Guenevere's Food Diary

Hi hon,
I don't think your being a spoilt brat at all, I hope you don't mind me saying this but I think your mum is being manipulative because she know's she can because she has the funds and you don't. I don't know what kind of relationship you have with her normally but from what you've written it doesn't sound like she respects the fact that although she is giving you some much needed financial assistance - it is YOUR wedding.

My MIL payed for my husband's side of the wedding because he wasn't able to at the time, and she pretty much dictated everything, the venue, the guest list, the catering, music, table decorations - neither hubby or I felt we could disagree with her because she was forking the cost. I even had to wear what she told me because hubby couldn't afford my dress - the run up to and during my wedding was v. stressful because it was all about her and I felt like a bit player at my own wedding In hindsight I wish we had either a) waited to get married until we were better off financially or b) just had a tiny wedding within our means and accepted zero help from her.

Honestly, your wedding day is supposed to be one of the most important and significant days of your life, it's perhaps the one time in a woman's life it can legitimatally be ALL about you (and of course the hubby lol). Given the chance to do it all over again I wouldn't accept a penny from my MIL because my memories of that day are tainted by her demands and antics. Sounds like the power may have gone to your mum's head, so I would graciously decline her offer of financial help and have a smaller wedding that has your stamp all over it.

As for the kitchen, I guess it depends how desperately you want it, if your kitchen is serviceable, and judging by the lovely food you make - it might be, I would again decline graciously and get it re-done once you can afford to.

Sorry for writing an essay, and I hope I haven't offended you by anything I've said.

Thanks scatty,
Your message really helped me! My kitchen is teeny tiny, but it's grand!
My relationship with mum is difficult, but it's not dire. I think it could become dire if we continue down the road we're going. She's going to explode and say I'm denying her something by paying for my own wedding! But I'll still value her input etc! She doesn't get I'd love her more if she never gave me a penny but respected my decisions!
It's going to be tough telling her, but it'll be ok. My bf has 2 good jobs and I will find a job soon, and I'm back to college in Sept, it'll be ok.

In other news , just home from my WEIGH IN and I'm down 2.5 lb, can you believe it considering my major overdraft???? :bliss:

I think last week was an inaccurate reading tbh! I was wearing a heavy jumper and needed to pee!

Love Guen

Yay well done you! keep up the good work.x

I hope you manage to get things sorted with your mum, some boundries in close relationships can sometimes be a good thing. This way you get the wedding you want and she doesn't have any of the worry or the blame - she can just relax and be a proud mother of the bride.
x

Day 21, 3 weeks!

I'd just like to say it again to make sure everyone sees!

I lost 2.5lbs this week!

Breakfast was a kiwi, a banana, some grapes and two slices of toast with butter 7 Points

I had lunch in the Brown Thomas cafe with my cousin, I had a goats cheese, puy lentil, betroot and rocket salad! So yum! 10 Points

Dinner was one of my favourites, a falafal, pitta and veg meze plate with Philadelphia light, garlic and herb (1/2 tsp) 5 Points

I have 2 points left, so I'll probably have a small popcorn and 2 pink n whites 2 Points

Used all my points for today, I'm gonna have to get used to only having 23.

Love Guen

your dinners always sound lush, wish i could cook!

well done on the loss :D

Day 22 - I wonder when I'll stop counting the days?

Thanks for the comment about my dinners beccabottle, I really love cooking, happiest in the kitchen and I adore food! I sometimes wish I'd been born in my granny's generation and was expected to stay at home and spend four hours a day cooking, but that said, the grass is always greener...

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs on toast with butter (really gross thing happened during my first batch of scrambled eggs and the yolk was really bloody and it turned pink, so I threw it out!) 5 Points

Lunch: was my dear ol granny's 86th Birthday today, so 5 of us went for a lunch in a nice hotel. I was feeling quite strong and not tempted so I made sensible choices but I felt conspicous and they kept offering me some of their salads/chips/desserts/chocolates. Aaaagh! They all had 3 courses and coffee, I just had main and coffee. I had a "organic wholewheat penne in a tomato, courgette and garlic sauce" 5.5 Points which v annoyingly came with two HUGE slices of fried bread that weren't mentioned on the menu! I left them! I had a skinny cappuccino with two cubes of sugar 2.5 Points. I really enjoyed my meal and didn't feel hungry or deprived, the coffee was SO good!

Dinner was actually the same as yesterday (which I hate doing) but c'est la vie. 5 Points

Snacks: Pink n White and a WW Rich Toffee Bar. 2 Points

Points eaten: 20/23
Points saved this week to date: 3

I had a good day today, Granny was happy even tho her best friend and sister both died and were buried last week.
I was talking to the bank and our mortgage application is looking really good! It might all be wrapped up in a few weeks!
I also went over to visit my mother tonight and we talked, and no one conceeded much, but I feel much more optimistic that first contact has been made and this kitchen/wedding thing will not end my relationship with her.

Love Guen

Glad you had a good day yesterday Sweetie!!! And I am so proud of your Food Choices in the Restaraunt!!!! Go You!!! I think I'd of had 2 of the 3 courses, but then I am being a total pig at the mo so I am literally getting in bed at 8-9pm so I'm not tempted to eat all evening! lol
And I just spotted your weightloss for this week... I'm so pleased for you!!! You really deserved that loss!! 2.5lbs, Yay!!!!
xxx

Oh Guen!
I just had a proper catch up on your Diary and I'm so sorry to hear what an awful time you are having with your Mum. I can sort of understand what you are going through. My Mum is quite wealthy and has promised to help me numerous times but always changes her mind, changes the rules or just point blank lets me down. Yet she helps my Brothers financially ALL the time! Her arguement is that I can stand on my own 2 feet, but the boys (or men in general) need help!!! Yeah right Mother! lol
Here's an example, My Boyf and I were borrowing a small amount of money from her last year so we could buy our dream house. We needed a 30% deposit and only had 25% so she offered to lend us the other 5% and we agreed we would pay it back in full and with interest within a year. We got to the day before we exchanged contracts and my Mum suddenly decided she couldn't help us. She gave us no explanation, We ended up losing the house and were £2000 out of pocket( cos of surveys, solicitors fees etc). I've also rented from her in the past and it never worked out.
Everything i have now, I've paid for myself and would never accept her offers of help again. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my Mum to bits and we do have a great relationship, but I just feel that family and finances often don't mix!

I think Scatty gave you Fantastic advice and I would say the same as her. Your wedding is YOUR day. It's a once in a life time thing and it should be everything YOU want it to be. (Not someone elses dream day!) I really hope you can sort it out hun!!!

Oh yeah and those 5 of your 5 from M&S sound LUSH, I really hope my Marks has them!
And once again Welldone on this weeks loss!!!!
xxx

Hey you,

hope you have had a good weekend and ready for the week ahead.

x

I went so far off track I can't even see the track! My lowest point was saturday night when I was leaning against the fridge eating some extra lemon tart filling I had made out of a ramkin....although...Monday afternoon when I wasn't able to carry the weight of the slice of christmas cake I was eating with one hand and almost dropped the plate was pretty close too.

Luckily I dragged myself to my meeting yesterday, got weighed...1lb up...surprisingly good after the three days previous! I am hopefully now back on track!

Feel like a bit of a disaster, but hopefully a few good days will perk me back up...away this weekend tho...is there no hope for me?

Love Guen

Yes there is hope for you! Just be really good this week and then you can have a few treats when your away and it shouldn't effect you too much, your allowed to have a few days off anyways lol or thats what I tell myself when I'm going ridiculously over my points haha. where are you away to?

thanks Clairey! I'm just going a few miles down the road to Wicklow, we're staying a couple of nights in the place we are probably having our wedding reception.

I just found out that our mortgage application was rejected, and we have no idea why. Everything was looking and sounding really good and then they ran the credit checks and refused us. Neither of us thought we had a credit history, because we've never borrowed, let alone failed to pay back borrowings.

I am absolutely devastated.

Last edited:
Monday

Breakfast: Sandwich, with salsa, onion and pepper. 3 Points

Lunch: Popcorn, 3 WW lemon cakes, pink n white x3 7 Points

Dinner: Cottage pie and wine 6 Points

Snacks: Popcorn, wine, WW rich toffee bars 7 Points

Total: 23/23

Tuesday:

Breakfast: 1/4 lemon cake and a pink n white while crying my eyes out over the mortgage rejection letter. 8.5 Points

Words cannot express how not proud of myself I am right now.

Lunch: Low fat crisps, and 3 mini kitkats 7 Points

Dinner: vegetable chow mein and chips from takeaway 11 Points
Wine- less than 100ml 1 Point
1 Mini kitkats 2 Points.

29.5/23 alright I went over by a few points, but I could have been a lot worse and I don't feel guilty.

Last edited:
Hi hon,

I am sorry your not feeling too good at the moment, one thing to consider with the mortgage application is that if you've never borrowed any money (personal loans,credit cards) that can count against you too, get in touch with a credit reference agency to have a look at your credit report and it will give you details of any information held on your credit report.

Mine and hubby's were rejected for a mortgage 3 times before we got a successful offer, it is terribly disheartening but you will get there. Don't beat yourself up about the WW, your under a lot of stress at the moment so your bound to have lapses here and there, if it's any consolation I have been the same.

massive hugs, be kind to yourself (don't mean that in a patronising way)
x

Hi scatty,
thanks hun, we got our credit reports today, Paul's is blank, and mine just has a blip when I was 2 days late with €100 for a credit card bill (locked myself out of online banking and got stuck doing a difficult extraction and couldn't get to bank to transfer funds). Paul rang the bank n they said it was because I wasn't working and we could reapply for a parental control mortgage....something to think about...

Thursday (I got the days wrong on my last two entrys)

Breakfast: Soya porridge with dried fruit and a glass of oragne juice 6.5 Points

Dinner: ~Curry Banquet
1.5 Portions Pilau Rice (homemade)
1 Naan Bread (Sainsburys)
best curry I ever 'made', with tofu, red pepper and spinach, embarrisingly it was made with schwartz curry powder, and tin of tomatoes and a tbsp of mango chutney. 12 Points

Tea: a decaffinated cappuccino, and two WW rich toffee bars. 4.5 Points

I was STARVING before my dinner and made up for it with the giant portion I ate...was so tasty though...I'm trying my hand at vegan recipes, as I am very close to just taking the plunge and becoming an 'enviormental vegan'. I'm just using up the last of the milk/eggs/chocolate and will probably go vegan on Monday.

Lots of love

Guen

Back