Gum abscess / Gum disease

Karen1972

Gold Member
I'm soooo unhappy today :(

I have been suffering with a gum abscess for about a week, it got worse when i was in Blackpool for the weekend and i've just come home from the dentist.

He's drained some of the pus (altho it's still a huge lump so don't think he did a great job!), and i have strong antibiotics to take for five days.

He says that i have very bad gum disease and that it's not often he sees cases as bad as mine!!! Although my teeth were very clean and plaque free, he says my immune system is attacking my gum tissue and bones/roots in my gums! I almost burst out crying!!! I'll be very lucky to keep the tooth that is near the abscess he reckons!!

What the hell can i do??? Does anyone have any experience of bad gum disease?? I'm worrying that i'll lose all my teeth at some point if it carries on like this :( :( :(

He said that he could refer me to the dental hospital but there was a very long waiting list, and maybe better to go private although it can't be treated there. I need to find a periodontist and sharpish!! All he could recommend was thorough cleaning but how the hell am i supposed to clean inside my gums?????????

Has anyone gone through this before??

Yes i have, no abcess but i have very little bone left holding some of my teeth in place. I went to the dentist years ago and told him my gums kept bleeding and was told that i was brushing too thoroughly and to use a softer brush. so i did. last year i went to a new dentist who told me that although my teeth are fine my gums and bones are not. Ive since spent close to £1000 on peridontal treatment but nothing has changed, my teeth are shifting around and are no longer nice and straight and ive had to have 2 removed recently cos they had got so loose that they were hurting. Ive cried many a time over this cos unless you ae very rich and have around £25000 to spend on having implants then the likely hood is that ill end up with dentures. So no good news im afraid, i feel cheated all those years of brushing and care and i end up with a silent infection that is going to cost me my teeth.

(((((hugs)))) for you hun

I had bad gum diease I have a dental phoba and never went to a dentist for 10 years,but I went to a hygynist and she made me cry as she cleaned around my inflammed gums and since then I try to look after my teeth.(but I know its not that why I had gum probs i think it happens to some unlucky people)?
Go to your GP explain what your dentist said...........cry lay it on how bad he said it was and see if they will help you he may beable to get you an earlie appoinment with the hospital.It annoys me you work pay your taxes and they leave you like this full of pain :mad:
The antibiotics will work but they need to see you as you may get another one.
Please let us know how you get on as I know you must be so fed up with it
xxc

Yes i have, no abcess but i have very little bone left holding some of my teeth in place. I went to the dentist years ago and told him my gums kept bleeding and was told that i was brushing too thoroughly and to use a softer brush. so i did. last year i went to a new dentist who told me that although my teeth are fine my gums and bones are not. Ive since spent close to £1000 on peridontal treatment but nothing has changed, my teeth are shifting around and are no longer nice and straight and ive had to have 2 removed recently cos they had got so loose that they were hurting. Ive cried many a time over this cos unless you ae very rich and have around £25000 to spend on having implants then the likely hood is that ill end up with dentures. So no good news im afraid, i feel cheated all those years of brushing and care and i end up with a silent infection that is going to cost me my teeth.

Hi Happe

Thanks for your honesty - what a nightmare!!!

Well i think i'd find the 25K for the implants if it gets that bad - can't be dealing with false teeth at my age!! I have crooked front teeth so the implants may be a good idea, at least they'll be straight hey?!?!?!

I've just been looking up the disease on the internet, there's all sorts of surgery they can do to replace the lost bone so i'm living in hope that my teeth will be OK. I've got no loose teeth at the mo although i have a very deep pocket around the area of my abscess (around 5mm).

I'll do whatever it takes even if it means i won't then be able to afford my tummy tuck and breast lift :(

Thanks again for your comments.

Luv,

(((((hugs)))) for you hun

I had bad gum diease I have a dental phoba and never went to a dentist for 10 years,but I went to a hygynist and she made me cry as she cleaned around my inflammed gums and since then I try to look after my teeth.(but I know its not that why I had gum probs i think it happens to some unlucky people)?
Go to your GP explain what your dentist said...........cry lay it on how bad he said it was and see if they will help you he may beable to get you an earlie appoinment with the hospital.It annoys me you work pay your taxes and they leave you like this full of pain :mad:
The antibiotics will work but they need to see you as you may get another one.
Please let us know how you get on as I know you must be so fed up with it
xxc

Hi hun,

Thanks for the hugs, i need them, am feeling v sorry for myself!!!

Looks like i'm gonna have to go private i'm afraid but it does annoy me with all the tax we pay too!!!

I'm slightly phobic of the dentist too, in fact my whole body was shaking when he was prodding my gum.... and those whirring noises reall freak me out!!!

How's your first week gone so far hun?

Luv,

oh karen honey, you will be fine. you are a determined woman and nothing will stop you no matter what!!

the antibiotics will take the pain away soon.

sending you big hugs

love

Gen xx

oh karen honey, you will be fine. you are a determined woman and nothing will stop you no matter what!!

the antibiotics will take the pain away soon.

sending you big hugs

love

Gen xx

Thanks gorgeous girl!! I shoulda been a man the way i react to pain and illness!!!!! My new fella been promising me loads of hugs and kisses at the weekend to take my blues away! Had to make him kiss me very gently on Sunday due to the pain - and he was very considerate fair play!! Don't think i'd want to kiss anyone with a mouth abscess though - yukkety yuk! :eek:

Thanks gorgeous girl!! I shoulda been a man the way i react to pain and illness!!!!! My new fella been promising me loads of hugs and kisses at the weekend to take my blues away! Had to make him kiss me very gently on Sunday due to the pain - and he was very considerate fair play!! Don't think i'd want to kiss anyone with a mouth abscess though - yukkety yuk! :eek:

it must be love if he is kissing ya with an abscess ha ha ha

i'm serious i have a really nice feeling about this one :D :D :D

Gen xx

Hmmm knowing my track record it will be another flash in the pan haha!! Looking forward to the weekend though, even though i'll be completely sober!!!!!

Oh Karen - darling - so sorry to hear about your poor mouth!! So it was an abcess after all! Bugger!

I'm with you, though - find the cash from somewhere then you'll have filmstar teeth and can show your dazzling smile off!

Erm - new fella? What have I missed???

Hiya Issy - yep it sure was a bloody abscess - altho was in the gum not the tooth which is why it wasn't that painful - just very very big!!!!

Well against all the odds i met a nice guy in Blackpool and he's coming down to see me this weekend!! Been texting me all day - read my dating thread for the full story!!

Luv,

Aw poor Karen. If you ever get on the pink site, you will see that my life revolves around the diet, my job and my teeth :(

I'm constantly on antibiotics, and the agony toothache can cause..........

I have an appointment with the hospital on the 20th November:( I have a really bad reactions to hospitals. For some reason, I have this reflex that makes me go absent without leave:eek: It's probably written on my notes now "on arrival, tie this patient up!"

I've lost a lot of my back teeth now, but thankfully still holding on strong to my front ones. So annoying when you've always taken care of them eh. Didn't even get my first filling until I was 26.

So, I can sympathise. Sorry...got no answers though :(

Hi hun,

Thanks for the hugs, i need them, am feeling v sorry for myself!!!

Looks like i'm gonna have to go private i'm afraid but it does annoy me with all the tax we pay too!!!

I'm slightly phobic of the dentist too, in fact my whole body was shaking when he was prodding my gum.... and those whirring noises reall freak me out!!!

How's your first week gone so far hun?

Luv,

Hi Karen
How are you today?
Was thinking of you last night..........and I had a dream about the dentist????LOL
Its horrible isnt having a dental phoba as I cant eat 2-3 days before I go as Im on the loo with nerves..........Im the same as you shaking in the chair and crying sometimes?HORRID dentist when I was small thats was done it!
Have you made an appointment to see your GP?I wish the country would sort out our flipping dental problem,thats why so many people have teeth and gum problems.
I think its very unfair that you have to pay loads of money to have the treatment your entilted to,do you know if you weren't working would you get it free?
I feel you'll be ok I know how hard it is but try not to get to stressed as it can make it worse(saying that I had a gum boil for 2 years before i'd go to the dentist :eek: )
My thoughts are with you and hoping it gets sorted very soon.Please let me know xx
XX((HUGS))
luv Cx
P.S thanks for asking week one was tough but its nearly done just cant look at the big picture as Im finding it hard :eek:
xxc

Hi there

Well what a nightmare i'm having!!

Took two of the antibiotics yesterday and last night started to get this horrible itch on my boobs, took my bra off, thought nothing of it and went to bed. Woke up this morning with a horrid rash all across my chest and i've never itched so much in my life!!! Had a bath, put some savlon on the rash and read the label in the tablet box.

It said to see doctor if a rash develops and to stop taking the tabs immediately.

Called Dentist and they said i needed to go to GP.

Called GP they said i needed to go back to Dentist.

After much arguing with GP receptionist she booked me an emergency appt with the doctor. Waited ages to see him and he wouldn't change my antibiotics and just told me to go back to the Dentist.

Called Dentist, and basically insisted on going in straight away, so off i went and sat in the waiting room for ages and finally got to see a dentist who then prescribed me penicillin. This isn't as effective as the flagyl but i'm hoping it's gonna sort me out!

What a palava hey? I'm feeling well p*ssed off i can tell ya.

I guess the positive thing is that i can drink with penicillin so when my new fella comes to visit me at the weekend i can have a couple of glasses of vino!

Oh babe what a horried time you are having.
Hope you start to feel beter soon and it does not take to long to get it sorted
Sending {{{HUGS HUGS}}}}}

Hey issy,

Thanks for your concern hun, it's sooooo much better - the swelling has gone right down! Penicllin seems to be doing the trick!

Back