Half marathon training

Great news Summer!!

I haven't been running for a week now as full of cold so keeping my finfers crossed it goes soon so I can get on with training!!

coachnomad said:
Great news Summer!!

I haven't been running for a week now as full of cold so keeping my finfers crossed it goes soon so I can get on with training!!

Snap! Am gutted that I've not been able to do anything for the last week or so! I failed due to my cold, then had two days off last week and was stuck in bed with food poisoning!! Am back on good form today, and off today and tomorrow, so going for a short run later and planning on a long run tomorrow morning(on the treadmill) :) x

Well I was all dressed and ready to go running, but knew I didn't feel 100%, the dreaded cold is back!!! So I decided not to, I'm back at work 2moro, so can't be poorly!
However I have signed myself up for the London 10k in July. I'm well excited, looking forward to running past all the sights. Need to sort a hotel though, as it's a few hours away for me.

Oooh London 10k would be fab! Too far for me though :(

I got out today despite too much morgan spiced last night. Did a 3.10 miler with a massive hill in the middle. The hill is the one in the Plymouth Half and I HATE it so why I chose to run over there i'll never know, the mind of a runner hey?! lol

Well I am feeling pretty fed up. I have pain in my knee and calf, so no running for me. I have not been able to run more than 1.5 miles before the pain kicks in, so going to have to rest it. I have a suspicion it may be shin splints :-(
I am a bit concerned about Silverstone now. My training was quite tight, as I need to do a lot of outdoor running still. This injury could really set my training back :-(
I did 60 mins on my bike tonight, but knee still twinged. I am going to do some x-training for a few days, then see if it improves.

I'd take a week off completly and dose yourself up on ibuprofen as it could be inflamation in the knee. I've had this before and it took me 3weeks to fully feel no more twinges. I still get the occassional twinge now but its nothing an ice pack after exercise can't sort. But defo, take a complete break. It wont do you any harm. It'll be more mentally tough than physically for you. And also, get yourself to the doc pretty quick and get them to look at it :)

It's really important folks that you invest in a GOOD pair of running trainers.
I made a shocking mistake in running a half marathon last June in cheapish trainers from Brantanos and the soles did not offer my joints any protection whatsoever from the constant pounding of the tarmac.

The next day, I had inflammation known as "Runner's Knee" and it took 6 weeks before I could comfortably run again.

As you can imagine, relying on that to boost my diet plan, my progress took a real hit.

Hate for it to happen to someone else, get yourself down to a decent sports shop.

JJB are actually good as in most their major stores they track the way in which you run as the way in which you touch your heel down can determine what type of sole best suits you.

If you're going to run a lot, I really recommend you look after your joints :)

Yup, I did the same which caused my runners knee. Mine werent cheapos they were asics and around £80 but they were a 'neutral' trainer where as I run overpronated.

I'd 100% reccomend anyone who runs to get yourself gait tested and get the correct trainer :D x

Thanks guys.
I only bought proper running shoes a few months ago, after gait analysis. Think I have done about 100 miles in them, so they should still be ok.
I am wondering if it is because I am moving back to outside running? My last proper run was my first outside run for a few months. Was wondering if it was worth getting a more cushioned trainer for outside?
Then again I did do a 10 mile run between Xmas and new year, maybe pushed myself too much?
Either way it's going to be a killer not running, but I know I must do it. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone :wavey: Hi Shazzabir *waves madly* I never knew this bit of Minimins existed :eek: I've never ventured outside of the SW section. lol

I'm Helen and I'm hoping to do a half Marathon this year, just need to get my finger out and commit to one!

Do you mind if I join you all? :eek:

Thanks Coachnomad :)

God, I wish I knew myself, I really need to decide! I'm in Ireland though but I have 2 in mind. One is in April and one is in September (maybe both if I do the one in April). Depends how much I can psyche myself up and how brave I'm feeling. lollol

Hello & welcome!

April is pretty close. Are u already running? X

Hiya Helen!!!!!! Pleased you have found this thread :) April sounds great, you will be more than ready by then.

I'm still not running, although I am cycling and doing Zumba. Pain still there a little but it is easing. Mentally it is awful not running, but hopefully will be able to do a short run next week. Do I need to build my distance back up again?

Back