Happy Hippos

Gemstone

Here for the Journey
Just the other day I bumped into a friend in town and (silly me) happened to remark how good she was looking. One and a half hours and two cups of coffee later she was still going on about how she lost 4 stone and dropped 4 dress sizes. Don't get me wrong, I had nothing but admiration for her but she didn't even pause for breath!
As she stood up to leave she said, "So I'll pick you up at 7.45 on Tuesday then".
SHOCK! HORROR! ABSOLUTE PANIC! What on this earth had I agreed to in my catatonic state?
Tuesday came and as the time approached panic reached fever point. I reasoned that throwing myself under a bus was a bit drastic so I reached for the make-up bag and tried to decide between going pale and a rash on the face.
Deciding neither would work I reached for the phone, intending to plead sickness, when the doorbell rang and I heard my husband say, "Yes she's ready and really looking forward to her night out".
Traitor!
I was led speechless to the car and propelled headlong into......Happy Hippos! Happy Hippos? Jeese, whoever thought of that one?
Happy Hippos is a jolly group of women. Joining is by invitation only and you have to be 3 stone overweight to be invited. Happy Hippos play bingo, sing karaeoke, have guest speakers and play games. The scales take an indescrete pride of place at the front of the room and the ladies jump on and off to cheers and commiserations of their fellow Hippos.
Yesterday I got my invitation to join Happy Hippos. Now did anyone see
where I put that make-up bag........? :eek:

© June 2008

Gem x

I apologise to anyone on the forum who is a Happy Hippo but it is just not for me, sorry :)

Last edited:
Hahaha Gem! You've got such a way with words, I love your little stories! Especially ferreting around for a piggy bank!

Hmm I can't say that I've ever heard of 'Happy Hippos' but it doesn't sound like a very nice group :confused: well it does, I suppose if you're into that kind of thing. Is it a group like WW or SW but with festivities like bingo?

Im a bit confused but hmmmm :confused:

Have you sent back your RSVP then :p

I'm trying hard not to snigger here, but I'm sorry I'm failing miserably :D

ROFLMAO is all i can say i hope everyone understand the anacronym

It's a small group organised by the women themselves - kinda social gathering with a purpose......she says firmly clutching the make-up bag just in case

Gemstone i have to say that yr story has made me laugh alot - sounds crazy to me!!
BTW saw yr post in another thread and Im quite new here but loving it keeps me quiet of an evening!
xx
PS am also in the South - am I at risk from the HHs??

gem stop trying to convince yourself lol

Yes Taro - I have sent the RSVP - straight to the recycling bin

Hi hoping2shrink
If you have a friend who talks a lot and you just say yes and no when she takes a breath without really listening - your invitation could already be in the post! Wanna borrow my make-up bag?

Help am dreaming up my excuses as we speak .... you made me laugh ta xx

Hey thanks to whoever gave me a rep point for this thread x

haha happy hippos what a name!

Thats priceless!! PMSL!! I don't know, wouldn't being forced to sing in front of a group of heavy women...then get weighed motivate you a little....no? Ah well.... ;P I don't think it'd be for me either....I must make more of an effort to listen to 'waffly' friends....I really am in danger of this happening to me- thanks for the heads-up!

Not at all Taz. Don't ever let your guard down with talkative friends! x

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

*makes mental note to pay special attention and to avoid all village halls with evening activities*

Back