the conclusion that carb cycling is a good thing. I also think it's great to question stuff and make up your own mind, and that's why I like this place so much. There's a ton of information here and posters who are willing to help out, whether it be by sharing personal experience or providing links to outside sources. :)

Goldilukes, good luck with what you're doing and please keep sharing - I find this all really interesting!

Morning everyone,

To give my thoughts kitty, I don't think of it being dangerous or bad for health. Think about early humans starving (ketosis) for days whilst they hunted for food then gorging on berries (insulin spike) this is just how I think of it all. We were never really accustomed to a good sensible pattern so I believe we are still able to adapt this way without harming ourselves.

Morning everyone,

second day of carb down and I am still starving, I've woken again so hungry I feel sick. I'm 10.2.2 :( :( :( I'm just keep going up! I managed to behave without cravings...which is weird, because I thought I'd be craving all sorts but no just starving for food all day. I woke a little late and was so drained,tired and cold all day it was unbelievable.

Menu up yesterday was pitiful and today will be just as bad because all my low carb stuff is going out of date, it's bank holiday and I hate eating things I think may be on the off.

B small piece gammon
s 6 walnuts, jack cheese, 3 olives
L 2 frankfurters with mayo
s 6 macadamias, small glass cream
D mince with stir fry veg

so much water over did it and my usual 6 coffees with cream

ive noticed that carb cycling allows food to go off because I have to wait ages to eat it and it's fresh so will have to shop say by day because if I shove much more food in the bin oh will start seeing it budge and have a go. He hates waste.

Really not sure what to do at this point except to note that I felt at my best on my mod carb/low GI days compared to any other. I don't think high days or low days are good for me anymore so after I give this experiment another week or two I may just stick to mod carb/low GI days throughout but be sensible and count cals too.

hope you are all keeping well?

Sorry you are feeling so sick and hungry. And I hope you have a better day. I on the other hand feel sick with gluttony so am looking forward to a day of low
!
Have a great day xxx

Sorry you're not feeling well :( Apparnetly high carb days should give you lots of energy whereas low carb days make you feel slightly sluggish in comparison. Feeling good is important so give it a couple more weeks and if it still doesn't feel right to you, go with what you're comfortable with. Stress makes you gain weight! x

Hope your feeling better, I too feel better with low GL foods. Are you doing the one that's one week low carb -one week med and then one high? There's the one that's an every other day - the Chris Powell one, but don't know how the two compare result wise? Think the low GL and watching calories would be a good plan. x

Back