great north run

Donnalou86

Striving for slimness
hey all, I was saying to another girl in my group yesterday that I'd always wanted to do the great north run, and we both decided we'd love to do it together. I love charity events and try to do one every year like walks and bike rides and stuff. But never in my life would I have dreamed that I could do anything as intense as a half marathon. I was way too big and unfit. However now I'm starting to feel that now I might just be able to do it. Even more so when I'm at goal. It's in the summer I think but need to do more research. Do any of you have any experiance in this sort of area as to how much training you need to do and whether it's advisable while I'm still losing and stuff.

I have no idea on anything like this ---- just wanted to say well done on giving it a go and good luck xx

Hiya, I'm currently trying to build up to running my 1st 5K in June and found the info on this site is fantastic - Runner's World UK

They have training plans for all distances and loads of stuff about what to wear, how to eat, how to prepare for races, etc.

I started off not being able to run between 2 lamp posts in our street and am now totally addicted - running is suprisingly fab! :)

Good luck

Monkey x

Thanks for the good wishes and advice, it is daunting thinking of doing something like this after coming from being almost 17 stone and completely unfit

Good on you Donna what a good idea and good luck.

My friend is doing this and she jogs every night shes managed to get up to 4 mile everyother day. It looks hard though

Helloooooooooooooo :wavey:

I talked to my husband about it, he also recommended the runners world website which he used when he was doing it.

I'm also gonna do a bit of cani cross CaniX UK: home of Canicross UK and running with dogs or Cani Cross trail runners which looks hard work, but might as well let the dogs have fun as well!

I need to get some trainers I think, I've got so used to comfy crocs I didn't replace my last pair when they wore out! :rolleyes:

woo hoo! yeah I need to buy some trainers too! Some proper running trainers, it scary thinking about training, fun though! I tried to register on the GNR website but it wouldn't let me, said something about high traffic to the website at the mo

Hi - I did the GNR last year :D Never in a million years thought I'd actually do it..... (I'd signed up before and chickened out!)

I made it to the finish line!! AND I've signed up again this year.
ITs on 5th October so you have 30 weeks to train..... (not that i'm counting you understand! :rolleyes:)

It is such a good day - the crowds are just brilliant - especially when you think you've had it..... running over that finish line really 'made' it for for me - I'd never have attempted it before I lost my weight.

I'm pretty sure the ballot is done now, but you should be able to get a place with one of the charities - they are still emailing about for runners.......

Good luck and hope to see you there :D

I work for asda and we do the tickled pink charity do you think we can get in through tickled pink? Do you know how I'd go about it? Thanks Debbiemac

Hi
If you look at the GNR website there is a list of charities with places available - I would think that you should contact them directly. (My place this year is with Diabetes UK through Cambridge Diet :D)

Great North Run I hope the link works...that should take you to the charity listings!

(it worked YAY!!)

Thanks for all your help Debbiemac! So do you do think it's possible for your average girl to do this, especially one who has come from being heavier. Or is it only for the supefit, I am slightly worried I just won't manage it and will let a charity down

Thanks for all your help Debbiemac! So do you do think it's possible for your average girl to do this, especially one who has come from being heavier. Or is it only for the supefit, I am slightly worried I just won't manage it and will let a charity down

trust me... if i can do it, anybody can!!! Hey, I'm Mrs Average for sure.
Two years ago I lost five stone with Cambridge. I decided to sign up for the run to help me to keep it off :D

don't get me wrong, I wasn't exactly quick, I walked as much as I ran (jogged lol!) but I just did what I could and when i got to the last mile... which takes you down a lovely hill and onto the seafront... I was able to run again thanks to the cheers (and possibly the thought of a hefty drink at the end!!!)

There will be all sorts of people alongside you - I was overtaken by an 80 year old man... twice (I got him later hehehe) and you meet some wonderful (and weird sometimes!) people along the way.

I ran alone last year (My hubby is on his 4th year this year so is way ahead in the 'pack') and with my trusty ipod I just enjoyed the ride :D

I've been promised company this year... just hope I can keep up. My main worry is raising the funds - getting to the finish line I know I can do... asking folk to sponsor me is another matter entirely :eek:

Meanwhile, I started 'training' today.... having not run a step since the race last year... I managed a decent effort at the gym today. IT can only get easier eh!

so are you taining on a treadmill in the gym? That might be a good idea actually as then you can keep track of how far you run

so are you taining on a treadmill in the gym? That might be a good idea actually as then you can keep track of how far you run

I am when i can get there, and while the weather is so crap!! They are good for keeping track of what you have done though. I got myself a Nike + gizmo for my ipod last year as I'd got used to 'checking' myself. Its great when you 'beat' your own best time:D

I get lots of 'hill' practice here mind - in every direction :(, treadmill is nice and flat :rolleyes:

Hey! Good for you doing the Great north run! I'm doing a 10k in july, and recommend a book called Running made Easy. As far as running when you are in abstinence is concerned, it's probably not a great idea if you haven't run before. I cycled during abstinence, but had cycled before so it was ok.

Kate is a personal trainer and a CDC, so if you were to PM her, she may be able to give you better advice than me (I hope she doesn't mind me suggesting that you do this, I'm sure she won't!).

Kate is a personal trainer and a CDC, so if you were to PM her, she may be able to give you better advice than me (I hope she doesn't mind me suggesting that you do this, I'm sure she won't!).

she's also doing the GNR :D
(I'm going to get roller skates and tie myself to her lol!)... not really Kate in case you read this :rolleyes:... I'm running, I'm running.....

Back