ham!?

ronnie87

A bit confused about ham - what types of ham are free on red/EE? Just bought some bernard matthews turkey ham and found out its not free (thought it would be cus its v.low fat)?
What ham do you buy?
Also - what about SPAM in a tin? any of these free anyone know!?

arhhh its not free? i thought it was too! had some lunchtime, & theres me thinking i`ve been really good & not had any syns yet today! x

Yeah..not too bad - but I thought it was free too - I calculated it on the website...wonder what alternatives there are!? Bacon I suppose?!

What? Crazy!

I tend to have another one of Bernard's products that is free:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bernard Matthews Wafer Thin Cooked Ham, 97% Fat Free, chilled 100g[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
red.gif
[/FONT] Original Free [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 4½ Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Hope that helps a little bit!

I cook a whole gammon in the slow cooker then cool it and slice it thinly, there is no fat and it is so soft. I freeze it in small packs so just get it out as I need it. It works out much cheaper and is much better quality than the reprocessed stuff.

metrognome...

Sorry - doesn't seem to be!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bernard Matthews Wafer Thin Turkey Ham, 95% Fat Free, chilled 100g[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
red.gif
[/FONT] Original 1 Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 5 Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

i assumed all ham was free! I usually have wafer thin ham from tesco's or asda and dont go easy on it!!! lol isnt affectin weight loss though so cant be too much of a bad thing, surely?!

I fort all ham was free. Maybe not then!

I did too! I buy any ham and snack on it usually... sainsburys do little packets of sliced ham and chicken for 50p each. Our consultant has never told us to be wary of different types of ham etc...

100g is quite a lot though so per slice it must be like 0.1 syn or something ridicuolous...

I bet a lot of us eat the odd extra syn here and there without realising on things we thought were free... so don't get too worried about it.

Straight from the horses mouth

Ham
The differences between ham, gammon and bacon are subtle – where gammon is the name given to the hind leg of pig which is removed from the side of bacon after curing, ham is the hind leg which is cut from the pig and cured separately. Although the curing process was an important method of preserving meat it is now used mainly to give flavour. Unprocessed, the meat is sold as fresh ham; however the meat is commonly cured in one of three ways. The ancient method of dry or air curing involves salting the surface of the meat then storing it to allow the salt to permeate the skin. Parma ham and Prosciutto are examples of dry cured ham. Sweet-pickle or brine curing is another popular method of preserving ham. Immersed in sweet, seasoned brine, the result is a ham infused with a myriad of flavours, popularly including molasses, juniper berries and stout to name just a few. The ham may then be smoked. Mass produced ham is generally injected with brine. Ham can be purchased cooked, in which case it can be eaten cold. Par-cooked or fresh ham requires cooking before it can be eaten. It is excellent boiled, grilled and baked or cold in salads and sandwiches. Pork in general is an excellent source of B vitamins, especially vitamin B12, and proteins. It is also a useful source of zinc. (pop-up windows)
clear.gif
clear.gif
Red_free.gif
Green_HEx.gif

All of which is great as I have having a fair bit on Red days

Back