Google slimming world

I know that most sites aren't secure but lets face it none of us post there full address on any of these sites only town and how many people live in your town. ok they can link pics to town and find your address but what does that get them where you live. they could get that by following you.
as long as you have secure passwords for things and never post information related to them or info you use on bank accounts (which none of us r gonna do) you will be fine.
always make sure your passwords are never anything silly like birthday or childrens names unless they are coded with other numbers letters etc.
I used to work in a shop and amount of people that wouldn't give us there postcode in the shop was unreal. don't think people relised from just there postcode we had nothing on them we would need house number or a name and we had niether.
what I'm trying to say is as long as you are careful with what personal info you post you will be fine.

I think really all of this should be made more public because when you get an internet connection and join these supposed 'private info' sites you aren't warned that google can still pluck your info up. It's all good and well people saying it on the news but not every one watches 3 hours of news a day.

. It's all good and well people saying it on the news but not every one watches 3 hours of news a day.

Tee hee, I'm a bit sad kikikisses, I probably watch 2 hours! All of the 6pm news, local and national and the same at 10pm and I'll put sky news or bbc news 24 on if there's nothing else on. I'm a bit sad like that!!;)

I think really all of this should be made more public because when you get an internet connection and join these supposed 'private info' sites you aren't warned that google can still pluck your info up.

When you sign up to MiniMins, we disclose this in the terms of service.

Anything said on MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum can be found through the usage of services that cache/store/index material for purposes of searching such as a search engine.

If you find something on google about yourself that you dont like, as far as I understand, you can write to them and have it removed. I know somebody who did this once.

When you sign up to MiniMins, we disclose this in the terms of service.

Aye I know Minimins are good with this, it's one of the great things this site is so informative over everything. I feel that Internet Service Providers are the ones who need to dish out the information though.

Also I do like the news a bit much myself I can leave BBC News 24 on most of the day for background noise, it's a great way of learning something new everyday.

Pierce is quite right when he says that we are told very clearly when we sign up to forums how the postings will be used.

It is our responsibility to read and to understand this. The trouble is, we quite often do neither!

We give out little bits of information without too much thought, and for the most part that is fine. This forum is not full of people doing detective work and trying to find out all sorts of things about you (at least I don't think it is!!)

But eventually, these snippets accumulate into something more substantial. For most of us this is harmless and no-one is looking. But just occasionally it could cause trouble.

Everyone is quite entitled to think that I am a bit paranoid and to ignore me - feel free! I've been called worse!

Where is the private members area by the way and how do you register .. is there some kind of criteria for joining? I dont think I can even see it and Ive been a member here for years. :p

Thanks

Avisk with the nightmare stories you hear about theft identity I do think it is prudent for people to be careful these days. We have a cross cut shredder and nothing goes out of our house without it goes through that first then into the recycle bin.

Unscrupulous people will use any means they can to get to their targets. They can sit outside your house in a car and hack into your computer wireless connection if its not protected.

Parnoid .. no, careful .. good for you

There is no secret that this site can be found by google. Most of you possibly found this forum by using google. And its noted on the TOS when you sign up.

Pierce

Sorry to bring this up again but I think it needs it.

Via Google anyone even just knowing your user name can find information about you.

Google is a double edged tool. I find it incredibly helpful for all sorts of information and in particular for bringing me to this site.

After reading what was said here I decided to see if anyone could enter my private breast cancer site and whilst some of my info. came up the site was still secure.

When we become member on this or any other site it is our own responsibility to make sure we fully understand the terms and condition.

Minimins is one of the best and most honest sites I have been involved in, I love their moderation system too. Always with a velvet glove.

I'm interested in how many people are saying you need to read the rules/ small print. I don't do that on most of the big sites I use - to be honest I can't be bothered and perhaps I am mistaken but I assume most other folk are the same. :)

I'm interested in how many people are saying you need to read the rules/ small print. I don't do that on most of the big sites I use - to be honest I can't be bothered and perhaps I am mistaken but I assume most other folk are the same. :)

Hi MargyParker,

We have done many things to improve security on MiniMins.

• We disabled guest and newly registered users access to profiles
  • We created various private forums such as Members Only(50 posts), Gold Members Diaries(1500 posts), Flirt zone(Registered) & Family, Friends & Relationships(Registered)
  • We noticed that people were putting up emails(against our advise) on the public forum which were being scrapped for the purpose of creating spam email lists. We introduced a method of making it such that they have to be revealed example: [email protected]
  • We introduced the profile fields for facebook, twitter and youtube. These buttons/links are not shown to guests or search engines. This helps keeps facebook/youtube/twitter links private. It is up to members to choose to use this or not.
  • We have various security notices up around the site particularly in "News Please Read"
  • We ask members to sometimes remove photos or alert them that such photos are public and that they may not want to leave them up...
  • Members and Moderators are vigilant in reporting posts that they feel have too much information addresses, phone numbers etc.
  • Members have access to a large inbox in order to discuss private matters.
  • As profiles require 50 posts to view, the visitor messages left on profiles are only viewable by members with 50 posts.

There is a tick box when you register agreeing to terms and conditions. Upon checking this tick box is is understood that you have read these rules and conditions.

The rules/terms of service can be found simply by scrolling to the bottom of any page and clicking on "Rules", which will bring you to the "News Please Read" forum. The rules are also inside the "Introductions" forum.

Pierce

I would just like to say that nothing I have said here was meant to be a criticism of how Minimins is run. It is a very well organised forum - one of the best I know.

Me too - Pierce - this isn't a personal vendetta or a crit of anything on this site - just general observations and a bit of surprise that googling 'slimming world' would come up with so much info on the site here. My last post was simply to indicate that I - and I assume many others tick the box without a qualm about not reading the rules. :kissass:

Sorry but if you chose not to read the rules when you join any site I dont see how you can complain then if it turns out youve missed something like this.

I would just like to say that nothing I have said here was meant to be a criticism of how Minimins is run. It is a very well organised forum - one of the best I know.

I do not think there was any implication that you had criticised Minimins.

I read your post as a valid point. I personally would like to thank you. It made me more aware on behalf of my private, secure site. We are all a little careless at times.

Sorry but if you chose not to read the rules when you join any site I dont see how you can complain then if it turns out youve missed something like this.

How I agree with you. It is so easy to tick and run.

I am not holier than though at all but think a lot goes into writing the rules and conditions of any responsible site so therefore should be read.

Back