Hamsters

Sorry about Daisy :-(

But I have only just read your thread and couldn't offer any advice earlier x

Basically...

Hamster 1 (Harvey) had a fab house, tunnels wheels etc and was ill within a week, we took him back to the shop, and apparently they would send him to a vet, which of course we knew they wouldn't, when we rang a few days later, the poor thing had died.

Disinfected hamster cage, and set off to the pet shop for a new hamster, whilst grieving for death of my brother that same day, but you do these strange things!

Hamster 2 (Harvey 2) was ill before my brothers funeral, so, fuming, phoned the shop, and they said take it to a vet and they would pay.....which I did....£45 later....antibiotics and painkillers given......lets be fair we knew he would die of stress and more wet tail, which we suspected the first one had!

I've looked up wet tail and thats what she has died of, wish we had known the early signs before than we could have gotten her some meds x

Sorry about Daisy :-(

But I have only just read your thread and couldn't offer any advice earlier x

Basically...

Hamster 1 (Harvey) had a fab house, tunnels wheels etc and was ill within a week, we took him back to the shop, and apparently they would send him to a vet, which of course we knew they wouldn't, when we rang a few days later, the poor thing had died.

Disinfected hamster cage, and set off to the pet shop for a new hamster, whilst grieving for death of my brother that same day, but you do these strange things!

Hamster 2 (Harvey 2) was ill before my brothers funeral, so, fuming, phoned the shop, and they said take it to a vet and they would pay.....which I did....£45 later....antibiotics and painkillers given......lets be fair we knew he would die of stress and more wet tail, which we suspected the first one had!

Hamster 3 (Harry) Went to the solicitors with my father to start sorting out my late brothers company etc and my Dad started on about another hamster for Kate, so, next stop local pet shop, new cage etc, as I was sure the other one was plagued.

Harry lived even shorter than the others, so, I said that was that, cages, down the skip and no more hamsters!

Went to Florida, obviously came back jet jagged, and gave in to Hamster 4....this time, no wheel (they apparently get stressed and run around it until they die), no tunnels (where germs can thrive and lead to wet tail), super boring cage, but one happy hamster (Prince Nibbly)....got to say hated rats aka hamsters, but by the time Prince Nibbly was nearly three years old and living in a mansion, I could even hold him x

I've looked up wet tail and thats what she has died of, wish we had known the early signs before than we could have gotten her some meds x

Honestly, if you continue to read my hamster story, it really isn't worth the vets bill, it causes them more stress, and that's what causes the wet tail :-(

Lol i'm scared of all animals, pregnant chickens being the worse, Lol its going to be mad enough with 4 under 5s never mind a little animal running about x

Maybe gently tell hubby that the little 'animals' have enough 'friends' and don't need the furry or fluffy variety x

Awww bless you're scared of kittens? But they are so small and sweet :) But cats are a big commitment as they can live 10 or even 20 years. And pregnant women shouldn't clean cat litter trays due to risk of toxoplasmosis.

I see you've got a 4th child under 5 on the way, So probably another pet is last thing you need!

Yeah would agree with not getting a kitten when you've got such small children, the poor thing wouldn't get a minutes peace!
Also, kittens can be quite bad for scratching and biting so not the best around little ones x

Back