Hair Help?????????????????????????

spea

Ok, so I was fully aware that being on a vlcd for a long period of time might result in some hair loss, and I stupidly thought I will be fine, my hair is thick enough, no one will notice that its slightly thinner (seriously my hair was that thick I had to wear 5 hair bands to hold it up on a pony tail). Any way, my hair is dropping out rapidly, I have probably lost about 3/4 of the thickness (and down to one hair band), I know that after a while your hair gets to resting state i.e stops growing and falls out which is the stage I am at, but I am now really freaking out, it seems to be getting worse and I mean I cant even touch my hair without loosing at least 20 strands (you can imagine what its like to brush or wash cant you). I am currently re feeding to come off the diet, so in theory my hair should stop falling out as I am eating a varied diet, eating more calories (currently eating 1200), I am also taking vitamins to ensure I get my rda, but is this enough? I will moving to one sachet and the rest real food tomorrow and increasing the calorie intake again in a bid to stop the hair. Does anyone know how long it will take to come out of the resting state and stop falling out or even grow back?

Sorry if I have scared anyone there, it doesn't happen to everyone, please dont panic.

Hi spea

This was my biggest worry when considering going on VLCD but I spoke to a friend who done it before.

I think (I could be wrong) but during the diet your body holds on to all your hair as its trying to keep the body warm. When you come off the diet or start to increase your calorie intake your body takes a sigh of relief and starts to shed what it would have previously. From what she told me it didn't last very long and it wasn't noticeable to others and then started to get thicker again.

Not sure if that's much help, maybe you could consider taking a supplement that helps hair? I've seen a few people say that on here but not sure which ones you can use.

Most of all, try not to panic! It will pass.

x

Thank you for replying skinnicow, I am trying not to think about it but its one of those things you just cant cover up, well you can with a hat, but i do not look good in any sort of hat ha ha, fingers crossed it stops very soon, another few weeks of this and im sure i will have a bald patch lol. i will keep doing what i am doing then for a mo and see how it goes, perhaps someone on here knows of any supplements suitable to take that will will help me on my way.....

The last time I lost alot of weight on a VLCD this happened to me. I ended up having to have my hair cut from half way down my back to a bob as it was so noticeable. It did however, all grow back although I couldn't really specify a timescale on this. Although it seemed terrible at the time it hasn't stopped me doing a VLCD again.
At the time I started taking special hair vitamins which did help a bit.
I really hope it starts growing back soon for you as I know how distressing it can be.

I read before that someone doing this diet took selenium and it helped with the hair loss issue.

Back