Hair loss

xSinead

Silver Member
As everyone here will know i've had major hair loss problems!!

At around 9/10 weeks is when i started to notice clumps of hair literally coming out in hair brushes and my hands when in the shower!
First i tried some hair supplements from boots, didn't work.

Went to my GP and he perscribed me ferrous gluconate tablets, 2 a day, 300mg each which is quite alot, at first i kinda thought they were working,
but i've almost finished the second pot of them and its really really not helping :( My scalp feels sooo thin, i don't have any actual bald patches, but the minute i do i don't know what i'll do!

PLEASE anyone with any advise, i'll take it!! Will i get bald patches???

I can't speak from experience as far as the diet goes, only been on it a week LOL!
BUT When I was pregnant with my son I started losing my hair at around 2 months,
by the time he was born my hair was very fine and brittle,
But when it grew in again I can honestly say my hair has never been in better condition, never felt so soft and lovely!
I never got any bald patches or anything,
It just came out in brushes and when i washed it, like you,
I hope it will be okay and you wont get any patces!!xxx

I am having the same problem and i have been told that pure coconut oil is very good for this.. put a little on and rub it in your scalp leave it over night and wash it out do it a few times a week i only just started doing this but alot of people including my mom had very bad hair loss while pregnant and they done this and said it worked wonders... none of the pills have been working for me either so this is worth a shot i guess.

Thanks Yolande, where can i get this from? I'll buy some asap!!
Dreading if i get patches :(

I bought mine from The vit-shop.co.uk if ja go on the site and type in pure liquid coconut oil you wil see bottles of it there for like £3... its worth a try cos my hair loss is really bad now im terrified of bald patches too =S Alot of people have had success with this so lets hope hey. They did say took a few weeks to notice the difference tho.

I'm gonna get mine from superdrug or tesco in the morning!
My friend who was pregnant said it worked for her, but we're not pregnant.. and i'm another 4/5 months away from my goal, so my hair loss is more than likely to just get worse. My CDC has suggested a week or two going up a step, but i don't even think that would help!

I'll try the coconut oil.

I have been off plan for a month due to a family death and my hair loss did not improve with eating so doubt it will help but dunno. I think its the same basis as for losing hair wile pregnant your hormones are crazy like on this diet im so desperate i will try anything right now dont wana lose all this weight only to be left practically bald =S

hey Sinead
Just reading about your hair issues hun , mines feeling realy thin too at the moment my Dr has just done blood tests to see if I need Iron tablets too.
Im a hairdresser so lemme just explain whats happening to you , every single hair on your head goes thru the same cycle (grows and rests over and over till it then drops out and a new hair sprouts and the cycle starts again) but each hair is doing it independant to the others-theyr all at diff stages...cos were on so few calories low protein and low iron (hair is made of protein) our bodys are holding protein and iron back for other bodily needs and no re-growth is occuring...so were not actualy losing any more hair than usual ( we all lose 150-200 hairs every day)
Hair grows at a rate of roughly 1/2 inch per month so if your Iron tablets are working, all you will have by now is new fuzz on your scalp...it will only be short so you wont notice it much yet.
All massaging coconut oil (or massaging anything else) into your scalp will do is stimulate your oil glands.
When we start consuming more calories again our hair will grow back normaly again , but with the rate of growth it wont be realy noticable for a good few months.
I would just stick with the tablets your Dr gave you hun , they will be working but you just cant realy tell yet...I know as a women its a fecking big deal innit the thought of bald patches Im totaly freaked by it too!
x

Thanks Mo-Jo, your advise is completely different to my CDC's, you say it'll take months for it to grow back get thicker etc,
my CDC has assured me that within weeks at most after coming off plan my hair will be glossy and thicker than before.
Not quite sure what i beleive.
My doctor didn't give me blood tests, as iron tablets are available to everyone over the counter, i just asked for them on perscription.

I'm going to use the coconut oil, along with my iron tablets & hair supplements and hope for the best.

My CDC said i'll be at goal by november, and only need to do another 2 months on sole source before i could then move up the steps to reach my goal :)

Feeling more positive today.

I lost a lot of hair when I was on Lighter Life. It was as I was reaching goal so I did come off the plan a few weeks early because I assumed it was my body's way of telling me to.

It took a while to grow back, but it DID seem to grow back better. It's thicker, curlier and pretty much one of my best features (not that it has much in the way of competition!).

I know how scary it is, but it is temporary x

hair doesnt just sprout out of your head 6 inch long and glossy sweetie it has to grow. Im thinking your CDC is just telling you what you want to hear cos she wants your money to keep coming in, but hey hoe good luck

I think she's just telling me what lots of other cambridge dieters have also told me. But hay ho, thanks anyway.

You won't go bald, but yes, your hair will thin dramatically.

How long do you intend to follow the plan for? You have done fantastically well, I have read some of your threads and am struck by your positivity. However, maybe worth considering a more conventional weight loss method in a stone or two's time as you approach goal?

And yes, bear in mind that your CDC, no matter how lovely, wants your cash... she has a vested interest here.

As you can see from the left, I am following CWP too, with around 10lbs to go until 10 stone 'something.' I am hopeful that, in total, I will have spent around 4/5 weeks SS... I am reluctant to do any more as worry about the long term effects of such a diet.

Coconut oil sadly won't do anything as any action you take on the 'outside' does not relate to what is going on on the inside.

Consider taking folic acid - your folate levels may be low.

I will be on the plan until november when i reach my goal :)

Hiya,

You can get the coconut oil from Holland ana Barretts and it really does help. I use a mixture called hair mayonaise which has all the nutrients you need and really helops me out. You can buy it from any afro carobean shop. Leave it in damp hair for at least 30 mins before washing out.

Organics by Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise 426 g on eBay!

hey Sinead
Just reading about your hair issues hun , mines feeling realy thin too at the moment my Dr has just done blood tests to see if I need Iron tablets too.
Im a hairdresser so lemme just explain whats happening to you , every single hair on your head goes thru the same cycle (grows and rests over and over till it then drops out and a new hair sprouts and the cycle starts again) but each hair is doing it independant to the others-theyr all at diff stages...cos were on so few calories low protein and low iron (hair is made of protein) our bodys are holding protein and iron back for other bodily needs and no re-growth is occuring...so were not actualy losing any more hair than usual ( we all lose 150-200 hairs every day)
Hair grows at a rate of roughly 1/2 inch per month so if your Iron tablets are working, all you will have by now is new fuzz on your scalp...it will only be short so you wont notice it much yet.
All massaging coconut oil (or massaging anything else) into your scalp will do is stimulate your oil glands.
When we start consuming more calories again our hair will grow back normaly again , but with the rate of growth it wont be realy noticable for a good few months.
I would just stick with the tablets your Dr gave you hun , they will be working but you just cant realy tell yet...I know as a women its a fecking big deal innit the thought of bald patches Im totaly freaked by it too!
x

From my experience this is more truthful that what it appears some consultants have been saying. I did CD for 6 months and 4 months in my hair started to fall out dramatically - not patches just an huge about thinner. It still carried on once I started eating again. About 6 months after the noticeable hair loss started we (me and my hairdresser) started to see regrowth coming through (a year ago)- it was easiest to see on my fringe area. The "oldest" regrowth is now about 1- 1 1/2 inches long and curly - curly - my hair has always been dead straight - never needed to use tongs etc. Its been a long year and I was really worried about it but my hairdresser kept reassuring me and doing haircuts to hide how thin it was getting (went from having a thick straight shoulder length bob to having shorter layered hair - just long enough to tuck behind my ears - real shock for me!!, but no one noticed how thin it was unless I pointed it out.

It would have been worth it if I hadn't put weight back on again, so now I am back to redo the weight loss - and have no doubts that my hair will fall out again (hopefully the new curly stuff)...but it will be worth it - and it will grow again - straight of course!!.

The coconut oil is amazing :)

I agree only been using it just over a week and my hair is feeling and looking the best it has in ages just thinking how good its gona be after a couple months using it =D

Yolande said:
I bought mine from The vit-shop.co.uk if ja go on the site and type in pure liquid coconut oil you wil see bottles of it there for like £3... its worth a try cos my hair loss is really bad now im terrified of bald patches too =S Alot of people have had success with this so lets hope hey. They did say took a few weeks to notice the difference tho.

Hey which coconut oil was it there are loads xxx

Back