halogen oven

Really pleased to see your good reports cos I have informed DH that I would like one.............. a lot, a very lot.

i just cut mine up and pop in microwave on a plate for 3/4 mins then fry lite and in the oven only take about 10/15 mins to crisp up

I use it regularly for wedges :D Cut potatoes - nuke in microwave for 3 mins then throw onto a 'cut to size' oven chip tray thing in the halogen oven and cook about 10 mins on 200 - yummy! I have done them from raw too though - they just take a bit longer!

Mine arrived on Friday but the base had a whacking great crack and hole in it so its going back and being replaced by various couriers on Tuesday. There was no obvious signs of damage to the box so I have no idea how it got to be so broken. Robert Dyas very good about sorting the replacement though!

Update to the Robert Dyas/Halogen Oven shenanigans.

Oven collected Monday, replacement showed up Tuesday. Replacement is FRICKING AWESOME. So far, have done oven chips, nuggets, (for the kids! dont panic!) little pastry buffet nibble things; some curry cones and jalapeno peppers in breadcrumbs, and some syn free Cumberland sausage.

Everything thus far has cooked beautifully and I am SO impressed. My old oven is sulking untouched in the kitchen. I did a SW fry up tonight and having the sausages in the oven was splendid, stick them in, set the temp, leave them be till the timer went ding. Normally I am juggling frying pans, trying to do bacon and mushrooms and eggs and with the sausages out of the equation, things got a whole lot simpler and easier to manage.

I think the sausages would be slightly improved if I turned them half way through, but they tasted SO much better than the normal way I do them (frylight in the frying pan). Because they are syn-free they can get quite dry in texture due to having no fat in the sausage, but they were so juicy and lovely done in the halogen oven. I guessed at the temp and time and fortunately it was spot on.

The other advantage of course is that you can see how things are getting on in there because the oven bowl is completely clear, so if things are burning you just pop the lid off and move them to the other shelf, or cover in tin foil.

Am yet to do anything really adventurous, like chicken and veg at the same time, but results so far have been impressive and I have used it every day.

In other news however, DHL re-delivered us the broken one back yesterday. We presume they confused their delivery address and collection addresses, but they had applied their own sticker over the top of my one, which stated perfectly well where it was supposed to be going and this had apparently not been questioned.

Phoned Robert Dyas and the very nice lady said she would arrange to have it re-collected tomorrow.

hubbies been on about these for ages, i love my slow cooker(got 2, big and small), think i'll start having a look for one;)

my dad and step mum go to spain for 6 months every year and the appartment they stay in has no propprer cooke so they brought oneand take it with them and say its great they cook all sorts in it x x

These were in morrisons today on offer... I think they were £39.99 but not 100% sure. I have far to many kitchen gadgets to get one.

Im in danger of becoming a halogen bore, but I no longer consider it a "gadget" it's an essential part of my cooking facilities.

Syn-Free KFC tonight, made with cous-cous coating instead of breadcrumbs. GLORIOUS. Really succulent not dried out chicken, nicely browned coating, absolutely delicious.

I might shut up soon. But dont hold your breath.

I'll be trying syn free chips tonight in mine for the first time, having sw kebab as well :). tomorrow im trying sw KFC so i will stick it in the halogen.....oh i love mine, we moved house at xmas and didnt manage to get the gas cooker connected for 6 weeks so out came the halogen....and it still sits proudly on top of the cooker and the cooker is pretty much redundant LOL

resurrecting this thread, as I got one yesterday, only cooked roasted veg and chicken portions in it so far, but the chicken was the best ever, not dried out at all and any fat and drained out, very pleased so far.

Thanks for resurrecting. I have had my halogen oven a week (gift from my lovely mum) and I am totally in love with it. So far pork chops, chips, croquettes, boiled eggs, chicken portions, etc. Still trial and error but easy to check on food.

Ps frozen bread rolls are epic......like home baked xx

I am going to try celeriac chips later, only had mine a couple of days and love the fact there is so little to clean up and I can watch it cook.

Back