Hanging myself out to be shouted at.....

tillyfloss

Gold Member
I LOVE cd!!!!! BUT at times I feel it is really frustrating hearing about other peoples experiences with their CDC's.

I know this forum is all about support, and I always try to help anyone who is struggling or who has a query , but what really frustrates is when someone comes along and gives advice which is plainly wrong!!! based on what they have been told by their CDC..

Let me clarify.... This week I have read.... that some CDC's tell their clients who are doing ss, that they can definitely have coke zero (yes I know it's a grey area) but also normal diet drinks such as diet coke, sprite zero which contain citric acid (these things are clearly not allowed on the plan)
In one post I read a CDC had said someone could have a glass of red wine??
Some CDC's apparently say that it is fine to have chicken and salad if someone is struggling...
Now, at times this diet is really hard, but the thing is I have read the information on the diet and all the scientific research is based on the way it's supposed to be done... hence ss you have nothing except what is stated in the book! ss+ you have nothing except what is stated in the book....
It is upsetting when we see people who follow this advice, that they either get from a CDC or read on here, they then end up being unable to cope with resulting cravings and fall of the wagon big time....
Now 2 things....
I am not a saint, I am doing 100% because although it can be really hard, i have fallen into the traps above previosuly and fell off the wagon and want to do this journey the fast way this time.
I am not criticising people who struggle, we all struggle. What I am criticising is those who give out incorrect advice, advice that can really harm peoples attempt at doing this plan effectively. It is even more frustrating when this info comes from CDC's
On here the CDC's all seem so knowledgable about the diet, they give such sound advice and are a constant source of help and information, it must be frustrating for them too when the hear what other CDC's are reported to have said.
I am sure that some people might be ofended by my words, but it is just my observation and my frustration. I am not attacking anyone particular person.
Please don't flame me!!!

x

well said. I know this is a very hard tough diet but you are only allowed what the book tells you you can have on whatever plan you are following and nothing else. I nearly fell off my chair when I read that a CDC had said you are allowed a glass of red!!! I am under the impression that alcohol in ketosis is DANGEROUS thing to consume.

I agree with you. All CDC's should be saying exactly the same thing! A glass of wine?! Oh my god thats just crazy, and so dangerous! Being 100% is really tough for me so far but I know I can do it, although I wouldn't have been able to do it unless I found this forum- knowing there are other people eating what I'm eating and getting through it really spurs me on.

Totally agree! The only way to do this diet is 100%, once you have something you shouldn't (for me, anyway) it just leads to more and more cheating.
x

Well said tilly!

Hey tilly just wanted to say you are sooo right....i'm not on cambridge any more but i have had 3 different councellors all telling me different things i can and can't have...you'd think they would just support the booklets but they don't grrrr. so i can see why people do say on here what there councellors tell them as to them it's correct...do wish i had one of the excellent councellors from here tho as think i'd still be on it:rolleyes:

In their defence, it may be that some CDC's take the view that its better to have you winning most of the time, than falling off the wagon permanently because you are not coping. Forbidden fruit theory.

Its also down to whether people use such advice given as permission to self sabotage. We must all use common sense and be responsible for our own actions. If we do not follow CD as per the book then we cannot expect the ultimate result and we only have ourselves to blame.

Some people are happy for a regular good weight loss even if it is not the best they could achieve.

I think CDCs should probably question people's motives when they are asked questions which amount to seeking permission to cheat.

i
well said. I know this is a very hard tough diet but you are only allowed what the book tells you you can have on whatever plan you are following and nothing else. I nearly fell off my chair when I read that a CDC had said you are allowed a glass of red!!! I am under the impression that alcohol in ketosis is DANGEROUS thing to consume.

I thought this too and am very puzzled by my CDC's advice. I want to eat and drink 'normally' at my daughters wedding in 3 weeks time and so I asked her what I should do. I said that I was particularly worried about alcohol because it couldn't be drunk on SS+ and she said, 'who told you that?'
I was pretty surprised given all that I've seen on this site and asked her if she'd ever heard of minimins, she said not, so I gave her the website address.
She rang me in the week and said that in all of her training she had never heard that alcohol could make a dieter ill and so she had rung Cambridge directly. Apparently they said that the sugar in the alcohol could give you an upset tummy, but otherwise there'd be no harm or danger. I am very confused now.
On the advice of the amazing KD I am going to go on to 810 for a couple of days, then 1000 and eat sensibly but normally at the wedding (I am preparing the food, so I know what I can eat) and have a small glass of wine and one of champagne. That would be about normal for me anyway. So taking that advice I had salmon, salad, one small new potato and a small glass of red wine last night and I have been fine. I may do something similar tonight, not sure yet. Weigh in tomorrow morning, so I'll report back then.
Conflicting advice is horrible isn't it? It leaves us all not knowing which 'expert' is right. Thankfully we have KD around, I'd have been really stuck without her.

Bess, I whole heartedly agree with you about we'd be lost at times without KD about. My CDC laughed out loud at me when i mentioned about the strange bruising i was coming out in! It was KD who mentioned about vit k which i got and it's now a lot better... though have a black one on the back of the top of my arm and also one by my toe on the top of my foot (both weird places to bruise!).. It was also KD that gave me the much needed advice about moving up to 810 for a few weeks whilst i do some personal saftey training, my CDC wouldn't even answer this question and just looked at me like i'm nuts or somthing as he didn't see the big deal.. Hurray to KD!! x

Umm. This is a very tricky one. Some advice that gets given out is umm...suspect ;)

I can see why some CDCs say you can add 'this and that'. I guess that's what they feel might help the client :( Personally, I prefer not to talk about adding any extras, but if pushed I do give pros and cons (more cons than pros :D) and it's then up to them. So informed choices and all that.

The alcohol thing bothers me big time. Reason for this is I don't know how dangerous it is, or isn't, and there is no way that I'm going to give advice out that it's safe and have someone be seriously ill or even die because of me!

I have never heard about it upsetting the stomach, but I do know that when in ketosis, you can get drunk very quickly. It's also very hard to make good judgements about quantities when you are drunk. And...people can die if they get seriously drunk.

Since Cambridge say "No alcohol", I put the two and two together and say "no alcohol":p, but try not to add the reasons from my own research, because I'm not sure 100% about it as Cambridge have never given me a reason themselves.

I'm really glad that advice I have given on the forum or by pm has proved helpful. Lovely to know :)

Of course alcohol is high in sugar and therefore carbs, and obviously high in empty calories.. Can't be good for the diet and your efforts to remain in ketosis.:confused:

I am glad some people see it the same way as me....
I have been upset recently by a couple of people falling off the wagon, because they have been told that to eat 'accepted food' is fine... as it's better to eat 'safe' food than fall of the wagon... BUT the fact is, for most of us, we have a huge problem with food and our emotional attachemnts to food, and being on CD for a week or two just isn't long enough for us to sever these connections and sort emotions out that may have been decades in the making.
When a CDC say's look just have chicken and sald if you are hungry, it undermines the whole abstinence thing...
Yes of course, it would be easy to eat a bit of chicken and salad, and its not liekely to affect Ketosis, but when the same person a few days later gets into a situation that has previously been 'helped' by food, they automatically think... hmmm I had chicken and salad last time and was fine... in fact they are just swapping one set of problems for another....
I know KD that you have talked about the long and short jounreys tog et to same destination... but do you think it should be the first option to advise someone to eat a green / white meal? (not saying you do this!!! Just lot's of people on here do!)
So often it is the first advice given out on here... and it's often this advice (which is given with much care) that can cause someone to start ont eh slippery slope back to where they were....

So come on folks!! lets support each other.... let's tell people they can abstain!! Yes their will be times when someone really can't do it! But their will be many many times that with some good distraction, they can get through the difficult times...
Let's help each other to suceed and give advice straight from the booklet that we all have....
And above all lets all do it!!!

x

To be clear I was not condoning it, just trying to explore an alternative hypothesis :p

And I wasn't refering to your post, just many many others that I have read over the past ... months! :D
xx

Of course alcohol is high in sugar and therefore carbs, and obviously high in empty calories.. Can't be good for the diet and your efforts to remain in ketosis.:confused:

Alcohol is really a food group on its own. As the body can't store it like carbs and fats, it's sorted with first, so basically, everything goes on hold when alcohol is consumed. No fat burning etc.

And yes...empty calories as it wont be considered calories in food, so the calories are added for fat storage, but not recognised as 'eaten'...so the hormones will still be wanted those cals :(

I know KD that you have talked about the long and short jounreys tog et to same destination... but do you think it should be the first option to advise someone to eat a green / white meal? (not saying you do this!!! Just lot's of people on here do!)

It really depends on the situation. I'm pretty careful about suggesting that on a forum...or to a client. It does depend on who it is :D

I'm more inclined to suggest they go up to SS+ if SS is impossible for whatever reason. After all, SS is for those who find SS fits in well for them. SS+ is not a cheat plan, it's a perfectly acceptable diet in itself. But..as I say, I will say do SS+, not have some chicken and veg...which can lead to all sorts of problems with portion sizes, adding extras.

I avoid suggesting that people just jump on SS+ if they are trying to SS, but again, I have done...quite recently in fact, because that person was struggling quite needlessly (imo) with hunger etc for a few weeks...and had managed SS+ much better. I had the feeling that this member felt it would be cheating to go up a plan.

So come on folks!! lets support each other.... let's tell people they can abstain!! Yes their will be times when someone really can't do it! But their will be many many times that with some good distraction, they can get through the difficult times...
I do agree with this, but there again, I would rather someone managed on SS+ then felt a failure because they couldn't SS for whatever reason.

Personally, I'm not keen on threads that say 'yeah you'll be okay having a bit of this and that because you'll stay in ketosis blah blah'

I can see how the 'journey' post could be perceived as encouraging others to drop of the wagon, though I don't think people see it like that really as I've tried to point out problems such as getting delayed longer than hoped when you go visiting ;) but it is important to me that if people struggle and find they can't do it, they don't beat themselves up or feel they have failed.

Just referring back to original post, i eat chicken or haddock etc in evening as im on ss+ but i dont consider this cheating and it isnt makin it any harder to stay away from other foods...

I agree with you KD and you know,,, this sums up why we go tot CDC's Becuase for me ss+ would simply not work... I would start cheating because of the emotions involve... because of what i ahve said to Lelly and the questions she has asked me.. she would be able to guide me effectively.... And the same for other people.. like you say it is NOT a cheat diet.... it is very appropriate for those whose CDC's feel it is appropriate....
I think my whole point originally was that unfortunately CDC advice can be hit and miss, and pieces then get picked up on the forums, and these tidbits become 'fact'.... these facts can then be very damaging to those who are struggling...
Ultimately I would urge every person who reads this, to question their cdc if they feel the advice is questionable... I presume anyone can ring cd to to check advice... And what I should have said before is that each of us support each other with wahtever plan they are on (not necessarily ss) instead of encouraging them to hop between plans which maybe wholey unsuitable for their personal situation.

JH, this is why i say, that we should do the plan we are doing.. the fish is good for you, it's part of your plan... but i'm sure if i was struggling one day you wouldn't just tell me to go eat some fish because it hasn't harmed you! Infact if I was to go and eat the fish it would probably be lethal for my diet... its all about doing the plan we are on whatever it is... and using the correct advice as per the booklet

Back