Great exercise vid for those on VLCD

wannabslim

Gold Member
... I have used Callanetics on and off for the last few years- it is an exercise video but doesnt involve v much aerobic exercise. Its all about lengthening and toning muscles and body strength, and every exercise is purely a stretch. It does get your heart going on a few of them, but its nice and gentle, and your muscles feel great afterwards (altho a bit wobbly straight after!).

I would recommend this to anyone on a VLCD as aerobic exercise burns lots of calories and our bodies may feel weak and we get dizzy afterwards. This one isnt so much about calorie burning as the toning and firming- which personally I think is more important than anything if we dont want to be left with loose skin and no muscles once all the weight has dropped off!

So maybe give it a try- its quite old, from the late 80s i think, but its very good and im sure you can get it on DVD nowadays (altho mine is VHS). Let me know if you try it what you think!

xxx

Last edited:
Wow, that's bought a few memories back...my Mum used to do that years ago when I was little.

Will have to see if she still has it :)

Good comment wannabeslim. I am doing pilates with the same aim really - altho I did it all back to front, I was heavying the gym on SS! I wish I'd found pilates before - it is lengthening and strengthening and also quite relaxing!
Take care,

I really must give something like that ago, don't feel I have the energy for a full work out! :eek:

Also, since being on CD I have had trouble sleeping, although I feel very tired. Perhaps if stuff like this is relaxing it may help that too x x :D

Yes, I remember Callanetics!

I have to say, though, that I personally don't think toning the underlying muscle will help with loose skin following a large weight loss.

I have loose skin. I almost hate it but accept it as part and parcel of having become very overweight in the past.

I exercise regularly, and have for years now. Excess skin seems to be directly related to the amount of weight lost and to the elasticity of one's skin or lack whereof! And - very important - to the age of the person involved, and the number of times weight has been gained, lost, regained etc.

Good muscle tone is essential for optimum health but in my experience it has little or no effect on saggy skin. I would dearly love to have the opportunity to exercise my way out of my problem!

Back