Group meeting bother

hexe

Hi all :)

Need to have a little whinge, as I am not happy with the way "my" local SW group has been treated.
Our lovely initial consultant left due to family time - fair play. The new consultant was also very nice, but felt she couldn't manage our group on top of her others. Last w/i we all got a letter stating that they are looking for a new consultant for us and in the meantime we'll be weighed and supported by the area manager, however, our w/i will now change from Tuesday to Wednesday until further notice. Honestly, I am not happy :flamingmad: (understatement). I feel we are being pushed from pillar to post and it's not fair. We are only a small(ish) rural group, but we pay the same money as the members in the big cities, therefore should be receiving the same continuity and support. Rant over :sigh:

At least they are trying to provide an alternative group although the day might not suit everybody. Can't be nice for you but if they can't get anyone to run it at the existing slot what can they do?

Fair one, but changing the day and the time will actually cause me (and not just me) problems with work times and shifts. When I joined up I specifically picked that day to avoid such issues. The other problem is that the next "nearest" group is about 12 miles away, so a change of group may pose other problems. Really feel like dropping out now, which is a shame as I am not far from target, but I am so cross with the whole merry-go-round they've done with our group.

I agree , is there another class you could transfer to? When you don't have continuity in your group , you lose the momentum of the whole slimming world journey,which is no good. xx

Maybe you could run the group?

:) That's an idea
But I work f/t and will go back to university in September, which is going to create a very intense year. However, I really feel let down and I might just drop out and get my friend to weigh me once a week. I do need the pressure of someone else weighing me, as I am too weak. Alternatively I might have a look if there's a group near where I work and attend their weigh-in, just couldn't stay for group anymore.
It's just a shame, as our group got /gets on really well.
Will think about my alternatives over the weekend :(

I agree , is there another class you could transfer to? When you don't have continuity in your group , you lose the momentum of the whole slimming world journey,which is no good. xx

We live in "the sticks" and the next nearest group is about 12 miles from here. However, I might consider that. I just do not want to give up and start piling it all back on. I think it's easier to "treat" our small group (less than 15 members) like that, as we don't generate the cash the huge groups do. But maybe I'm just too negative, as I am upset about it all.

SW can't just find a consultant for your group out of nowhere. Consultants take time to train, and there might not be anyone in your area who wants to be one (especially in rural areas).

They can either try to keep it going the best way they can, or close it down altogether. Not a particularly good set of choices, but there it is.

If you talk to consultants, you will hear that one of the most difficult things is to try to find cover. Hard enough to find someone to cover if they are going on holiday for a week or two, virtually impossible to find anyone prepared to cover for an extended illness, or family problem. I expect the area manager is doing her best.

SW can't just find a consultant for your group out of nowhere. Consultants take time to train, and there might not be anyone in your area who wants to be one (especially in rural areas).

They can either try to keep it going the best way they can, or close it down altogether. Not a particularly good set of choices, but there it is.

If you talk to consultants, you will hear that one of the most difficult things is to try to find cover. Hard enough to find someone to cover if they are going on holiday for a week or two, virtually impossible to find anyone prepared to cover for an extended illness, or family problem. I expect the area manager is doing her best.

Well, I appreciate that. However, the members pay for that service, SW don't offer their support out of the goodness of their hearts. As SW is not a charity, I expect some professionalism with regards to staff supply. Having purchased the 12 week countdown, I will now be out of pocket any way I look at it. The group/day/time I signed up to doesn't exist no more as such. The alternative day offered is inconvenient/impossible to attend. The nearest other group is miles away, therefore I will be out of pocket for fuel and parking, as well as for childminding. And if I don't want to fork out for that, I will have to just pack it in altogether and write off the money I have already paid. I just wonder, how the consultant could sell the countdown to me in good faith, knowing that the group was going to head for this.
I don't wish to argue about this, but that is certainly not the customer service/member support I have been expecting.

Well, I appreciate that. However, the members pay for that service, SW don't offer their support out of the goodness of their hearts. As SW is not a charity, I expect some professionalism with regards to staff supply.

I don't wish to argue about this, but that is certainly not the customer service/member support I have been expecting.

Good point, well made.

Well, I appreciate that. However, the members pay for that service, SW don't offer their support out of the goodness of their hearts. As SW is not a charity, I expect some professionalism with regards to staff supply. Having purchased the 12 week countdown, I will now be out of pocket any way I look at it. The group/day/time I signed up to doesn't exist no more as such. The alternative day offered is inconvenient/impossible to attend. The nearest other group is miles away, therefore I will be out of pocket for fuel and parking, as well as for childminding. And if I don't want to fork out for that, I will have to just pack it in altogether and write off the money I have already paid. I just wonder, how the consultant could sell the countdown to me in good faith, knowing that the group was going to head for this.

And I agree with everything you say.

Except for the fact that SW consultants are not "staff". SW doesn't appoint consultants, they are not staff, they apply for the franchise. And if there isn't anyone who has applied, been trained, and is available in your area, then there just isn't anyone who can replace your consultant at the moment.

You are absolutely right in principle; it just that in practice it is not that easy.

To add to the above, in case anyone is interested, SW has fewer than 300 staff - mostly based at their head office, plus some area managers. Everyone else (around 3,500 consultants, and some team leaders) are all self-employed.

Thats not good. Couldnt all of the members who aren't going to be able to make the new group get together and designate 1 person to weigh you all weekly? Just a thought xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thats not good. Couldnt all of the members who aren't going to be able to make the new group get together and designate 1 person to weigh you all weekly? Just a thought xx

That is a really good idea. Certainly worth considering xx

The only alternative would be to close the group so it seems to me that the manager is doing the best she can for the members.
I suggest that you ring HO if you really can't make another group, they might suspend or refund your countdown. Worth a try.

From recruitment to trained for group takes months so it isn't easy to just stick someone in. I know that doesn't help you, but just for info.

Great solution in my opinion. All troop to the local boots/ tesco etc and get weighed the same place. Or at someone's house/library/pub....

Back