Hair Loss

well i heard that we lose on average a 100 hairs a day naturally :S not sure to what extent its true! is it really bad? maybe u shud ask at the pharmacy there might be a vitamin supplement or sumthn ur allowed to take particularly for hair? xxx

well i heard that we lose on average a 100 hairs a day naturally :S not sure to what extent its true! is it really bad? maybe u shud ask at the pharmacy there might be a vitamin supplement or sumthn ur allowed to take particularly for hair? xxx

my hair is quite thick so i doubt I'm gonna go bald..... but I dunno. there nothing a can do to stop it cos basically the diet stops ur hair growing, then wen ur hair starts growing again it pushes out the old growth....I just wondering if this happens for every hair follicle or only a percentage...

Hi,

Try not to worry about your hair loss. I found it a bit scary when it happened to me, I lost hair for about 8-10 weeks. I think it looks worse than it is, because it is not noticeable that I have less hair, but I think cos you see a lot coming out all in one go it looks a bit freaky.

Im sure you will be fine also. Be prepared for it to last a couple of months, and do not fret!

x

I lost a lot but it wasnt noticeable it was just a lot on the pillow and it shower. Dont worry you wont go bald like the 3rd member of right said fred :) you might notice a bit of thinning but nothing noticeable! I have short hair as well and no one noticed. You can take iron tablets if it gets really bad but ask chemist first xxxx

Hi I lost a lot of hair on CD but didnt go bald and it does grow back .Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but it does grow back and I would do the same diet again as I know when you have a lot of weight to lose prolonged diet on ww sw lt cd ect can have the same efect and few months of bad hair days is better that the health risks cause by my weight problems xx

maybe cutting ur hair shorter would stop it falling as much? whenever i grow my hair long it starts falling more..

what about taking those vitamins that help hair and nails? That might be a possibility.

i think whoevers got a pharmacy appointment next shud ask :D i got my weigh in on saturday so ill ask then! xx

thanks all. I think I should be ok, just glad to have the advice of ppl who been thru it :) I've very thick hair so I'm hoping that will stand me in good stead. fingers crossed :)

Just finished day one of my restart, have a blinding headache but outherwise i'm fit as a fiddle, so far so good :)

If you are taking all of your packs you will be getting enough vitamins, minerals etc., to keep healthy.

With all weight loss that is over a long period of time hair loss can be a side effect for some, not all. It is not permanent. It is similar to the way you lose hair after you have a baby.

By the time you have hair loss your new hair has already started growing back.

In my own case I think it grows back better than ever as my hair is now in much better condition that it was first time around.

With regard to hair loss this is a known side effect of very low calorie dieting. The reason this happens is that the hair root is one of the most active sites in the body in terms of new cells being produced. Hair grows in three stages. The very active phase (anagen) when new hair cells in the hair root are being produced and the hair shaft is growing. Then there is a resting phase (catagen) when there is little cell division in the hair root and the hair shaft is not growing. The base of the hair disconnects from the root and just rests in the follicle. Then there is the telogen phase when the hair sheds because the hair root has gone back into the anagen phase ie growing again, the cycle is starting again,. with the new hair pushing out the old. There are millions of hair follicles in the body. At any one time most follicles are in anagen around 3% are in catagen and around 11-15% are in telogen. Because anagen takes up a lot of energy when energy balance ie calories are reduced, anagen is the preferred process for the body to shut down. Therefore more follicles go from anagen into catagen than would normally be the case about 18-20% although the exact proportion is different for everyone. When energy intake eventually increases these same follicles go from catagen into telogen and the hair in them is shed. This means that for anyone who is on a diet there are more hairs being shed than normal but this usually remains unnoticeable. However in about 4% of people the proportion of follicles in telogen exceeds 30% and this is when the hair loss becomes noticeable (the condition is called effluvium) it is more likely to be experienced by people who have experienced hair shedding in the past eg following a pregnancy, stress etc. Once energy intake is increased the proportion of follicles in the different phases goes back to normal and hair growth proceeds as normal. Hair shedding due to calorie restriction is a temporary condition and it indicates the growth of new hair. If there is reduced energy supply our bodies will react to prioritise vital functions, how this happens is a very individual response but unfortunately for some people it will present with hair shedding which can be very distressing. While on a very low calorie diet no two people will be identical as to when hair starts to shed and when new growth will commence it will depend on the individual. As a natural adaptive response there is not much that can be done to resolve the problem other than waiting for the cycle to complete, which we cannot be definitive about as the amount of hair that is the resting phase at any one time for an individual will be unknown.
Once calorie intake is increased, hair will start to grow in the follicle, for this process to complete this can take 3 months or more exactly how long this will take to complete we are unable to say, and we do appreciate that it is a very distressing situation but unfortunately it can be a known side effect of very low calorie dieting, irrespective of the particular diet programme chosen.

I found the above post on this thread.
http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/47248-hair-loss.html#post701242

If you use the Search button the blue bar above you will find more posts.

Love Mini xxx

Back