Gunpowd3r and my partner's weight loss diary

gunpowd3r

Hiya Everyone

So here goes with my attempt at a diary but this time for two lol as i will give my OH account of his journey too:D

Well we started yesterday after a long time deciding if it was right for us, we did SW last year for around 6 months and lost very little which put my OH off as he has a lot of weight to loose and like a typical guy wants to see it all drop off now, so he lost interest and went back to snacking/eating the way we have been.

We had a holiday inbetween then it was meals out for work do's/friends etc and then chrimbo lol so the diet was put on hold while we ate lots to try to get it out of our system.

Finally the time seemed right for Feb so we plunged in ordered the stuff and away we go.:cool:

Yesterday went fine.
My Oh is doing 5 packs a day with veg.
I am doing 4 with veg.

We both found by around 4-5pm we were hungry and getting tummy grumbles but a cup of tea or bottle of water sorted it.

The spag bol was delicious i didn't think it smelt the best a bit smokey which i am not keen on but when cooked with some broccoli and garlic mushrooms it was lovely and filling.

So yesterday i had:

9.30 am--crispy choc shake--nice but i added too much water(400ml)
12.30 pm-- 1/2 a choc trufa bar sliced(i was going shopping and didn't want temptation).
3.00pm-- strawberry shake with 400ml water--lovely!
7.30pm--spag bol,broccoli,garlic mushrooms---yummy yum!!
9.30pm-- other 1/2 of choc bar with a cuppa tea.
I managed about 2 litres of water, 2 cans of coke zero and a few cups of tea with my milk allowance, i simply couldn't drink anymore.

OH

10.30am-- caramel shake
2pm-- choc trufa bar
4pm-- strawberry shake(which he said was lovely too lol).
7.30pm-- spag bol,broccoli,garlic mushrooms.
9pm--i had cooked some chicken with chilli and garlic and he nibbled a tiny bit as he was craving snacks bad, i cut it up into finger sized pieces and it did the trick.
11pm-- he managed to drink his last shake--hazelnut which is absoloutly gorgeous!!!!! and i only have 2 boo hoo:sigh:

So got up today and we both felt ok bit of a mild headache but nothing that bad.

I am about to have my first shake, a red berry one as OH had his an hour ago and text me to say it was really really nice.

Here we go with day 2:rolleyes:

Oh i was wondering what you sort of lose the first day as we will weigh ourselves everyday to keep on track, was shocked this morning but then i said it will be water but still we were both down 5-6lb's surely that cannot be right! I am never ever down in the mornings no matter what diet i am on.

YAY! Glad you decided to start a diary!

Firstly, congratulations to you both for decided to a VLCD - having someone to diet with will make it so much easier! I live with my OH who is a carb bin!!! A skinny carb bin at that, which is more annoying!

I've seen people lose up to 12lbs in their first week, but I lost 7lbs, which I am more than happy with! Because your bodies are going into ketosis your first weight loss will be mostly water because you're not having the carbs anymore. But a loss is a loss and its really motivational.

I was, as you know, doing the Cambridge Diet (aka the wallpaper paste diet! lol!) and my CDC told me the losses will average out at about a stone a month, so thats what I'm going on.

I am also a serial weigher - I cant be parted from my scales and I weigh myself in the morning once I'm ready for work, and at night after I've had my dinner! lol!

I did have a day off last Saturday, so I think I've now only started losing since then, my scales showed a 3lbs loss this morning from my WI on Saturday. But I dont take it as gospel until I officially weigh myself on Saturday morning!

Good luck with it, its certainly worth it if you can stick at it. I dont know why its taken me so long to discover this diet, but I'm sold! And a constant weekly weight loss is so motivational for me to keep on track!

Look forward to hearing how you two get on :D

Lol Claire thank you for your information much appreciated,and your support you sound very motivational lol :) i would love a stone a month as it would mean i can end the diet sooner and plan re-feeding, however i know my OH will be on it longer so might be hard for him to sit with me eating but then again he had some testing times today at work, had a full fat coffee with sugar bought for him(he said thank you but no thank you) and ppl beside him had bacon cobs,tasty looking sarnies and beans on toast(oh yum) he sat there with his shake bless him....only had 2 so far as we are saving our bars for a night time treat later :)

Counting down the mins to dinner i can tell you, i can almost taste that broccoli now!! I seen you are allowed white cabbage on the diet sheet....yes yes yes i adore white cabbage i bet it will be lovely with a mouthful of spag bol!!

Ok well i have had a horrible dry mouth all day feels like my tongue is coated in fluff(yuk) and i have a horrid metallic meaty taste in my mouth that nothing shifts....is this the beginning of ketosis? Apart from that nothing only hunger for something tasty.

Stomach's been fine, hit 3pm and i was famished so had a coke zero and some water.....

Making dinner soon i simply cannot wait to put food in my mouth lol as the shakes are fine but having proper solids makes this diet much more bearable!! :D

Hehe! Yup, that horrible mouth coating is a great sign! I have breath freshner to help with that, or sugar free mints. I dont chew gum because it just makes me hungry!

And I had spag bol yesterday with shredded cabbage and lettuce! It was pretty tasty! I added garlic and some other bits and bobs to it before i zapped it tho! I LOVE garlic!

Tonight I just had cottage pie with broccoli and it was surprisingly delicious. Didnt feel at all like diet food!

And I can completely sympathise with your other half. Last month at my work was hectic and I worked loads of overtime. I work in a small office with 5 other people beside me (theres 13 people in the entire company) who were all eating: 2 tins of chocolates, subways, domino's, KFC's, McDonalds, chinese, indian, crisps.... you name it, over the course of about a week, they ate it! My cambridge toffee bar was sad in comparison to what the rest of them were shoveling in beside me! lol!

So I completely and utterly feel his pain!

Ok well had the red fruit/summerfruit shake yummy yummy it's like the strawberry only a bit more berry flavoured really nice with about 300ml of water nice and thick and creamy.

We both had this for breakfast.

Had a crispy choc for lunch, today i put around 250ml of water and it was much much better, thick and i really enjoyed it. Had this around 2pm then felt very hungry from about 3pm i felt starved lol had a coke zero and some bouillon which was lovely.OH had caramel shake for lunch around 2pm.

My OH was feeling peckish too after all the food at work lol he chewed some gum then came home and had a bouillon too.

Had dinner about 5.30pm--spag bol, garlic steamed mushrooms,broccoli for me green pepper for OH and some chicken breast done with chillies(100g for OH about 50g for me) i didn't manage all my broccoli but thoroughly enjoyed the whole meal!!!

Had our bars about 30 mins ago and i have been drinking loads of dr pepper zero as it is gorgeous lol.

OH said he might have his 5th pack or might not gonna see how he feels.

My mouth is driving me mad i am continually sipping water,coke zero ,tea etc to get rid of the dry metallic meaty taste yuk, OH mouth is normal....got wind and tummy grumbles but tht is about it.

Roll on day 3...craved a little today but it soon passed am hoping to be as strong willed tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone else with their diets tomorrow :)

I am reading through all the other diaries now very inspirational and helpful to see how other ppl cope !!!!

hi gunpowd3r

lovely to see you both doing so well :) I have just popped on to keep myself going through what is left of day one!

my head is banging and I would happily swap it for the fuzzy mouth! I wont be saying that in a couple of days as dh is likely to complain about my dog breath :eek:

I'm another Dr pepper fan here but I have to make sure I have a glass of water on the go at the same time. If I don't I will soon get bored with drinking water and for me its a slippery slope into not drinking enough.

on a happier note I managed to avoid cake at work today :D

Thats it, I'm going to Tesco after work for Dr Pepper Zero!

Awww Hooked it's gonna get easier and that headache is gonna go and you will be flying.

I actually read a tip on a vlcd type forum yesterday that said if the headache is bad and nothing helps eat a little plain chicken breast as the pure protein helps with the headache.

I can't comment on headaches as ours is just like i have a tight hat round my head but not banging(i keep thinking we are going to get it any day now and it's gonna be a cracker)!! But i am generally not a headachy person more a ibs bloated uncomfortable tummy person lol

Keep strong and try drinking coke zero or yummy dr pepper zero it seriously helps.

Well done on avoiding cake!!! Big feat so tempting when you are used to just grabbing and putting whatever in your mouth, it is really hard to say no and walk away :)

I am finding watching my usual programmes i would normally have a biccy with quite hard and i am a cheese addict so could eat cheesy crisps or a big cheese sandwhich but where would it get me!!! Right back to the bleeding start.

Keep strong today and keep occupied. :D

Claire----defo get some Dr pepper zero it is seriously nice a bit sweeter than coke zero i found but a really nice taste, it's not on bleeding offer in Tesco though boohoo.

Just done a Ketostix test on me and OH and we both showing the dark pink one second from last so thank god the dry fluffy mouth isn't for nothing lol.

OH had 4 packs yesterday, we has a SW friend over he has lost 9lbs in 5 weeks but he is an overeater and tried vlcd's before and could not survive more than 2 days. He was starving though so when it was bar time around 8.30pm i said to him try a choc trufa he was worried one would make him eat the whole drawer we have lol but after about 10 mins he said it actually satisfied his hunger, it did us too was scrumptious and was followed by dr pepper zero lol, didnt go to bed till 1.30am but it was some feat for my OH to last from 8.30 -1.30am on the bar so proud of him.:cool:

Not long had our first shakes, wasn't overly hungry for it but had the grumbles so i knew my tum was asking for grub.

Had crispy choc which i am loving i especially love the thick powdery bits that get caught in the lid(making it in a bottle-too used to my old habits lol:rolleyes::rolleyes:)OH isn't keen he prefers the strawb,caramel,red fruit and the gorgoeus hazelnut(which i am saving lol).;)

OH weighed in this morning and was a whopping 8lbs down it did put a smile on his face whether it's all water or not both of us have never lost that much in 2 weeks let alone 2 full days!!!

We are gonna run out of choc trufa bars by about Monday:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and i wont be ordering till wed lol so am praying the lemon bars do the job.

Think my next order will be a loads of choccy trufa bars, hazelnut and red fruit shakes to make sure we don't run out.

So far so good on with day 3 :party0011::party0011::party0011:

Sounds like it's going brilliantly for you both, you'll shed the pounds in no time :)

Hooked - re headaches, when I got them with the Atkins flu I had some chicken stock in hot water and that really seemed to help - no idea why.

Hello! Lucky you having support, hope you get each other to goal! the lemon bars are lovely. Every time I have a bar I think 'thats it, this is my fave' then the next day have a different one and change my mind! I find slicing them thin is the only way I can have them, last sooooo much longer!

Good Morning everyone :D

Day 3 was so hard yesterday oh my....we weighed OH was chuffed, i was 6lb's down which is still amazing for me lol as it usually takes walking the dog for an hour a day and eating minimal for me to lose 3lbs in a week!!! :rolleyes:

It started of brill doing the usual but i think the fact that it has hit home we can't go to the cupboard/vending machine/shops and buy a bar of choc or bag of crisps has got us down:sigh:

The mornings are fine, we pee'd on the ketostix were overjoyed lmao at the deep pinky colour and carried on with the day, OH text to say he was starving at 2pm and that a few in his office had chips!!
Arggg and not just any chips his fave :( homemade chips with cheese oooooh....i text him frantically lol as was worried by the way he was texting he was gonna get a plate, he ate his choc bar and he said it helped big time! Phew:rolleyes:

But as usual come 3pm we both were feeling down and craving anything that was high in fat and naughty naughty, didn't help several ppl went to the vending maching and had McCoys in the office with him, it kinda got to him that he couldn't just go grab a bag and get stuck in......we managed through it by drinking coke/dr pepper zero and chewing gum lol.

By dinner time we were fine(happened this way the past few days) had yummy chilli with extra chilli powder, garlic mushrooms, a bit of salad with the ceasar spray(jesus rename it stinky feet spray it smells rank but tastes lovely lol:cool::cool::cool::cool:).
I also did a green pepper in the oven and stuffed his chilli in it as one of his fave meals form the indian comes like that, he also had chicken breast. Kept to within the allowance though.

Felt fine after that and like we could own this diet lol:cool:

I made a cinnamon oat cookie:confused: well it was odd strangly moreish taste but dry texture.

Managed the rest of the night not bothered one bit, it is so strange just seems to be aroun 3-6pm we feel so down about not snacking:confused: am hoping it passes soon.

Today onwards and downwards(with the weight lol). OH showing deep pink on ketostix(git) i am showing minimal but i must be using all my ketones up cause i still feel dizzy/lightheaded and had a yukky mouth.;)

Last 3 nights i have gone to bed tired(wow) and gone out like a light and i am a terrible sleeper....had to get up to pee several times lol in fact thats all i do all day:D:D:D

Now to crack on with day 4 think a crispy vanilla is in order:rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone today:D

Good Morning to you too - well done on your achievements so far. It will get easier:D and you and OH will get into a routine.

I find that the good weight losses in the early stages are a great motivator. Good luck.

Wow 6lbs in three days is fantastic Gunpowd3r, and thank you so much for all your honesty in your posts - really gives me a great idea of what I can expect! :)

Gunpowd3r it does get easier re craving what you can't have. I found that it wasn't really hunger it was habit and simply the fact that if others had it I would too. The birthday sweets and cakes are lasting longer at work since my friend and I have been on a VLCD :)

I find that I don't really think about it now as I've got into the habit of not having anything. You'll get used to it too. Want is not the same as need and nothing tastes as good as being slim feels :)

As soon as the weight comes off, you'll find that it's easier and not crave as much as time goes on. You have to do what works for you, if you feel low between 3-6pm, keep the bar for around then, and maybe have a coke/dr pepper zero on hand. I find this helps me when others are snacking etc. I was really bad for snacking before this diet, particularly evening munching! But don't do it now, and the only thing I am now craving, is normal meals, so not snacky crap that I'd want to graze on like before. The cravings prob won't completely grow, I've had ups and downs and if you read my diary today you will see that.

Do whats right for you, make the diet work for you, from a seemingly rigid plan, it can be quite flexible x

Thanks Tara, BG, LadyFelsham and Frannie :D

It helps reading the other diaries as you are all different in your losses,approach and way you cope with cravings etc....

Have just finished 2 of your diaries BG can't find a start one when you began?:confused:

Anyway this is day 5 woooo:cool: almost at a close.

Day 4 seemed to be a small turnaround, not so many cravings for both of us and not so much hunger, OH did 4 packs wooo but....he cannot live without the 100g of protein(chicken breast) each night with evening meal so far it isn't harming losses he weighed in this morning at 9lb's off and has survived since 6.30am this morning on 2 shakes and has'nt felt hungry or craved as bad, is still dark pink on ketostix and freezing so defo in ketosis lol

Yesterday i had my usual 4 packs and struggled as usual with the water(so hard when ketosis makes everything have a yuk mettalic type taste). It got to around 3pm and i thought i would take the dog out for a walk to break the craving habit , it worked although to be honest i am craving toast, cheese, cheese sarnie and cheese toastie so bad.....i won't have any i am determined there is none in and i won't buy any:devilangel:

Today i had a crispy vanilla shake for ahem brekkie(at 1pm) then nothing till dinner at 5.30pm WOW i didn't have a tummy grumble or anything was happy to wait for my dinner:rolleyes: Struggled with water had 3 bottles then a redbush tea, dr pepper zero x 2 glasses and a normal tea.

Gonna have a tea with my milk allowance and my bar around 8pm so got to fit some water in before then:jelous: lol it has to be done though.

Had no water flavourings or bouillon for 2 days.

OH is saving his bar for 8pm also he might get away with 4 packs again today but then he has the meal with veg and chicken but then he is losing ok(i feel if i cut the chicken out he would not cope, as it seems to keep him sane all day the thought of the chicken with the meal lol).

Dinner tonight was spag bol with garlic mushrooms added in, roasted pepper and shallots with broccoli for me and salad for OH( i struggled half way through and left some broccoli)!!;)

My losses so far are 7lbs(only weighing once a day in morning after first pee).

I will have had 3 packs:

Crispy vanilla -1pm
spag bol, mushrooms,broccoli,tiny bit of salad and 100g chicken breast -5.30pm
lemon:eek::) bar --8pm

OH
caramel shake --9am
strawberry shake --1pm
spag bol, n veg 100g chicken breast.
Not sure which bar --8pm

I will carry on with reading the diaries here , i just cannot express how motivational they are!!! Taking me ages to get through them all though lol stop writing for a bit to i catch up hehe.;);)

Good luck to everyone:D

I didn't have a starting diary. When I first went on S&S there was no section for it here (there were about 4 of us doing it I think. Phoenix and I are still around). Then we got a section of our own under the VLCD section and I started to do a diary after I came back from my first break when I had a holiday. Now we have a proper grown up sub forum :).

The lemon bar is nice (well I think so). I like it the same as the tuffa bar but it's very different in taste and texture. Hope you like it. If your OH can't cope without the protein perhaps he should do 4 packs and the protein as a regular thing? I think that 5 packs plus protein and veggies would be getting up towards a LCD level rather than a VLCD and although he would probably still loose the losses may not be as good overall. Although annoyingly men always lose loads more than us women! We had a guy on here before Xmas and he lost crazy amounts in a short space of time but took a break and hasn't been seen since.

Oh, and cheese toasties are the work of the devil by the way ;)

Ahhh that explains me not being able to find your start diary lol, still very interesting reading, you have done so well on your journey!!! I cannot believe how much you have lost, i only hope my OH is as strong and does the same. :)

We have a planned break for his birthday as it's good friday and then be off easter weekend(easter dinner will be steak and veg as low carb as possible).Then on easter monday right back into it lol.

Yea i was thinking of dropping him down to 4 a day as the plan was 5 a day till ketosis and he could manage on 4, well i say i was thinking of dropping him down he has actually dropped himself down lol, and agrees the 5th pack should be dropped as he is coping on 4.So i guess we will see how it goes with him he has no TOTM to worry about like us women lol :D

God just downed 2x 250ml glasses of water actually easier to drink from a glass than a bottle hmmmm

Back