Hair Loss on CD SS

FatAsh

Hi Everyone, I haven't written on here for a long time but I am still doing CD SS, I have lost 49lb in 3 months :D and am feeling great but my hair is falling out in chunks and it's starting to worry me, I have read that this is a side effect of VLCD's but didn't realise it was this bad, has anyone suffered from this and does your hair grow back once you start to introduce food ?

When I started CD I didn't realise I was going to lose more than just weight !!!! :eek:

Have you tried taking multi vitamins to counteract?

Fantastic weight loss by the way!!!!!

Hi Ash.....look at this thread

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/18563-has-anyone-had-hair-loss-ss.html

I bought the shampoo from Lush that was recommended, it makes your hair really thick with lots of volume.

I believe that any hair loss stops when you finish cd and I have read that it comes back so you should be ok. Take a read at the thead, it's 2 pages long and very good.

well done on the weight loss :D

mine is falling out in clumps too, seriously my hair is so thin, will it grow back ?
sorry for hijaking your thread
nat x

Hi, thanks for your replys - Sophia-Jo that link is very interesting and it looks like it will grow back in time, I'm lucky I started off with very thick hair but it's not very thick anymore and I'm just hoping it will return when I start eating properly.

Ninababes what vitamins can you recommend ???

I lost a lot of hair when I was ssing for 168 days on Lipotrim. My hair dresser said at the time it was falling out that she could see a lot of new growth near the scalp.

I did not take any extra vitamins, other than my packs.

It was very long and I did get it cut into a very short bob. It has now grown down past my shoulders again, thick and healthy as before.

Back on 790 CD plan no sign as yet of any hair loss.

As yet I have not heard of anyone who's hair has not grown back.

I do know that some people who had very fine hair did take a suplement. Here is a couple of links below to some of the threads about hair loss and what other members have found.

Me too.. Lost a little after I had been on the plan around the 6 and 7 stone mark..
but again a few months off the plan its growing back..
I kinda prefer mine slightly thinner as mine was ridiculously thick before.. However, Im sure it will thicken up again, just to annoy me! argh!

What we have to remember is hair goes through three stages..

The life cycle of a hair is divided into three phases.
The actively growing (Anagen) phase, the transitional (Catagen) phase, and the resting (Telogen) phase.

During the anagen phase, protein and keratin are continuously made. It is during this phase that the hair shaft is manufactured and pushed upward to its natural length. A hair's anagen, or growth phase, lasts from 3 to 5 years, and represents what is occurring to about 90% of the hair on your head at any given time.

In the catagen, or transitional phase, there are chemical and structural changes in the hair follicle.
The hair stops growing, and remains in this phase for only two to three weeks before moving into the next phase.

Finally, hair enters the telogen phase where it basically just sits on your head for about 3 months. Then, it falls out only to be replaced by the next budding hair in the anagen phase which begins to grow from the same hair follicle. These replacement hairs get finer and thinner as a person ages. In most settings of baldness, the hair follicle simply shuts down and refuses to put out more hair to replace the ones that have fallen out.

So basically if any of you lose any hair due to drastic weight loss, you have to remember that the hair is also going through all of these cycles and as soon as the body resumes its normal state, It will continue its cycle and regrow...

It's worth remembering a person normally sheds up to 100 hairs per day. Hair growth occurs at about an inch per month, faster when it's hot (summer) and slower when it's cold (winter). Growing older also reduces the hair growth, as we mature it slows down slightly.

Things that can influence hair growth include not only hormones, but nutrition, vitamins, emotional states, and many unknown factors, within 3 months of resuming a healthy eating plan I'm sure you will see a major improvement...

And it's also worth remembering long hair always looks worse when its in the brush or bath tub, being longer and wrapped up it kind of looks far more than there is..
Shorter hair will shed without the person really noticing at all...

Sassy x

Cake n eat it...

I have to say since I started Management - I have had a lot of hair loss. Everyone in my group has suffered with it to some extent. I have started taking Superior hair vitamins and it does seem to have slowed down a bit. Fortunately I had pretty thick hair to start with. All I can say is its much nicer wearing size 12 clothes with slightly thinner hair than being a size 18/20 with a full mane!

http://www.minimins.com/lighter-life-forum/11952-hair-loss-whats-story.html

Start dreamer wrote this...
http://www.minimins.com/lighter-life-forum/11952-hair-loss-whats-story.html

I lost lots of hair too. It didn't start to fall out until I was near the end of the diet, and still continued to do so as I came up the plans. I've been maintaining for a couple of months and I've noticed the past couple of weeks that it seems to have stopped falling out:)

Tracey
x

I have noticed over a week now that i can run my hand through my hair and i do get more hair out than usal , Fatash how long have you noticed this , your hair coming out in chunks ?

I lost my hair last yr when i was doing LL, But i can assure you that it does grow back when you get back to food. In fact i cut mine shorter when i was on LL so it looked less thin if you see what i mean, and then when it grew back it was in better condition thanit had ever been. I am back on CD now and have no doubt that i will lose my hair once i hit the 3 st lost again but i am not worried cos i know that it will come back in time. I really don't think you need to take extra Vitamins cos you have every thing you need in the CD paks and sometimes it can be more harmful to overdose on the vits!!! Just stick with it, you WILL NOT go bald and it will deffo come back........Promise!!!

Hope this helps,

Love Busy XX

Thanks Busy , but its slim fast at the moe , have done CD but till get some more pennies will be on slim fast just 3 shakes aday . But yes you can over load on vits , been thinking that too . Did your hair come out enough for people to notice ?

I have had trouble with hair loss for a while now not due to ssing
I went to my GP and was told I was JUST being vain and that everyone looses hair
so I had a chat to my hairdresser and he suggested I take kelp tablets (seaweed) which you can pick up from local health shop for about £3 and im really impressed with the results the only trouble now is my roots come through so fast lol
I hope this is helpful to someone but please check this wont knock you from your ketosis id hate ruin anyone's hard work

From a male point of view - I shave my head with a razor, but I have noticed that it is taking longer to grow and doesn't seem as thick as it was.

I am sure it is linked to CD.

I have had trouble with hair loss for a while now not due to ssing
I went to my GP and was told I was JUST being vain and that everyone looses hair
so I had a chat to my hairdresser and he suggested I take kelp tablets (seaweed) which you can pick up from local health shop for about £3 and im really impressed with the results the only trouble now is my roots come through so fast lol
I hope this is helpful to someone but please check this wont knock you from your ketosis id hate ruin anyone's hard work

They used to sell this at the health store i used to work at and it is meant to be really good. However i never got it myself because a friend of a friend used it and said that as well as it helping the hair on her head grow, it also made the hair on her body grow more.

I would like to use kelp myself because i want my hair to grow longer but i am a bit worried about it growing longer all over my body.

Have you experienced this Tracey??

I would definatley reccommend the shampoo bar from Lush. I think Sophia-Jo has posted the link already. I used the bar after my hair fell out due to medication side effects and it made my hair really thick (i was hoping it would help my hair grow longer but it didnt).

I wouldn't worry to much about the hair loss though, i think it will start to grow back once you are eating again. You can also get vitamins to help with hair growth too. I think the Hair, Nails and Skin Formula tablets from Holland and Barrett are really good. But i would just wait untill you are eating normally again before you take any vitamins, because you are already getting all the vits and mins you need from your CD packs.

xx :)

I was shocked when my hair started coming out every time I brushed or washed it when on LL about week 12 last year. Wish I'd been warned to expect it, I thought it was my PCOS getting worse. Dr said it was 'molting' (made me feel like a cat or dog lol) to do with low calories and when I started eating again it thickened up in no time. Evening Primrose oil is meant to be good for your hair but I dunno whether it makes much difference. Heard 5000mg was recommended but that seemed a ridiculously high dose to me.

Thanks Busy , but its slim fast at the moe , have done CD but till get some more pennies will be on slim fast just 3 shakes aday . But yes you can over load on vits , been thinking that too . Did your hair come out enough for people to notice ?

Where are you getting your slim fast from?? I do believe that TESCO have an offer on at the moment. I get my shopping on line, it's soooooooo much easier and better for me, (I spend less as I don't pile a trolley full of junk food, and I don't have to trapes around the shops with a trolley that never goes the way i want it to go) anyway, I'm it's either buy one get one free or half price...you'll just have to check your local store, maybe give them a call before you go there.

xx sj xx

Hi Sophia jo
Thank-you for the info but the offer finished on the 14 today i think , but there is a site on here called madaboutbargain it will tell you all the main food shop offers , i got a few tins i think it will last me say another 6 days and then i'm going to try to move back to CD . Did you do the toning tables ? how are you getting on , i think by reading your posts you are postive to the end girl ! woohoo hehe

Back