Has Slimming World worked for you when no other plan has?

E&I'sMum

Hi there,

I'm thinking of joining my local class tomorrow. I have tried and failed many times on weight watchers and calorie controlled diets, I just can't stick to them! I would love to know if anyone has tried and failed at other plans and then have SW work? I am desperate to get the weight shifted, I've had 2 babies in 2 years and the weight has packed on, I just feel like I'm missing out on so much with them because I hate the thought of going to the likes of soft play or swimming as I'm too embarrassed.

I'd be so grateful for any tips or advice :)

I have tried the calorie control and weight watchers but its all about weighy and remembering what points or calories you have had. I got sick of it to be honest and thought to myself I can not do this for the rest of ny days. I had done slimming world after both my kids and got to the weight u wanted. Why I didn't do it this time I don't know, just fancied something different. I recommend slimming world all the way.

I think you need to give some serious thought to why you failed at the other diets you tried. If it was because you were hungry all the time then SW can help but if it was boredom that that's something you need to tackle yourself because it's likely it would happen no matter which plan you are doing. When you know why the other plans didn't work then you can start coming up with a plan so that won't happen again :)

YES - GO FOR IT!!!!

SW imho - is brilliant! There are so many free foods that it makes it easier for you to decide what to eat - it gives you a freedom that no other 'diet' does! It's also a far cry from WW and calorie controlled diets - where if like me the last thing you want to waste your time on is 'counting points / calories for EVERYTHING you put in your mouth! That's far to time consuming and boring for me!

The SW plan teaches you to eat healthily and more satisfyingly - no foods are banned as such but it shows you how moderation is the key - and how you can fill your plate with numerous YUMMY foods and still lose weight, never feel hungry and there is ALWAYS something different to try!

I admit that i have been on and off the plan for years - but that is just down to my motivation and whats been happening in my personal life! I'm back on track now and know this time i will sicceed and that it isn't just for me, but the whole of my family can eat fantastically too and no-one feels they are missing out!

Only last week i had Homemade Cheese and Bacon Burger with Chips, H / M Sweet and Sour Pork with egg fried rice, Shepherds Pie, Sausage Cassoulet, Huge Lamb Roast with trimmings, Chicken Kiev and so on..........

give it a whirl - i am sure you will love it!

Thanks you all for your replies, I know the reason I gave up all times before is because I just couldn't stand to be hungry, I felt headachy and miserable, I don't think I ever stuck to it long enough to get bored with it!

Sealmylips, that food sounds amazing!! And it is a big plus factor that your family can eat the food, I really want my kids growing up eating healthy food its a pain having to make different meals for everyone!

i would recommend the sw plan, i joined after i left ww, i did lose a stone with ww but was always hungry and at times even went to bed early as i was hungry and had used all my daily points!!!, i love this plan i am never hungry and dont feel like i am dieting, the weight isnt coming off as quickly as with ww but it is moving in the right direction and i have only got 9 or 10lb to lose so it will be slow, i would certainly give it a go i think you will enjoy it. xx

Thanks you all for your replies, I know the reason I gave up all times before is because I just couldn't stand to be hungry, I felt headachy and miserable, I don't think I ever stuck to it long enough to get bored with it!

Sealmylips, that food sounds amazing!! And it is a big plus factor that your family can eat the food, I really want my kids growing up eating healthy food its a pain having to make different meals for everyone!

Turkish Delight, thank you for your reply. That's exactly the way I was on WW, I would go to be early so I wouldn't eat. I honestly wouldn't mind if my weight loss is slow, if the plan is doable then it wont feel like such a battle!

Well, if you are starving on SW then you are not doing it right lol. There is so much food you can eat freely without weighing, counting or measuring that you should never be that hungry. It's more often the case that newbies come on here saying they can't possibly lose weight because they are eating so much food!

So I say go for it :)

PatchworkPuss said:
Well, if you are starving on SW then you are not doing it right lol. There is so much food you can eat freely without weighing, counting or measuring that you should never be that hungry. It's more often the case that newbies come on here saying they can't possibly lose weight because they are eating so much food!

So I say go for it :)

I echo that!!! Sw is one diet you should not be hungry on! Give it another go I say there is so much support! I hear you on the baby thing... I had 3 in 13 months lol... :)

I echo that!!! Sw is one diet you should not be hungry on! Give it another go I say there is so much support! I hear you on the baby thing... I had 3 in 13 months lol... :)

Oh my word! 3 in 13 months, I take my hat off to you I find it hard with just the 2. Definately going to give it a good go, I actually feel hopeful for the first time in years that I might be able to stick to something

Definately S W is the best! Just one example I am having lamb shank (Tescos Simply Cook in minted gravy), carrots, and potatoes, strawberries and yoghurt, melon, then a choc drink (options 2 syns) and two cereal bars ( Health Ex b) for tonight. Now youre not telling me you would still be hungry after that E and Is Mum! Tomorrow we are having S W burgers mushrooms, and syn free chips! Does that sound like a diet? Am I selling it to you? Best decision I ever made!You will do well and S W isnt a diet, its healthy eating in a structured way for life. I have been at target now for 9 months and love it. You will too. And we are all here to help

An eating plan that lets you gorge on as much fruit as you want is amazing. I have one curly surly a day, snapped in half as my emergency choc respite and the rest of the day I eat cold meats as a picker between delicious, low fat meals x

E&I'sMum said:
Oh my word! 3 in 13 months, I take my hat off to you I find it hard with just the 2. Definately going to give it a good go, I actually feel hopeful for the first time in years that I might be able to stick to something

Good luck :))) have a good look around this site too! As others have said we are here to help :)

I would echo other members comments & definitely recommend SW! I lost nearly 4st a few years ago with WW but it has all crept back on.:sigh: I've also counted calories & dabbled with Atkins!

This is the first time that I've been on a diet that could become a way of eating for life. I lead a very busy life with a stressful job which means my plans can be turned upside down at any time! Despite that I've kept on plan for 10 weeks now and find it easy to find something to eat on plan no matter what happens!!

No gimmicks or get slim quick fixes - just good old fashioned REAL food!

There is so many foods you can eat, and so many recipes using only free foods, and having the 15 syns a day to play with, it honestly doesn't feel like I'm on a diet. I've had 7 and half syns today and this is my menu.

Chopped mango and banana with fat free natural yogurt for breakfast.

2 slices of wholemeal bread as a healthy extra toasted with a bit of clover light on, 2 linda mcartney red onion sausages (free food!) Baked beans and lots of mushrooms fried in fry light for lunch

Snacked on grapes in the afternoon

For tea, I wanted something junk foody. I had 2 meat free burgers, 1 syn each, with two low fat cheese slices on top, 2 syns each. Slimming world chips, mushrooms again, and homemade syn free coleslaw.

Then I had a muller light for desert. And all the milk I'm allowed as a healthy extra a amounts to around 5 or 6 cuppas a day.

Loads of food!!! And options for meals when you're fancying something really naughty, as we can make them healthy and low syn by using different things.

I always thought sw would be too hard to follow. Well it really isn't, so give it a go hun, it really is the most satisfying diet I've ever been on x

There is so many foods you can eat, and so many recipes using only free foods, and having the 15 syns a day to play with, it honestly doesn't feel like I'm on a diet. I've had 7 and half syns today and this is my menu.

Chopped mango and banana with fat free natural yogurt for breakfast.

2 slices of wholemeal bread as a healthy extra toasted with a bit of clover light on, 2 linda mcartney red onion sausages (free food!) Baked beans and lots of mushrooms fried in fry light for lunch

Snacked on grapes in the afternoon

For tea, I wanted something junk foody. I had 2 meat free burgers, 1 syn each, with two low fat cheese slices on top, 2 syns each. Slimming world chips, mushrooms again, and homemade syn free coleslaw.

Then I had a muller light for desert. And all the milk I'm allowed as a healthy extra a amounts to around 5 or 6 cuppas a day.

Loads of food!!! And options for meals when you're fancying something really naughty, as we can make them healthy and low syn by using different things.

I always thought sw would be too hard to follow. Well it really isn't, so give it a go hun, it really is the most satisfying diet I've ever been on x

The fact you can eat chips seems crazy, right? I have an actifry and it cooks chips in 6 squirts of fry lite to PERFECTION x

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it! I'm totally sold lol. I actually can't wait to get started now. I love this forum already. :)

Hi there, just wanted to give my 2 pence worth! Slimming world is amazing. I have failed at many many other attempts. I have had my ups and downs, but for the first time I'm riding it out and seeing changes mentally and physically. I feel like I am getting better every day. I find it has changed since I started staying to group every week, I make sure I get as much advice as possible, and I learn alot there.

This forum has been a lifesaver, I joined 2 weeks ago and love it here.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

I can only endorse what everyone has said here.

Slimming World is brilliant!

I have tried numerous ways to reverse the weight gain that has been slowly building up over the past five years - about three stone in that time. Nothing has worked and I was so depressed and down about my weight. I couldn't bear the thought of another Summer wearing tents. A leaflet through the door was what made me pick up the phone and speak to the consultant whose number was on there. I went along to the next meeting ... and after four weeks I was 7lb lighter and am still going strong - next weigh in tomorrow. This is the first time my weight had 'gone down' since 2006.

To begin with I found it difficult to believe I could eat so much and lose weight ... but the scales said differently. I can honestly say I am eating more, and better than I did before I joined SW .. and as a vegetarian who loved salads and fruit, with not too much of a sweet tooth, and a dislike of fatty things like pastry etc - I ate a pretty good diet before - just too much of certain foods like cheeses, wine, rich, oily sauces etc. I guess - obviously something wasn't right for me to have gotten so porky in the first place. I've always loved cooking ... and I honestly didn't think SW could teach me much in that regard - but I couldn't have been more wrong.

After a couple of not so nice attempts at the beginning - I've perfected my recipe for SW coleslaw, which is genuinely nicer than any of the high fat, calorie laden versions you can buy, and nicer than any homemade coleslaw made with great dollops of mayo as I would once have made it. I grate Granny Smith apples into it to make it sweeter and have a huge tupperware box of it in my fridge at all times and a 'side' goes on every meal I eat. Likewise couscous - with herbs and chopped vegetables - another big box in the fridge at all times. I prefer my 'fry light' method of cooking veg now to the way I used to cook it, dripping in oil - sweet peppers, mushrooms, chunks of onion, mini corn on the cobs - a few sprays and under the grill. Delicious! Likewise I do my SW chips/wedges and sweet potato chips/wedges under the grill rather than in the oven - but only because my oven temperature is a bit erratic and I can just keep an eye on things better using the grill. They come out crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside and taste a dream!

I have learned to make some fantastic recipes with quorn products (which I used before, but in nowhere near such imaginative ways as I do now). I have also discovered products I wouldn't have looked twice at before - like some of the delicious fat free yoghurts, frozen berries and fruits (especially frozen raspberries which are absolutely fantastic and so versatile) and the wondrous choccy philly, don't be silly (as Jennifer Saunders would say :D) - a teaspoonful of which, will cure any sweet craving ... as a dip with fruit (just melt it a little in the microwave first) or stirred into natural yoghurt to make a slightly decadent choccie yoghurt - delicious with sliced banana.

Every day I sit and think about what I'm going to eat whereas before I'd just have shovelled it in without even thinking. Take my SW cheese ration as I call it - 42g per day of reduced fat cheddar. When I buy a block now I cut it up into portion sizes, and just take one out a day. I swear I would have once eaten more than that ... while I was making a cheese sandwich, and had twice as much again in the sandwich itself lol! But it's amazing what you can do with 42g of cheese and really enjoy it! Fruit and vegwise I am constantly trying different things (never realised how stuck I was buying the same things all the time). I bought an aubergine last week and have used that in a veggie pasta dish, and in mixed 'roast' veg. I bought plums which I 'stew' in no added sugar fruit squash and serve with fat free vanilla yoghurt - absolutely delicious - not particularly exotic either of them, but it would be a rare occasion that I would buy plums or aubergine before I joined SW.

My dinner tonight was a enormous jacket spud which I scooped out and mashed with some natural yoghurt, salt and pepper, and my cheese ration grated into it. Piled it back into the skins and popped under the grill to crisp and brown. I had two Quorn sausages with 'fried' onions, three tomatoes, halved and grilled in fry light with fresh basil, and some mushy peas on the side (another SW discovery which I absolutely love). Not only did it look delicious on the plate it tasted delicious.

As someone else said ... what SW offers is a completely different way of eating that once you've mastered it, becomes second nature. I can't ever imagine me going back to my old ways - the thought of some of the things I used to eat - or rather, the way I prepared my food (I'd start a pasta sauce with a huge glug of olive oil), I'd always make my garlic bread with thickly spread butter. I'd eat bread all day long sometimes - every time I wanted a snack it would be bread or toast - now I'll eat two small slices of nimble wholemeal occasionally as a healthy extra, but that's it.

I can honestly say SW is the best thing I personally have ever done in regards to tackling my weight, and indeed tackling my whole relationship with food. I can't praise it enough.

Last edited:
Back