Have any of you found that excess weight has stopped your periods?

Just wondering, as this has happened to me, and i wondered if it happened to anyone else..............

Thats been a definite downside to losing weight. My periods are now horribly regular. 2 a year suited me fine ;)

Have to say its the other way round for me was regular as clockwork , now only had 1 in the last 9 months not complaining tho not missed them lol

Thank god I'm not the only one. I wanted to know about this, too, but didn't want to ask. Mine haven't stopped, they've just never been regular. I can have one every few weeks for a few months, then skip them for a few months. It's so inconvenient not knowing when they're going to come.

Thank god I'm not the only one. I wanted to know about this, too, but didn't want to ask. Mine haven't stopped, they've just never been regular. I can have one every few weeks for a few months, then skip them for a few months. It's so inconvenient not knowing when they're going to come.

I'm exactly the same, one month it can last 3 days, the next 3 weeks, then I won't have one for a couple of months... I went to the Dr about it, (after hormone and various other blood tests) she told me that it's "one of those things" and that losing weight would probably help.

In school, one of my friends who was very overweight, didn't have periods and the doctor said it was cos she was overweight. She did lose a few stone and now has a beautiful little girl.

Irregular cycles can be a sign of pcos, also can get them on progestogen-only contraceptive pills suchas Cerazette etc. Cerazette has stopped mine altogether though this could change and be very unpredictable or you could have opposite problem and bleed all the time.

Who be a woman, eh!? :rolleyes::D

I was a bit skeptical of my doctor when she said my periods stopped because of my weight. She's pretty useless (thankfully don't see her any more) and when I lost a couple of stones and they started again I was shocked to see she was right. Has to be a first time for everything I suppose!

when i was 17 and a half stone my periods would last sometime for just 1/2 a day. and i suffered all the symptoms of pcos. since losing weight im as regular as clockwork, full flow for 5 days.

when you think about it, the fat must have been cloggin up my inner organs and not making them work properly.

The metformin I take for diabetes regulated my periods. Diabetic consultant and gynacologist say I have pcos yet my GP doesn't acknowledge it as blood tests show nothing.:rolleyes: Gynae warned me to lose weight before trying to get pregnant as they couldn't help me othwise. Am not ttc but would like to get the weight off now anyhow.

When I was at my heaviest (between 15 and a half and 16st) I stopped having periods. I was ten years old when they started but for years they were never regular, I didn't begin having them every month for about three years after that and then when I hit 14st at age 15 they stopped. I also had acne (yes, I know, I wasn't a pretty teenager) so my family worried that I had polycystic ovaries and took me to the doctor, but tests showed I didn't have them. Periods started up again a year or two later when I'd lost some weight, but once I was 18 and hit my maximum weight (just over 16st) they stopped again. Got down to 14 and a half and they have been regular ever since.

Last edited:
Well I'm normally regular but found after taking the depo I didn't have one until 5 months afterwards instead of 3 months and I bled just a bit but missed my period that I should have had this month.

I've not lost a lot yet and have still got a lot to lose, but for the past few months, my periods have been getting better, and they have been since about October, which, I think, must be about the longest I have ever been semi-regular (about every 4-6 weeks) for.

Back