Group Sizes

dreamslim

Silver Member
It's to clarify, I did a search but couldn't find anything relating to this.......

Was just wondering if anyone had a preference with regards to the size of the group?

I recently changed groups due to moving house and having been to school with many people in my new group thought it'd be a nice change. My previous group would weigh approximately 130 people a week and about 40 of them would stay to image therapy. My new group has about 30 or 40 people to weigh and about 20 stay to image therapy.

I hadn't really thought about the size of my group previously but have realised that I actually prefer the smaller group. In my old group you would have to get to class dead on opening time (if not earlier) and then you'd be queuing for about 25 mins (weigh lady once told me that people would turn up 30 mins before the scales opened just to get weighed first). Then, if you were one of the last people to get weighed your image therapy consisted of 'well done, what would you like to lose next week'. I even caught my C looking at her watch once when I was answering the question how had my week gone. Also, after a year there no one except the C knew my name!!!!

My new group is brilliant, less people means less of a pressure on time so it's much more Relaxed and we can chat about recipes and events etc longer. As a result I seem to have my slimming world spark back and after my first week back on track I lost 5lb. Been on track this week and hoping to have another good loss.

Just wondering on others opinions coz I know some people who are members and they prefer bigger groups.

The group I attend has a morning group and an evening group and there is normally about 25 stay to the morning one which I stay to. Some weeks there have been lots more there and I have to say I also prefer it when the numbers are smaller as I think we all get more from it and shy people tend to speak more when there aren't as many staying.

The group that I attend has about 90+ people come through the doors on the early session, and a similar amount if not more at the 7pm sessions. Not having been to a slimming club before, when I started slimming world I was'nt expecting so many people. I would echo what you've said about image therapy usually only about 40-45 people stay for this part of the class, its been less than that lately due to the nice weather we had recently.

We have 4-6 people join nearly every week, but i have to say our slimming world leader is fanastic and I think that helps a lot. I joined our group on 23/06/12 and as of 7/6/12 I've lost 2st 5lbs, I've still got a long way to go but I've set myself a target to lose another 3-4st by Christmas.

My group weighs about 40-50 and around 20 stop to group... We always have a good laugh and there's plenty of time for everyone to have a couple of minutes each to say how we've done. I used to go to a group that was huuuuuge.... Most people barely got to say how their week had gone. I think bigger groups tend to be clicky too.

130 people - good grief - how on earth does 1 C cope with all that lot. Don't think I could attend a group so big.

Aunt Bam said:
The group that I attend has about 90+ people come through the doors on the early session, and a similar amount if not more at the 7pm sessions. Not having been to a slimming club before, when I started slimming world I was'nt expecting so many people. I would echo what you've said about image therapy usually only about 40-45 people stay for this part of the class, its been less than that lately due to the nice weather we had recently.

We have 4-6 people join nearly every week, but i have to say our slimming world leader is fanastic and I think that helps a lot. I joined our group on 23/06/12 and as of 7/6/12 I've lost 2st 5lbs, I've still got a long way to go but I've set myself a target to lose another 3-4st by Christmas.

Congrats!! :)

I really liked the consultant in the old class, she was brilliant to text or phone whenever we wanted I think she was bound by circumstance in the group though. She had a 5.30pm and 7.30pm group on a mon and a 9.30am group on a tues and she's also considering adding in a 3.30pm group on a mon as well. The only one suitable for me was the 5.30 coz I worked in the local area but lived ages away. I couldn't fault my consultant at all.

Congrats on your weight loss so far, that's amazing and I'm glad you have a great consultant too.

clairebrookes said:
My group weighs about 40-50 and around 20 stop to group... We always have a good laugh and there's plenty of time for everyone to have a couple of minutes each to say how we've done. I used to go to a group that was huuuuuge.... Most people barely got to say how their week had gone. I think bigger groups tend to be clicky too.

Yeah this is what I'm finding but i never really realised it until I changed, ya know?

I agree with Claire about there being clicky groups. My Sister Joined our group before me in January 2012 and she made a lot of friends there as shes an out going person and quite chatty when she wants to be:D. When I joined I found the ladies that she talked to never even acknowledge me when they were speaking to her and I was sat in the next seat. Which I found odd but did'nt let it bother me, as my reason for being there was to lose weight.

I'm the complete opposite to my sister(I'm the shy one). It was only when she did'nt go one week and I was there on my own that a man from another group in the area came to support his wife who was training to be a leader came and sat next to me that I had a conversation with anyone else. It was a blessing in disguise as he had lost over 9 stones with slimming world, and for over an hour gave me so much advice and encouragement that evening, this alone has kept me going every since.

After that meeting I found a lot of the other ladies in the group mellow a bit and started to talk to me. I mean they may have been shy as well but most I find now are more relaxed. I now make sure when I'm waiting to be weighed to speak to whoever in front or behind me, if I havent spoken to them before. I've met a few new friends this way and can't wait to meet with them and chat about what we've been up to over the past week.

I have no idea how many weigh in my group but between 25 and 30 stay to image therapy including the teamwho weigh and do the shop/raffle -mostly the same people every week. Most people are very friendly and there's a lovely atmosphere.

Our group is quite big and it varies from week to week as to how many stay, but I do prefer it when its a smaller group staying to image therapy if I'm going to be honest. We tend to all talk a lot more and have more of a laugh if there isn't as many of us there, whereas when its a bigger group I suppose its harder for everyone to talk as a group

I do the pay station at my class, and we usually see 60-70 through each session, with about 20-30 staying to group. I like it this way, as it means everyone gets to have their say, without being interupted/rushed etc.

I think anymore than this and it would probably become quite tedious for everyone involved. I love my group, and always enjoy Image Therapy no matter whether I have lost, gained or had a maintain that week.

Back