Guess what I was told last week?

That's good to know- I don't do well with too much fibre- bread, cereal and dried fruit give me really bad tummy ache so knowing I don't have to worry too much about my HEX B is great. I love my HEX A though and could easily go over my allowance.

I had a feeling they weren't essential as their name says 'extra'. If it was mandatory part of the plan then I would expect them to have a different name? I love my daily 30g of full fat cheddar :)

I need my bread .. its essential :p:p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Well this makes me happy! I have no problem using my HEB as I have porridge or the Special K granola almost every morning, or a cereal bar if I'm running out the door. But forget my HEA half the time and usually quickly down a glass of chocolate coconut milk at the end of the day whether I wanted it or not. I don't get a massive amount of calcium elsewhere though, so probably good to continue this most days. Just won't feel bad if I skip it from time to time.

I think this is a bit like slimming world saying you don't have to have third super free. They're trying to make it as easy as possible. I do think it could slow losses though. It would depend on the individual's diet generally, but plenty of research has linked dairy to more fat excretion and high calcium to faster weight loss. The Bs don't only provide fibre but B vitamins that many of us are deficient in. Fibre is known to increase satiety, promote regular bowel movements and slow the extraction of sugars from food. B vitamins support a healthy metabolism. I suppose if people were eating plenty of other sources of these nutrients, they'd be fine, but many of us don't. I had to be dairy free for 18 months once for medical reasons. While I did eat plenty of calcium, I had to really think about it and eat way more greens, nuts and beans than normal. Many of us with slow losses have found it improve when we've put back in part of the plan like missing healthy extras, at least 5 syns and third super free.

I reckon approach this this advice with caution and see how it effects individual losses. Don't forget, you can have hummus, nuts and olive oil as healthy extras too

I didn't realise they were extras, I thought you had to have them for the plan to work. They always say 3 steps. free foods, syns and healthy extras????

I didn't realise they were extras, I thought you had to have them for the plan to work. They always say 3 steps. free foods, syns and healthy extras????

Same here!!

Slimming world changes their advice and plan quite frequently! I first started SW about 15 years ago and went back (hopefully for the last time) last week and was amazed to hear the same advice. With the caveat that you need to have eaten in a healthy and balanced way, making sure you have had all your nutrient, including fibre, during the day.

My goodness, suggesting such a thing would have had you hung drawn and quartered not so long ago.

I wonder, with all the changes they make, if people actually lose any better / faster / consistently than they did on previous versions?

The main reason I still like following the red and green plan is because I get extra Healthy Extras! And I can't wait to get to target so that I may be able to get another Healthy extra!! lol
I do, however, think this is good in the way that if you really are full up, you don't feel like you have to eat yet another healthy extra in order to follow the plan correctly.

Funnily enough, I started this thread in 2011 after being told the same thing by my consultant
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/231513-new-sw-rules.html

The main reason I still like following the red and green plan is because I get extra Healthy Extras! And I can't wait to get to target so that I may be able to get another Healthy extra!! lol
I do, however, think this is good in the way that if you really are full up, you don't feel like you have to eat yet another healthy extra in order to follow the plan correctly.

Funnily enough, I started this thread in 2011 after being told the same thing by my consultant
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/231513-new-sw-rules.html

I totally agree! Love having a green day (never do red as can't do without my carbs!) so I get double :)

I totally agree! Love having a green day (never do red as can't do without my carbs!) so I get double :)

I think I need to read my book again - I have always done green days in the past and this time going back the consultant persuaded me to try EE. Whilst doing it soon became apparent that it was working out exactly the same as green but with more emphasis on the super free and only one HE. But the syns are different, aren't they?

To be honest I can't see the point of EE if one is vegetarian or vegan - the only difference from Green will be fewer healthy extras!

To be honest I can't see the point of EE if one is vegetarian or vegan - the only difference from Green will be fewer healthy extras!

Thanks, the consultant was saying but it's so easy and admitted she didn't know the other plans at all. I didn't see the point but as SW is disguised CC with a bit of healthiness thrown in it does mean fewer calories - you know, what SW will never admit to. A consultant did once acknowledge this to me, and used the 20 calories per syn rule of thumb but she was the only one.

I suppose I kind of assumed that the extra calories from the meat/fish one could eat on EE would be more or less equivalent to the calories from the extra HE's on green. I know what you mean about consultants: even mine, who is all round fantastic, is a bit hazy on red/green plans.

I suppose I kind of assumed that the extra calories from the meat/fish one could eat on EE would be more or less equivalent to the calories from the extra HE's on green. I know what you mean about consultants: even mine, who is all round fantastic, is a bit hazy on red/green plans.

I hadn't thought of that, your thoughts on extra calories from meat and fish could well be right. I think the newly trained ones know very little bout the earlier plans, SW don't promote them at all.

Agree that on the whole veggies should stick to Green. I only eat fish on some days, and veggie the rest of the time. When I first started out doing just EE I felt very tired all the time, but switching to Green for the extra Hexes helped. My consultant hadn't been at all aware of this so now when new veggies join I make sure to tell them.

Back