Has anyone successfully lost weight after a lifetime of yo-yo'ing??

Hi all! Well, I'm still hitting my 1600-1700cal target and am still 12st 3lbs (with daily ups & downs)- so I guess you could say I'm starting to maintain? My dilemma now is whether to up my maintenence another bit before I try to lose again, or accept this as my maintenence level and try to stay here for a few weeks then re-assess how to start losing again?....Hmmm....
I am eating really well at this level and am more than satisfied most days with my food consumption, so it would be hard to raise the cals again, but then I tell myself that its only a handful of peanuts, or an extra few slices of bread so it wouldn't be difficult to do if I wanted to? Could I face more gain though...dilemma..dilemma?....:confused:

hi, you are doing well and staying positive is the best atitude you can have! have you thought about joining a gym? it works for me..

TBH- I would have no heed in a gym- I want this to be a way of life I can uphold without any 'extras'- I mean, I want to be able to maintain without it depending on me spending an hour 5days a week in the gym? As it is- the nearest one is 35mins drive away (I live in rural Ireland), and with 2 toddlers, its just not practical/affordable. When I maintain for a while I intend to up my exercise to start losing again, but it'll be things like walking etc.?

TBH- I would have no heed in a gym- I want this to be a way of life I can uphold without any 'extras'- I mean, I want to be able to maintain without it depending on me spending an hour 5days a week in the gym? As it is- the nearest one is 35mins drive away (I live in rural Ireland), and with 2 toddlers, its just not practical/affordable. When I maintain for a while I intend to up my exercise to start losing again, but it'll be things like walking etc.?

Yes! That's it. Now I know this will sound crazy, but I try not to do anything that will make a difference to my weight. Weight is such a fickle thing. I found that when it came to maintaining, I had to take the focus off what the scales say, and put it onto what made me feel good (well...within reason:D)

Then the weight takes care of itself.

I did the time at the gym, but then decided that I was only doing it to control my weight. I stopped enjoying it for itself.

Now I walk. Not to keep the weight down, but because I feel better for walking, and have realised that it's just more fun for me than getting in the car...assuming it's not too far to go!

I walk because sometimes it's quicker. I feel better after a walk. It's lazy not too :p and I have no need to just sit on my bum. I'm not that person anymore.

There is no "I can't make it to the gym so I can't eat as much:cry:" or "blow this for a game of soldiers...I'd prefer to starve".

Instead it's "Oh my...I so need to get out and get some fresh air and stretch my limbs". I do it for me...not for the scales IYKWIM. A present for myself :)

Thanks for not blowing me out for not wanting to become a gym-bunnie! LOL! I'm glad I'm not alone in all this....:clap::thankyou:

I'm certainly not a gym bunny! I prefer to walk or jog in front of the tv or put on some sounds and dance - you work up a nice sweat and get toned all over.

I agree that weight is a fickle thing. Sometimes you gain or lose in ways that seem baffling.

Irishmum in your position I might up the calories slightly for two days in a row them drop them by 300 or 400 for the next two days, alternating through the week. I have done this for years and it works. Your metabolism never gets the chance to adapt to either the higher or the lower amount, yet you still have enough calories to allow a decent day's enjoyable and flexible food. When you decide to maintain properly you just gradually adjust the calorie intake 'up' instead of 'down'.

The essence of maintaining for me is patience. We have abused our bodies over the years with way too much food, then way too little, then way too much again. We need to find a level of calorie intake and physical activity that balances out so we can eat without becoming even more neurotic about it than we already are!

You're doing well. Keep going, and good luck.

I prefer to walk or jog in front of the tv or put on some sounds and dance - you work up a nice sweat and get toned all over.
I've started doing this, insane and all as I look! LOL! And I only do it if alone!
Thanks for the zig-zagging advice, its something to think about? I'm in this for the long-run, so I want a 'solution' that'll work long-term- not much to ask is it! ;)

I just thought I'd update anyone that was interested- I'm still 12st 3lbs and I've been at 2000cals a day now for 3wks!! :party0049:I really think the corner has turned. I'm off to Spain this weekend for 4 days and when I return (& have lost the sangria 'bloat', LOL!) I'm going to re-assess where I'm at and how best to start shifting these extra lbs! I have a wedding on the 6th November that I'd love to be 1/2st lighter for...then theres the Christmas party.....hmmmm...

Have a great vacation, and good luck with the weight loss when you get back!

well done hon!! that's great news :D hope you enjoy your hols. look forward to hearing from you when you get back :)

abz xx

Back