Halter sugar free candy

Curvykirst

LCMS are advertising these sweets as carb free but actually each candy contains 2g carbs and 5 calories - naughty naughty LCMS! :-(

I got caught out by some sugar free sweets that ended up quite high in carbs and calories to my surprise.

I know what you mean - I think I threw Giza through a loop when I told her as I know she has been having them regularly - I am now counting them on fitness pal!

It was MFP that woke me up to how many carbs and cals they had! The packets I have don't say anything at all apart from sugar free. I'd been happily munching them completely oblivious to the fact that they had carbs and anything more than negligible calories. I didn't have loads but it's still more than I would have had if I'd known!

The ones I had contained polyols. Not sure how those 'count' as carbs or whether they affect ketosis but I'm not risking it.

Nasher and Basher said:
Is the 2g carb net carbs ?? As net carbs are indigestible or fibre, hence they do not add to weight gain.

I think. :confused:

Yeah net carbs are what they count in USA and what they put on packets. I think it's calculated by carbs less fibre? Although don't quote me on that. I doubt the 2g in the sweets are net or they wouldn't be called carb free.

If you read the back of an Atkins pack their bars have like 19 carbs, but net carbs (the ones that you count) are only 3. The sweets you are talking about are most likely American and calculated in the same way.

Polyols - the type of sweetener used in these are not counted in the net carbs ie the carbs that affect your blood sugar levels and therefore kick you out of ketosis. Have a look at the label and see if the carbs are all polyols - if so they won't kick you out of ketosis. But do be careful as too much polyol can have pretty nasty effects!!!!

We do need to remember that these products are directed at low carb dieters or diabetics and are not necessarily low calorie too

Net carbs are the carbs minus the fibre - in America the fibre is counted in the carbs but in the UK they are usually listed separately so we need to look at the overall number of carbs in a product (although if it contains polyols you subract that from the total to get the net carb figure)

i had some sugar free ones 200kcal per 100g and 74g carbs but it is poyols which meant that the whole packwt was just under 0.2g nett carbs! so it wouldnt kick you out of ketosis! its the the calories you have to watch but as its a 90g bag i would never eat the whole think and it has definately not kicked me out of ketosis as i still dont feel hungry :) i just replace the calories with my milk calories! there is no other nutrients in them appart from 7g of protien which im guessing is good lol

Thanks for the explanations. I wish the polyols would have nasty effects for me :). Even scoffing a packet of mints containing polyols which I did once does nothing in that department for me!

That makes me feel better about having a few - the website for the sweets is European and in a different language so couldn't find anymore info other than calories and carbs xx

Curvykirst said:
That makes me feel better about having a few - the website for the sweets is European and in a different language so couldn't find anymore info other than calories and carbs xx

I'd wager that if they're on the low carb store they will have checked them out. If they say they're low carb, they must be. x

Back