Gym question - slow start

Nicki1313

Hi everyone

I have just joined a gym and shown how to use the bike, treadmill and cross trainer ( I have at least 4 stone to lose). Gym instructor put me down for 10 mins, 10 mins and 5 mins BUT I can only manage 6,3 and 1... Feeling pretty useless.. Has anyone else started slow like this but been able to build it up? My legs seem to be letting me down and I am recovering from a prolapsed lower disc so a bit scared of doing damage - my pulse already up to 163 well above range recommended.

This is payback for bunking off games at school all those years ago!:(

Any inspirational stories most welcome as it is taking me longer to get changed for the gym as opposed to the time spent on the equipment....

Yep, I started off very slowly too - as I've mentioned before, I tend to do classes as I don't push myself enough just following what the tainer said.

But like you... I could only manage a couple of mins on each before I was fit to collapse :eek:

It will get better, honest :)

Put it this way, this week you took a massive step and joined the gym you did ten minutes more than you did last week thats good. You can and will build up dont push yourself you will end up injuring yourself or giving up. Try for 12 mins next time build up slowly you WILL do it. I can now do an hour in the gym 7 weeks ago I walked out after 20 mins really tired I built up to that hour in five minute increments each visit. Also if i dont feel like the hour I go i do 20 mins half n hour and leave its beyter than nowt. You should be proud your now a gym bunny its going to get easier. Also if you might find breaking up ur eorkout helps. I bike for 10 mins treadmill for 10 mins Xtrainer for 5 then bike for 10 treadmill for ten then Xtrainer again i do this cos i hate the X trainer it really tires me out. I use the recumbent bikes so though im pedalling its a sit down, if ur gym has them try them they are a lot beter than the others. Also if you need to stop then stop go get a drink, hide in the locker room for five mins you might get a second wind. Either way keep up the good work you can do it xx

Suddenly I don't feel so alone - thanks for the positive responses, I will be thinking of you all when I go back to the gym tomorrow....

I must admit I absolutely hated P E at school. I think it was mainly a case of being forced to do it.

I go to the gym 3 times a week now.

Keep it up you will feel the benefit.

Back