Have to keep going now, actually can't give up!

Caz

Repeat Offender
I've just signed up to register on the blood marrow and stem cell donor register. To do it, you have to have a BMI of under 35 - I'm currently just over 37 and 15lbs away from a BMI of 34.9.

I know that if I wait until I am that weight, I will forget to go and register so I have done it now saying that I am 15lbs lighter than I am today. You might think it's a bit dodgy but the whole registration process actually takes a while as they take a saliva sample and stuff and so apparently it's about 6-8 weeks before you're on the register properly I've been told. So by then, if I keep on track, I could well be that weight.

I'm not sure many people have heard about it before, so if you want to have a look and see what on earth I'm going on about: Anthony Nolan | UK blood cancer charity | Anthony Nolan

This is all the motivation that I need to keep going. Now, losing weight isn't just about changing my life, it's about potentially saving someone elses. Only 30% of people needing a bone marrow or stem cell transplant can possibly find a match from a family member, the other 70% rely on the donation of a stranger. What if one day that's me or someone I care about - a friend, a niece, my child? What if they have to rely on the complete selfless donation of a stranger to save their life? It can sometimes be a painful process but if it saves someones life, its worth it. If I ever got contacted as a match, I'd do it the same as I'd hope someone would do it if it was me, my mum, my sister, my friend, anyone I care about.

Now I just need to lose those 15lbs!

You are amazing xxx

Totally agree with iwillsoonbeslim! Go you!

I'm not amazing!

Caroline, I think it's wonderful that you've joined and you're telling people. I've always wanted to join something like this too since I think the work they do is invaluable! I'm going to join up too :)

It says you can't join if you're under 8 stone. What if you're a smidgen under for the foreseeable future until your transition to maintenance is over? (I'm thinking it's going to take 6 weeks for me to slowly up my calories without gaining excess weight, so I'm using that pound as a 'bumper')

I might need to wait a few weeks :(

Well I've joined before I'm under a BMI of 35 because I know that soon I will be. Not I might be, not I'll possibly be, I WILL be. So I'm sure for 1lb it won't hurt for you to put your weight as slightly higher seeing as you know that you will be that. They have to go through your 'application', send out a saliva swab, analyse it and everything so it takes a while. By then you will be. And I'll be over twice your weight lol

Plus you can whack a pound back on dead fast if your a match for anyone :)

I'd have to look at recovery times before I said yes. I can't really be out of action for two weeks at the mo :( I donate blood tho? still I do always say if you'd be happy to take a donation you really should be willing to give one so maybe I'll do it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It says it all on the site so I'll just copy and paste!

Peripheral blood stem cell collection – donating through a vein in your arm
What happens?
A nurse will come to your home or office to give you injections over three days. These injections help your body produce and release stem cells into your blood. You’ll then come to a hospital in London to make the donation but you won’t need an overnight hospital stay or a general anaesthetic. Your blood is taken through a
tiny tube in your arm, and the cells are donated by passing the blood through a machine. Side effects can include flu-like symptoms and aching but they’re usually mild and last just a couple of days.

Bone marrow donation – donating stem cells taken from bone marrow in the pelvis
What happens?
You’ll come to a hospital in London where you’ll spend two nights. You’ll be given a general anaesthetic and doctors will take some of your bone marrow from your pelvis using a needle and syringe. You’ll probably
experience tiredness and a little bruising afterwards but this generally passes after about a week.

How will you feel afterwards?
Our donors often tell us that the side effects last a few days, but the pride at having helped save a life stays with them forever. We will reimburse all reasonable out-of-pocket expenses including paying for and arranging all travel and accommodation requirements.

I actually know someone who had bone marrow taken and they said it isn't that bad and a day or so later they were fine

I didn't make this post to make anyone feel bad, at all. Tina you have a very demanding home life and so I think it would be understandable if you didn't!

I've just read over my last post and I sound so silly lol! Winging over a bloody pound! I'm frightened of things like needles, but I'd grit my teeth and do it since it's for such a good cause. Like you said, it's someone's mother/child/loved one that you're saving.

That's the thing, can take years and years and years. That's why if you're 41 or over, they won't let you register. It costs over £100 to put each person on the register (taking their sample and analysing their tissue type) and it can take years and years to be found as a match, though obviously sometimes it'll happen much sooner and they can't take a donation from anyone 60 or over so it isn't in their financial interest to register people over 40 because they can barely afford it as it is.

Guys, you're amazing, the country I live in doesn't allow donations from UK nationals because of the BSE crisis, but next time I'm home I'll make sure I give blood out of solidarity.

Great link, that. I'm giving blood for the second time on Tuesday, but never thought about bone marrow. I think we all know someone who has been to hospital and needed blood - it takes thirty minutes of your time to give something back and save someone's life. Same with bone marrow. If you've got it, you should give it!

... Although, having said that, nobody should be forced or made to feel guilty because they don't donate :) Everyone has their reasons.

That's such a good reason for losing those 15lb - well done, you!

I'm too old for the Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow Register, but apparently I can register with the NHS one - I am going to look into that. I don't care about injections, needles etc, and have a high pain threshold, but currently I am a carer for my disabled son, so anything that takes me out of action is a no-no. However, he'll be going to a residential college soon, so I will hopefully be freer to do this sort of thing.

That's the thing, can take years and years and years. That's why if you're 41 or over, they won't let you register. It costs over £100 to put each person on the register (taking their sample and analysing their tissue type) and it can take years and years to be found as a match, though obviously sometimes it'll happen much sooner and they can't take a donation from anyone 60 or over so it isn't in their financial interest to register people over 40 because they can barely afford it as it is.

Oh bum!!!!!!!!!! There was me all motivated and then it turns out I'm to old :(

Well I've got my donor card and family know my wishes..
Well done Caroline for putting this thread on and well done everyone who can for signing up.

Legomom blood donor.. I'm not allowed to because I had an op in 98 ;(

StoppingInItsTracks's...Just seen your post..I'll check that out..Thanks :)

Just sent off my saliva sample. It said on the letter that comes with it that you won't get called forward as a match for at least 6 months, so plenty of time to get below a BMI of 35!

Back