Half marathon training

Brilliant, how far apart are the races? x

I have had the race details through for next w/e and it says headphones / iPods are not allowed!!!!!!! Gutted!!!!!
I never run without my music, it's what keeps me going. Tempted to get a beanie hat and wear some small headphones. Gutted, gutted, gutted!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry too much. My 10k last year said the same but I still wore mine & so did plenty others x

That's good. Not sure my legs would be willing to move without music, lol.
I might wait until the race has started and then put them on. I'm sure a few people will not even be aware of it.

The Bristol half is the end of September and the Norwich half is the end of November. Headphones are banned at Norwich too. I won't risk wearing any because a lot of races say they will stop you running and I'm not willing to take that risk.

Hi Coach, I've signed up for the Norwich half as well. I live in Norwich and I've been told they're quite strict on the no headphones policy. I'm gutted as well - I NEED my headphones to focus on! I hate hearing my heavy breathing and my pounding feet! Headphones allow me to feel better and not so self conscious about my running!! Am going to have to train without them, but not just yet!

Hi littlemeercat, yes I saw that about the earphones for the Norwich half. I've not run that far without earphones but I'm sure we'll be fine!

Have you done the Norwich half before?

Tomorrow will be one week until my race. I just want to say that racing is so worth the effort, the money and the time. You do not get this excitement / adrenalin rush from normal training.
I do occasionally think that I don't need to do a race, that a normal training run is all I need. So when I get those moments I shall read this to remind myself!!
Yesterday all the road closure reminder signs were put out, so has made it very real!

It is looking like I will be going out for a chinese the night before the race though, as it's my sisters 40th birthday. Needless to say I will not be drinking, but I'm not sure what food choice to go for. Anybody any thoughts??

Any chance of being able to get away with not having the Chinese?

It's best not to eat anything different to what you usually eat the week/few days before a race as you just don't know how it's going to affect you the morning after :p lol

Not sure, I know it's not ideal, but don't want to spoil my sisters birthday. What if I had English food??

Think about what you usually eat normal everyday food? Rice? If so you could have boiled rice, go for plain meats with no sauces of you can.

How far is your race? Xx

Its a half marathon. My normal food is pasta, I rarely have rice. Thinking maybe I should eat before we go out and then just have something small at the chinese? I haven't even been to the chinese before, so no idea on what the food is like or what is on the menu.

Have you ever had Chinese the night before a long run? If not i'd avoid it at all costs. You just can't know how it's going to effect you the next day. You may have a really good race or you may feel really lethargic. Xx

Hi Coach, my furthest distance so far is 7 1/2 miles. I've got a 10k in May and then the Norwich half in November is my next challenge. I've never entered anything before, so all races will be a new experience for me.

It's inspiring to read of other people who have gone from scratch and completed these distances - and survived!! It makes me feel I can do it as well. I know I feel more motivated if I have a challenge to work towards.

Well done LittleMeercat!!! :)

Back