Harder to lose if you have yo yo dieted all your life so far??!!

Hi,

I was at my weigh in last Tue and expected a big lose as i had worked so hard the week before with my eating and my excercise. When i got weighed my leader said i had only lost 1 and half lbs, i was gutted and she noticed i was gutted! She then said to me that because i have tried to loss weight so many times over the years (i go on and off ww like nobodys business) she said i have messed my metabolism up?!!

Just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this? I hadn't and it just made me feel even more down! I have wrecked my chances at weight loss in the future and it is going to be so slow. Feel like if i eat 1 bad thing, even if within my points it puts weight on me :(

Needless to say i have been so bad this week, its like iv punished myself and ate rubbish all week, even though deep down i didn't want to do it it still happened :(

I suppose your body would have to adapt to a new eating plan but i cant see it being a major problem longterm so long as you stick with WW. I'm the same, think i've rejoined WW nearly a dozen times in the past 2-3 years alone. Dont think its had a bad effect on my losses but i'm determined this time i'm going to stick with it for more than 4 weeks at a time. Need the weight off.

Just stick to what you are doing, have a treat so long as its within your points. Dont let what the leader said put you off. If anything use it as a tool to spur you on. Prove her wrong :)

Thanks Loser85 i will try my bestest, like yourself i need and want to make this my last time for joining ww!! So hard though but just need to keep it going.

Good luck to you with it all :)

I have heard this too, and as this is my millionth time at ww i googled it. Every answer that came up says that isn't true and you can't permanently damage your metabolisim.

Ack that's good to know that its just a myth, thanks Nikki299 & Cavegirl13, both your comments are reassuring to me! Hopefully i can pull this off and keep going once and for all, too many times i have let the flab win! Not this time (i hope)!!

Good luck

I have just had a disappointing first weigh in too :( Only lost 3lbs and was 100% last week and didn't use many of my weeklies either, but totm is due so that might have hindered me slightly - thats what i'm hoping anyway!!!
Will keep going and hopefully will get a better loss next week :)

Believe it or not, messing up your metabolism is EXTREMELY hard to do. I think your leader was looking for something to say and said this old cliche.

If you truly believe your metabolism needs a boost. You should start some weight/strength training 3 times a week. I don't know if you already do this or what your exercise levels are, but if you don't do much I would up your levels. If you do exercise, just keep plodding on and it will eventually help.

Good luck xx

I have been yoyo dieting for about 25 years. Never really got anywhere with it. This time is different and have lost 86lbs over the last year. So I don't seem to have messed up my metabolism.

This sort of thing annoys me. You need no medical training to be a WW leader and they shouldn't be making statements like this. It is potentially dangerous.

Back